Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Name, Mother in Law Very Religious

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

January wrote:
    Saoirse isn't pretentious would you ever get a clue.

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

What's wrong with a phone call when the baby is born, that goes a bit like this.

"A baby boy. His name is Oisin ."

That's what we did with our 3. Well, only one is called Oisin. They all have saints names as their second names but that's kinda accidental. The second names were family members we wanted to name them after.

-the fada doesn't come out right so I had to leave it out. It comes out like this

OisÃ႒­n

It's annoying me with no fada. We are an Irish speaking family btw and all 3 kids have Irish names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

nikkibikki wrote:
    "A baby boy. His name is OisÃ႒­n ."

Horrible pretentious name. Shame on you

Mod note
    *please keep the thread on topic and resist insulting other users choices*

Horrible pretentious name. Shame on you

Jeez I won't sleep right now with the shame of it! :,)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Jeez I won't sleep right now with the shame of it! :,)

Look do the decent thing and go get his name changed tomorrow by deed poll.

A random internet stranger doesn't like it. The horror of it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DrGuy

Maybe name it after St. Hubbins?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe do a middle name after a saint as a compromise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

DrGuy wrote: »
    Maybe name it after St. Hubbins?

My dad always wanted to call one of his sons after his local parish saint. St Feicheann.

Little Feicheann, can you imagine? (And yes, it's pronounced like Feckin'!)

Thankfully my mum won out on choosing my brothers' names!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

A random internet stranger doesn't like it. The horror of it all!

My mother in law probably didn't either but she's had 9 years to get used to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

nikkibikki wrote: »
    What's wrong with a phone call when the baby is born, that goes a bit like this.

That's what we did with our 3. Well, only one is called Oisin.

-the fada doesn't come out right so I had to leave it out. It comes out like this

OisÃ႒­n
    It's annoying me with no fada. We are an Irish speaking family btw and all 3 kids have Irish names.

Nikkibikki,just testing if my usual way of doing fada's works on Boards, apologies if you've tried it already Oisín

Yea it does, hit the ALT GR key at the same time as the vowel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe do a middle name after a saint as a compromise?

What compromise? It isn't the mother in law's kid!

OP, due to excitement and stuff, I engaged in conversations with my ma about names I like (none that we are honestly considering though) and she hates them. Every now and then she mentions how she doesn't want to be embarrassed introducing the kid/ asking how quirky it will be. I am just not getting into it anymore. There will be no more name discussions until Baby is here and noone will insult it then. It's the only option.

Please don't 'compromise'. It is not her child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Nobody voted for Jackson Jackson here yet, I'm disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Lucifer was a saint, wasn't he?

We came under some pressure to give the kids a "family name" even as a second or third name, but we politely declined saying the kids were their own person & shouldn't be expected to live up to anybody's name. <- that excuse should work for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Will the child not be named after a great/grandparent then? :)

There are lots of names that aren't as 'religious' like Concepta or Immaculata that are associated with saints. And remember that there are lots of local Irish saint names that are long out of fashion but that you might like - the best way to find these is to look at a list of Church of Ireland churches. :pac:
    Please don't 'compromise'. It is not her child.
    I don't think finding some balance is unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Victor wrote: »

I don't think finding some balance is unreasonable.

If it was between the OP and his wife, I would agree but why should they name THEIR child what the child's grandmother wants. As other posters pointed out, she had her time to name babies. This baby's name is none of her concern.

My mother likes very common, top 20 kinda names. I am delighted for her- but I won't be naming my baby something she wants. Why should I?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it was between the OP and his wife, I would agree but why should they name THEIR child what the child's grandmother wants.
    But there are thousands of names that could be called 'religious'. Maybe a name the parents like will suit granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

But why should it suit granny in the first place?

