Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Honor Discussion (Spoilers)

Options
  • 24-06-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

RING OF HONOR: BEST IN THE WORLD
    Cody Rhodes is the new Ring Of Honor World Champion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    RING OF HONOR: BEST IN THE WORLD
    Cody Rhodes is the new Ring Of Honor World Champion
    Deserved. I've been following him since he left and genuinely I believe you'll see him again in wwe before you'll Omega there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Deserved. I've been following him since he left and genuinely I believe you'll see him again in wwe before you'll Omega there.

And the first
    World Championship for the Rhodes family in 30 years

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    And the first
    World Championship for the Rhodes family in 30 years
    We need a separate thread for this! Had Cody stayed in wwe I'm absolutely confident he would have been champ on SD by now. Guy is so underrated but I understand and admire his reasons for leaving.

Figured a shiny new ROH thread is warranted, seeing as the other threads are several years old.

ring-of-honor-logo-roh-social-5.jpg

We need a separate thread for this! Had Cody stayed in wwe I'm absolutely confident he would have been champ on SD by now. Guy is so underrated but I understand and admire his reasons for leaving.

Definitely, maybe one of the mods can move it here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103896103#post103896103

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Haven't followed his indy run but I seriously doubt Cody would've got anywhere near the World Title in WWE, either of them, had he stayed.

He was/is just so bland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Reading the spoilers in the news thread there is probably a lot to talk about here alright.

I'm not 100% on New Japan too but
    does that mean it'll be the ROH champion going for the NJPW championship against Okada on a show soon?

Fair play to Cody. I think we will see him a WWE ring again but the longer he is away the bigger a star he can become

J. Marston wrote: »
    Haven't followed his indy run but I seriously doubt Cody would've got anywhere near the World Title in WWE, either of them, had he stayed.

He was/is just so bland.

Given Jinder happened and Corbin is champion elect, Cody would have absolutely got his chance. But as I said he was right to hold himself in higher regard.

Reading the spoilers in the news thread there is probably a lot to talk about here alright.

I'm not 100% on New Japan too but
    does that mean it'll be the ROH champion going for the NJPW championship against Okada on a show soon?

Fair play to Cody. I think we will see him a WWE ring again but the longer he is away the bigger a star he can become

Aye Cody has the chance to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship @ the G1 Climax next week, if he can beat Kazuchika Okada.

Leaving the WWE has worked out well for him so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Cody's not Indian nor is he new talent. He absolutely made the right choice. He was not sniffing the top of the card in WWE. He had peaked and gone downhill by the time he left. The mere fact they gave him a complete release tells you how highly they thought of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Monokne wrote:
    Cody's not Indian nor is he new talent. He absolutely made the right choice. He was not sniffing the top of the card in WWE. He had peaked and gone downhill by the time he left. The mere fact they gave him a complete release tells you how highly they thought of him.

Why didn't they give him his second name if they thought that little of him?
    Stardust was a dreadful idea & even if it had miraculously caught on they'd ruin it quick.
    Doing miles better for himself elsewhere & will be a far better wrestler long term for it. I'd rather be him than down in NXT or stuck in midcard limbo who are just happy to be there going nowhere.

Monokne wrote: »

Cody was a new talent at one point and excelled in spite of the bad gimmicks they threw at him. They gave him a release because they had no choice to because he believed he was better than what they gave him....and he was right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Forgot to mention when I did it, but moved some posts over from the News thread to this one.

Cody was a new talent at one point and excelled in spite of the bad gimmicks they threw at him. They gave him a release because they had no choice to because he believed he was better than what they gave him....and he was right.

In what sense had they no choice? They could have said no, like they did to Bryan when he wanted out. But they viewed him as someone of value to outside companies, unlike Cody.

My point was not a comment on his talent. It was on how the higher ups see him, which is much more important. They saw him as Stardust and when he wanted out of that gimmick, they said no. He went 50-50 in a feud with Titus O'Neill 18 months ago.

He's better off where he is. He would not be at the top of the card in WWE had he stayed.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Why didn't they give him his second name if they thought that little of him?
    Because WWE never allows talent use WWE's intellectual property on the outside. Whether you're a nobody like Kizarny or Sandow, someone with legitimate claims to the name like the Dudleys, or a superstar like Del Rio, what WWE trademarks, WWE keeps.

Kenny Omega will be defending his IWGP United States Championship in both Ring Of Honor & New Japan Pro Wrestling, with his first defense of the title expected in October.

