Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Honor Discussion (Spoilers)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The thing with cody is i dont remembering him ever having any great singles matches but randy has many but i would say cody is more charismatic than randy but its not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

J. Marston wrote:
    I just don't see it. I struggle to remember a single promo of his that had me interested. More or less the same with his matches. He's a good wrestler but he's terribly bland.

Charisma and promo skills are two different things though. Whether or not his promos are memorable don't really matter once the crowd is paying attention to what he is saying. He oozes star appeal at times. Take Daniel Bryan for example, his promo skills were easily his weakest point but he was incredibly naturally charismatic. The crowd were just attracted to him by instinct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yes, Randy had a great presence about him. His staleness now is a differant issue.

Cody does not have that presence though. Fair play to him for doing what he is doing though, I doubt Randy would ever have tried it.

Interesting that he was able to make so many bookings at a time where WWE hoover up so much of his competition into a better/safer environment. I figure he could be a greater success behind the stage than in the ring down the road.

I think his staleness now is more of a sign of the staleness of the product in general rather than his own doing. What babyface in WWE isn't stale right now? Sure, AJ is still amazing in the ring but as a character he is pretty white meat. Finn, Shinsuke, Shield, Roode.... I genuinely can't think of any other top level babyfaces in the company at the moment... they're all pretty boring as characters. Same goes for the heels...Owens and Zayn are ok same with Joe....everyone else...Ziggler, The Bar, Corbin, Kane... I can't think of any reason why I'd be particularly excited to see any of them at the moment.

Not sure this is the thread for discussing Randy but the chap has enough stock to demand he makes something happen for himself. He is stale but he is around long enough to do more about it if he wanted too. He did well last year with the Wyatt gig but nothing changed out of it. That is also on him.

Cena left but Orton never moved up, AJ Styles walked in and took Randy's spot, made **** story's work and with the almost nothing storylines since becoming face again managed to end up more liked/respected even though that shouldn't be possible.

Look at Jericho, the man got a clip board over.

Since it is ROH, look at Cody, stuck in Stardust mode he made something happen for himself by taking a step back and presenting himself as something special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Charisma and promo skills are two different things though. Whether or not his promos are memorable don't really matter once the crowd is paying attention to what he is saying. He oozes star appeal at times. Take Daniel Bryan for example, his promo skills were easily his weakest point but he was incredibly naturally charismatic. The crowd were just attracted to him by instinct.

Daniel Bryan was and is fantastic on the microphone. That's literally why he got where he got, because he opened Vince's eye with his heel promos in early 2012 when he was paired with AJ.

He's a fantastic comedy heel on the mic. I think saying his skills on the mic is and was fantastic is a gross exaggeration. His comedy and fantastic in ring skills and matches got him where he was, not his ability on the mic. He had the crowd on his side because of his aforementioned charisma so anything he said got a reaction, but to say that he had memorable fantastic serious promos is wrong in my opinion. I'd go as far to say that his mic skills being his weak point wouldn't be an unpopular opinion if you looked into it. Each to their own though!

His retirement promo was one of the best talking segments of the last 2 decades.

Monokne wrote: »
    His retirement promo was one of the best talking segments of the last 2 decades.

Did a great take on a Heyman promo a few weeks ago. His promo for Summerslam with Cena hyped up that bout very well.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Did a great take on a Heyman promo a few weeks ago. His promo for Summerslam with Cena hyped up that bout very well.

All his work on building the 2014 Wrestlemania holds up very well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wouldn't consider Daniel Bryan fantastic on the mic at all. I'd struggle to think of five non-shoot promos of his that I enjoyed and would want to hear again. I would say the success of the Yes chant is really what opened their eyes to him rather than fantastic mic work.

Yeah a retirement speech isn't really a promo though. It'd be like me saying Beth Phoenix was one of the best women in history to work the mic and cite her Hall of Fame speech as an example. It's vastly different confines and situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bumping as Kenny Omega joins Hiroshi Tanahashi as the first two names confirmed ROH's Supercard Of Honor in New Orleans in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Apparently the plan is to do Cody vs Kenny Omega at WrestleMania weekend which is all kinds of interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

LeeJM wrote: »
    Apparently the plan is to do Cody vs Kenny Omega at WrestleMania weekend which is all kinds of interesting

Is there much more shows in between to set it up more than they have as kenny doesnt do roh tv much if at all

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

For ROH? I get NJPW it's the second biggest wrestling company in the world. ROH seems a bit small time for Y2J.

I've started watching the ROH weekly show on the Fite TV app. Just wondering what "Honor club" is though? An ad keeps coming on saying it will launch in 2018. Will it be their own streaming service?

Hopefully it is with old events and live ppvs.. The ROH ppvs are priced at E35 on the Fite TV app!!!

LeeJM wrote: »

Well after Episodes #90 & the ending to #91 of Being The Elite, it's officially set for Super Card Of Honor XII.

I've started watching the ROH weekly show on the Fite TV app. Just wondering what "Honor club" is though? An ad keeps coming on saying it will launch in 2018. Will it be their own streaming service?

Hopefully it is with old events and live ppvs.. The ROH ppvs are priced at E35 on the Fite TV app!!!

Details -

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/honorclub-launch-imminent?utm_content=buffer11346&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Enjoying the weekly ROH show.

Only started watching it since the new year but it's an easy hour to watch and they've a great roster imo.

• Advertisement

BREAKING: #HonorReignsSupreme will stream LIVE and for FREE tomorrow (Fri Feb 9) at 7p EST on https://t.co/TK7t4IuHzx, Facebook Live, & @FiteTV. We thank you all as we transition to our new website, app, and #ROHHonorClub! https://t.co/zx0oqvNUa7 for more https://t.co/3NvLL2QFtP

Tenille Dashwood (f.k.a Emma turned up)
    at Honor Reigns Supreme and was announced as the final participant in the Women of Honor tournament to determine the first champion for the division.

Good move for both parties that. There are not many female talent with a reasonable following & good exposure who can really go outside WWE so for ROH, they get someone who can anchor the division. For her, it's a place to earn solid bookings, keep her name out there, and ensure she's ripe for an NXT return in the next 18 months ala Ohno/McIntyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ROH new streaming site Honorclub at $9.99 month or $99.99 a year or VIP $119.99.

VIP gets you all PPV's.

https://www.rohwrestling.com/nonmembership

Advertisement