Yea it does, hit the ALT GR key at the same time as the vowel

Yep that works on the computer but I'm using the Android app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

LirW wrote: »
    But why should it suit granny in the first place?
    Because she's family? Obviously, the child's parents are closer family, and it's they who will decide what to name the child, but it's common for parents making that decision to take family traditions and the views of and connections with the extended family into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Because she's family? Obviously, the child's parents are closer family, and it's they who will decide what to name the child, but it's common for parents making that decision to take family traditions and the views of and connections with the extended family into account.

I don't think it's as common as you're implying. I'm sure it happens, but in 2017 the naming of a child is made regardless of what a relative wants for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pick any name of your choice and then use an internet template to show it as the patron saint of deep sea divers or whatever. Everyone happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Why not call the child judas or pontious pilate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Tbh anyone you tell baby names to before the baby is here will have an opinion. It's nobody's business but yours and your wife's and you be best just nod and agree until baby is registered.
    I never told anyone until after the baby arrived. I did on my first (told my best friend and she hated the name, so she ridiculed it) but I stuck with it and it really suited her.
    Sometimes, we pick a name, baby arrives and it doesn't suit them. I changed my 2nd girls' name in the delivery room. She was going to be Emily Grace, I switched it around cos she didn't look like an Emily :D.
    Sounds like the baby name will be the start of a lot of interference. Best advice is nod, agree, then do your own thing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

You could compromise with a religious middle name, or you could advise your MIL that you are thinking of not Christening the baby and then she'll start to care less about what names you pick and more about the latter. It would work on my very religious mother.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jermaine? :P

Ah no seriously - this is the perfect opportunity to test your skills at fending off unsolicited comments on your parenting. Because you WILL have a lot of it - from feeding to co-sleeping to buggies and all that. It's all ahead of ya and if you let it slide, then before you know it, they are dictating what the child wears, undermining your discipline methods and overriding your authority at every turn.

The name list is usually the first one of these to bring the...eh.. opinionated.. out of the woodwork nice and early. Same ones will regale your wife with horror stories of births, or insist on giving your baby a rusk at 6 weeks (because in their day yada yada...) or insist on outdated practices like sleeping on the tummy. Practice some non-commital butt-out response "we'll have a think about that" or "we'll make a note of it" etc that can be as polite or as sarcastic or as rude as you like.

We were lucky that we had siblings who had gone down that road before us so we knew not to tell people our names list. As it happens, we had a girl name sorted but not a boy and in the end he was a few days old before we picked it, and he was registered in the hospital with that name before we announced it to the family.

Pick what you like, don't be drawn on names, or have a bit of fun with it and tell people a few fake choices to enjoy their reaction (we had a list of obscure ancient greek and egypt names), because once it's on the birth cert, very few people are going to criticise what is a given name for the child when it cant be changed. If you wanted to mollify her then you could pick something suitable as a middle name, but again, don't discuss or consult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

Smile, nod, take it under advisement. Tell her and everyone else you're still thinking about it. Then when the baby's born send the text with the name. This isn't a conversation you need to entertain (from anyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

It's your baby, you're going to be the ones yelling at it to put that bag of sweets down in the middle of the supermarket, so it has to be a name you guys like!
    My mother-in-law was pushing for some variation of her late husband's name, even when we found out we were having a girl. That was never going to happen! We told her we were calling the baby Beyonce, and kept that going until we had her. She completely fell for it so the name we chose was a huge relief for her! With number 2, the pressure was on again as it's a boy, so again we used an awful name and then gave him her hubby's name as a second middle name, so that worked.
    Go with a fake name if you want, throw her off the scent. Your wife will have to put her foot down though, as others have said, she's had her opportunity to name babies already.
    Chances are, unless you go really "out there", there'll be a religious link to most names. We inadvertently went with two names that are high profile in the Old Testament, and so classically Hebrew that I keep getting asked if I'm Jewish, even though we're both atheist!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Say nothing.Baby is born, ring MIL, tell them X is born.End of.The child has two parents, not three or four or six (depending on how many grandparents are there).
    Also I'd suggest that this is a minor debacle conpared to some of the stuff that could happen once the baby is here, so a few serious conversations between yourselves on how to tackle this type of thing would probably be helpful around now.....

Advertisement