Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport questioning

Options
  • 28-06-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I was travelling through Dublin last week on a weekend break to Paris with my partner. After passing through the security screening in Terminal 2 and heading towards the duty free we were stopped by two security personnel and questioned about our trip. Checked passports/boarding passes, where we were staying, what we were going to do there, were we employed, where we worked and what we did, what does the company do, how much money we had, why was our trip so short (it was a weekend break..)

It was grand, only lasted a couple of minutes and we were on our way but have never had this happen before. Anybody else ever experience this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I was travelling through Dublin last week on a weekend break to Paris with my partner. After passing through the security screening in Terminal 2 and heading towards the duty free we were stopped by two security personnel and questioned about our trip. Checked passports/boarding passes, where we were staying, what we were going to do there, were we employed, where we worked and what we did, what does the company do, how much money we had, why was our trip so short (it was a weekend break..)

It was grand, only lasted a couple of minutes and we were on our way but have never had this happen before. Anybody else ever experience this?

Gardai, Airport Police, or Customs and Excise?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Gardai, Airport Police, or Customs and Excise?

Actually not 100% sure as I was kind of caught unawares by it. They were wearing white shirts with epaulettes and had ID card lanyards.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

Sounds like airport search unit. Unless it was customs, strange for them to do that. Google image their uniform, quite distinctive difference with their epaulettes from the search unit. If it was the search unit they've no right to be asking you anything really, other than whats in your bags etc when you pass through security screening. I'd write in a letter of complaint to the daa if it was them. Did you get names etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

More likely customs no? doubt ASU would be arsed/allowed to ask those sort of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I have read recently there is some very official people asking questions for surveying purposes but in a security like manner, to get people to answer could it be this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

More likely customs no? doubt ASU would be arsed/allowed to ask those sort of questions.

Some jobsworths there like to go way outside their scope even when they're just strolling around on their breaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

laotg wrote: »
    Sounds like airport search unit. They've no right to be asking you anything really, other than whats in your bags etc when you pass through security screening. I'd write in a letter of complaint to the daa. Did you get names etc?

They didn't look at bags at all or ask what we had in them etc. Just the passports/boarding cards and questions. I didn't get names or anything as I didn't really think anything more of it until I was telling someone at work about it today and they said it was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

mightyreds wrote: »
    I have read recently there is some very official people asking questions for surveying purposes but in a security like manner, to get people to answer could it be this?
    That's outrageous if true. Anyone approached in this way should ask for ID and what the purpose of the questioning is - and tell them to take a hike if the answer isn't satisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Reports this morning that the Kinehans are transferring large amounts of cash out of the country through Dublin Airport.

It could be part of a crack down on this

pclive wrote: »
    Reports this morning that the Kinehans are transferring large amounts of cash out of the country through Dublin Airport.

It could be part of a crack down on this
    Doubt it. That would be gardai asking the questions. If they were not in uniform, they would identify themselves, and it doesn't sound like they were gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm not a 'free man of the state' or any of that nonsense, but I wouldn't be answering questions to anyone without a formal introduction of who they are and what the purpose of their questions is. They're obliged to tell you and you're within your rights to not respond to questioning until your satisfied.

I had a similar experience with that private security company that does the initial screening in the queues for the American flights, there was one guy ear wandering in ear shot (Clearly a trainer or US Customs in plain clothes as the guy I was speaking to was very 'first day on the job') but I wasn't answering until he told me who he was. They were more than friendly about it and went about our days afterwards.

I'd suggest everyone to watch this video, its not just aimed at an American audience and its truly an interesting 45 mins for how to interact with officials the world over. Its not an anti police rant and the case studies he gives are excellent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

After passing through the security screening in Terminal 2 and heading towards the duty free we were stopped by two security personnel and questioned about our trip.

Did they introduce themselves i.e. did they say who they worked for, their job titles?

You said they had white shirts with epaulettes - I'd need a little more than that before answering questions at a point in the airport where I would not expect to meet 'security personnel'.

Even the people doing tourism surveys tell you who they are and why they're asking questions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty sure the CSO checkers wear civilian clothes and they most definitely introduce themselves and explain that its optional

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Everyone working at Dub regardless who they are must display their DAA ID badge,These come in different colours and access to certain parts of the terminals and ramp distinguish them.
    As for some of the questions asked Foxtrot Oscar would have been my reply, The Gardai and Revenue are the only ones who can ask you question and even then that's limited.
    Unless your going to the states were you go through CBP and some other private company that does extra security,Around the aircraft and at the entrance to the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Everyone working at Dub regardless who they are must display their DAA ID badge,These come in different colours and access to certain parts of the terminals and ramp distinguish them.
    As for some of the questions asked Foxtrot Oscar would have been my reply, The Gardai and Revenue are the only ones who can ask you question and even then that's limited.
    Unless your going to the states were you go through CBP and some other private company that does extra security,Around the aircraft and at the entrance to the aircraft.