And that Kenny will stay with NJPW through early 2019.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0708/627886/backstage-news-on-kenny-omega-status-with-njpw/

Bumping this as Cody Rhodes & Young Bucks Reportedly Planning To Finance 10,000 Seat Event In 2018.

According to Pro Wrestling Sheet is reporting Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks are in discussions to host a self-financed event with a 10,000 seat capacity sometime next year.

It all stems from Meltzer saying "ROH couldn’t sell out a 10,000 seat show"

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/904099-cody-rhodes-young-bucks-reportedly-planning-to-finance-10000-seat-event-in-2018#/slide/1

ROH will be unveiling a new World Championship at their Final Battle show in New York this evening. Obviously won't put it here cause spoilers and what not.

They've already unveiled it. It's on videos Cody put out and stuff ROH has put out.

Well I only mentioned not posting it as you know the element of surprise for those who don't watch the promo videos or don't follow Cody on social media.

• Advertisement

FINAL BATTLE SPOILERS AHOY, READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL OBVIOUSLY.
    Matt Taven def. Will Ospreay

War Machine def. the Addiction with a tandem top rope leg lariat/slam

Jay Lethal def. Marty Scurll with a low blow followed up by the Lethal Injection

The Motor City Machine Guns (c) def. the Best Friends to retain the ROH Tag Team titles after Chris Saban is able use his momentum from a piledriver from Chucky T to deliver a jackknife pin to Barreta

Silas Young def. Kenny King, Punishment Martinez, & Shane Taylor in a Four Corners Elimination match to win the ROH Television title. He picked up the win when he hit Misery on Punishment Martinez for the final elimination.

The Briscoes def. Tommy Dreamer and Bully Ray in a New York Street Fight

The Young Bucks & Adam Page def. Flip Gordon, Dragon Lee and Titan vs. to retain the ROH Six Man Tag Team championship.

Dalton Castle def. Cody to win the ROH World Championship with the Bangarang

It was also announced at Final Battle that Ring Of Honor will be having a tournament to crown the first ever Women Of Honor World Champion.

http://rohworld.com/details-roh-women-honor-championship/

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Best Friends pre match promo was delightful. Also a big fan of anyone bleaching their hair just for the sake of a good blade job. Lethal/Scurll was good.

Don't watch much ROH but gave this a watch.

Enjoyed Lethal Vs Scurll.

I just don't get the hype around Cody. Granted I don't see every match of his but anytime I do I just find him very bland like when he was in WWE.

What do people think of Cabana on commentary? Not a big fan myself.

Don't watch much ROH but gave this a watch.

Enjoyed Lethal Vs Scurll.

I just don't get the hype around Cody. Granted I don't see every match of his but anytime I do I just find him very bland like when he was in WWE.

What do people think of Cabana on commentary? Not a big fan myself.

Lethal/Scurrl was brilliant. Especially the bit
    with the folding chair

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Cody is sort of like Orton or at least personally he reminds me a lot of Orton. He has the character down and all the charisma in the world but he doesn't seem to like rocking the boat much in-ring, he keeps it simple but everything be does is fundamentally sound.

Cody is ok - good. He's used his name, his twitter, & his connection with the BC to get the absolute most out of himself. But his middle of the road matches and promos keep me from being interested.

Cody is sort of like Orton or at least personally he reminds me a lot of Orton. He has the character down and all the charisma in the world but he doesn't seem to like rocking the boat much in-ring, he keeps it simple but everything be does is fundamentally sound.
    Reminds me a lot of Orton
    All the charisma in the world

Rewind a bit there now...

Orton? Charisma? Has?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

You honestly think Orton would be on the top end of the card if not the top for pretty much 13 years straight in WWE if he had no charisma? The one wrestling company in the world where there's almost more emphasis placed on charisma than there is wrestling? Think you're allowing your opinions to blind yourself there I'm afraid. When he's a heel he gets the biggest jeers and when he's a face he can get some of the biggest pops of the night just by raising his arms up and down.

• Advertisement

You honestly think Orton would be on the top end of the card if not the top for pretty much 13 years straight in WWE if he had no charisma? The one wrestling company in the world where there's almost more emphasis placed on charisma than there is wrestling? Think you're allowing your opinions to blind yourself there I'm afraid. When he's a heel he gets the biggest jeers and when he's a face he can get some of the biggest pops of the night just by raising his arms up and down.

I just don't see it. I struggle to remember a single promo of his that had me interested. More or less the same with his matches. He's a good wrestler but he's terribly bland.

I think the RKO is the biggest crutch in wrestling today for him.

Advertisement