Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metropolis 2017

Options
  • 27-06-2017 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

First acts due to be announced this week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hard to know what to expect, line up the first year was brilliant I thought but last years was poor enough. Would love if Justice were one of the headliners as they have not announced any Irish dates and are touring Europe up until the week prior to Metropolis.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hard to know what to expect, line up the first year was brilliant I thought but last years was poor enough. Would love if Justice were one of the headliners as they have not announced any Irish dates and are touring Europe up until the week prior to Metropolis.

Yea agreed the first year was great but last years line up was very meh in which they lost money over it. Yea can def see Justice headlining since they have yet to turn up over here during the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I couldn't score any yokes at the last one so I won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

hopefully it's a POD event without Booka Shade or Groove Armada on the lineup for the umpteenth time.

hopefully it's a POD event without Booka Shade or Groove Armada on the lineup for the umpteenth time.

Or the return of Chic

• Advertisement

19467805_1921483754774673_5387605361642693200_o.jpg?oh=28006b2e2eade8b283c0d477950eeab7&oe=59D24546

Tickets go on sale at 9am Friday via Ticketmaster.ie starting at €99.50
    www.metropolisfestival.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That's pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mmm. Not an inspiring start, is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Lady Danger

It's too soon after the Picnic. Could attract a lot of passing scU mbags being the Halloween bank holiday weekend.

It was great close to Christmas last year - broke up the boredom of the winter.

It's only a week earlier than last year if I'm not mistaken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

It's too soon after the Picnic. Could attract a lot of passing scU mbags being the Halloween bank holiday weekend.

It was great close to Christmas last year - broke up the boredom of the winter.

No chance. There's that samhain rave out by the airport, and I'd imagine barndance will be doing their usual halloween party that weekend too. Strange that there would be three big rave-ish events on the same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

It's only a week earlier than last year if I'm not mistaken?

My bad - apologies. You're right.

I recalled it as 5th December but you're right it was November.

I'll delete my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

D.Q wrote: »
    No chance. There's that samhain rave out by the airport, and I'd imagine barndance will be doing their usual halloween party that weekend too. Strange that there would be three big rave-ish events on the same weekend.

You're right, that Annie Mac/Samhain gig is on the same weekend - will split the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think it's a decent start.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

I think it's a decent start.
    Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

To be fair, my initial lack of enthusiasm is based largely from ignorance, rather than a dislike for the acts announced. Will have to go do some research. Bonzai would be the person I'd most be familiar with. Aside from TLC, but we'll ignore that :p

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Who is TLC is that not Townlands Carnival?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Who is TLC is that not Townlands Carnival?

I think you're slightly off there Bodhrandude, don't go chasing waterfalls.

Knex. wrote: »
    To be fair, my initial lack of enthusiasm is based largely from ignorance, rather than a dislike for the acts announced. Will have to go do some research. Bonzai would be the person I'd most be familiar with. Aside from TLC, but we'll ignore that :p

Any recommendations?
    Mount Kimbie
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hTN19x1DyM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdYj-jCcMFg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1TFxao0oI

Death In Vegas
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08csQL31Bhc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbCdLUSIqL0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcKgtyEGBSs

Leftfield Leftism is a classic too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z15lJR79pTg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEuMAV_gPIE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKDaR5QjOR0

19601250_1922731231316592_7108233718650756499_n.png?oh=ffaa3611c07d41e7716cb983c6a93f9f&oe=59C3E881

You would wonder how many of the €99 tickets were even on sale

• Advertisement

19601250_1922731231316592_7108233718650756499_n.png?oh=ffaa3611c07d41e7716cb983c6a93f9f&oe=59C3E881

You would wonder how many of the €99 tickets were even on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Blut2

That's an atrocious line-up. How on earth are TLC a headliner? What a waste of money that could have been used on a better act. They're a university student bar midweek gig caliber.

The lack of day tickets is a big problem too. I can't see many people willing to pay 130eur+booking fee for a full price weekend ticket. I'd have no interest in going for 2 days, so would happily pay slightly over the halfway price for a day ticket ,say 70-75eur. If there was a good line-up.

Blut2 wrote: »
    That's an atrocious line-up. How on earth are TLC a headliner? What a waste of money that could have been used on a better act. They're a university student bar midweek gig caliber.

The lack of day tickets is a big problem too. I can't see many people willing to pay 130eur+booking fee for a full price weekend ticket. I'd have no interest in going for 2 days, so would happily pay slightly over the halfway price for a day ticket ,say 70-75eur. If there was a good line-up.
    they said on facebook that day tickets will be released later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Blut2 wrote: »

Nostalgia will bring lots to see tlc who contrary to your quite ignorant comment were actually a popular band. They do day tickets every year as a simple bit of research would prove to you. Apart from tlc I think it is a fine lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

There's only 9 acts revealed of a possible what, 30/35 altogether? Plenty of room for the line-up to grow. Already have a couple heavyweight names in Richie Hawtin and Leftfield and good selection of mid line-up bands in Jungle, Booka Brass and Mount Kimbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Blut2

Peter File wrote: »
    Nostalgia will bring lots to see tlc who contrary to your quite ignorant comment were actually a popular band. They do day tickets every year as a simple bit of research would prove to you. Apart from tlc I think it is a fine lineup.

There are no day tickets on sale as of today, so my post gave out about the lack of day tickets currently being on sale. Seems reasonable to me.

TLC had 3 hit singles in Ireland in the mid 1990s. They weren't particularly notably popular at the time, nevermind now 20+ years later and one band member down. Acts like East 17, Five, S Club 7 etc had far more hits in Ireland in the 1990s and regularly play student bars now - TLC are definitely at that caliber of act.

Longitude and Forbidden fruit have lower ticket prices and manage to get current, international headline quality, acts like The Weekend, Kendrick Lamar, Disclosure etc. Thats the level Metropolis should be aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

There's only 9 acts revealed of a possible what, 30/35 altogether? Plenty of room for the line-up to grow. Already have a couple heavyweight names in Richie Hawtin and Leftfield and good selection of mid line-up bands in Jungle, Booka Brass and Mount Kimbie.

That's what I thought after the initial line up last year but the second announcement was even worse. Not an awful lineup but definitely not good value for money at this stage nor did I think last years line up was good value. They set the bar too high the first year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Will there be day tickets at some stage ir not? Above pists gave me confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Will there be day tickets at some stage ir not? Above pists gave me confused?

They will have day tickets for sale

• Advertisement

some additions/day breakdowns.
    I thought the Saturday would be a full day, not the "opening concert" nonsense like the Thursday last year, would be fairly raging if I got a weekend ticket due to all the likely Sunday clashes.

If I do get a ticket now, it'll probably only be for the Sunday, although at €80+ for a day ticket, I probably just won't bother TBH.

20375755_1937572936499088_6956052056096650984_n.jpg?oh=4c1a4739a5bf7962b23a3878f56e3f68&oe=5A3753AB

Advertisement