More than AGS or Customs can ask you questions...

Airport Police and Immigration are obvious ones.

ICTS (the security company you reference) have no statutory powers but certain passengers may be subject to contractual scenarios that infers "powers" on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

More than AGS or Customs can ask you questions...

Airport Police and Immigration are obvious ones.

ICTS (the security company you reference) have no statutory powers but certain passengers may be subject to contractual scenarios that infers "powers" on them.

Ah I forgot about the airport police and Immigration lads, But even then they to are limited to tbe questions they can ask a pax.
    Couldn't remember the name of the private security crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Unless they are putting you in some form of danger, I dont see the issue here. Tighter security is better than none

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

elsa21 wrote: »
    Unless they are putting you in some form of danger, I dont see the issue here. Tighter security is better than none

I work in Information Security, and you'd be amazed what someone can do with 30s of your time and some choice questions. You should never, ever blindly talk to someone who claims to be in a position of authority regardless of how official they look. An officer or someone with authority will have zero problem in explaining who they are and what the purpose of their questioning is, likewise they'll be happy to prove it with an ID or similar. Just be polite, you can be firm without being defensive and pleading the 5th :pac:

The OPs instance aside, you're putting yourself in danger by giving what could be potentially lucrative information to an individual.

I'd write to the DAA if I were the OP, and ask who they were and what it was about? If it is in fact a private security firm, what happens to the information also, who is it passed on to etc?

'contractual scenarios' :confused: Could we stick to plain English please?

So like the OP, I'm walking down to the gates after passing through security and those guys approach me to ask me the same string of questions - what happens if I politely tell them to sod off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

coylemj wrote: »

So like the OP, I'm walking down to the gates after passing through security and those guys approach me to ask me the same string of questions - what happens if I politely tell them to sod off?

Does that not depend on who they are? Have you read the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

elsa21 wrote: »

Giving personal information to someone without a clue who they are is an excellent way of putting yourself in all types of danger. Just because you don't perceive a physical threat doesn't mean there is no threat, to think otherwise is incredibly naive.

How many con artists I wonder are zoning in on attitudes like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

coylemj wrote: »

ICTS Act for some airlines; you buy your ticket and you agree to conditions, hence plain English for "contractual"

ICTS Act for some airlines; you buy your ticket and you agree to conditions, hence plain English for "contractual"
    That might work at the departure gate, where it's fairly clear what the context is, but not generally roaming around the airport.

plodder wrote: »
    That might work at the departure gate, where it's fairly clear what the context is, but not generally roaming around the airport.

Exactly, I got grilled in Heathrow last year when about to board an American flight to the US so I was at the gate for my specific flight and I answered the questions they asked me. As there is no pre-clearance in LHR, I took it to be a practice run at the immigration questions I might be asked stateside so that if I came across with a dud story, American could refuse to let me board.

The OP's situation was different...
    After passing through the security screening in Terminal 2 and heading towards the duty free we were stopped by two security personnel and questioned about our trip

Who are these people and why should you disclose information about your job and your employer to them? Why should you tell them anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Large amounts of cash are detected by the cash smelling dogs operated by Customs who have good profiling for this.

However, if anyone stopped me post security I think I would do a double take and ask who they are. Surely they would introduce themselves as such and such and have ID to prove it.

I have no problem whatsoever with layers of security anywhere, provided they are legit.

Remember the people smuggling ring in DA? They got away with that for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I would nearly guarantee it is Tourism Ireland/CSO carrying out passenger surveys, although I'm surprised they didn't introduce themselves as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Last time CSO/Tourism approached me it was to fill in a short questionnaire. No verbal questions other than to introduce themselves. Anyone else had the same?

Verbal interrogation is a different animal. But it could be from the same source, I dunno. Surprised they didn't explain who they were and what they were doing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Reminds me one time about 10 years ago when i was JFK bound. I was standing in a huge queue for checking my baggage in terminal 1 on my own. A man approached me in a suit and asked me to follow him. He probably identified himself etc but can't remember who he was now but i think maybe security. Brought me to a corner with a table and checked inside my suitcase and i think asked some questions. I think he mentioned i was a random spot check in the airport...

Anyway for the inconvenience of being searched he brought me right up to the front of the queue and instructed the woman behind the counter to check me in next :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Last time CSO/Tourism approached me it was to fill in a short questionnaire. No verbal questions other than to introduce themselves. Anyone else had the same?

Verbal interrogation is a different animal. But it could be from the same source, I dunno. Surprised they didn't explain who they were and what they were doing though.

Having read the OP again, I would actually suspect it was customs. I had forgotten that CSO surveys are written forms.

Advertisement