Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you change your phone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got my first phone in 1996. Would say I've had a maximum of 10 different phones since then. Probably less. I tend to find a phone I like and just stick with it until it breaks.

Would still be on the Moto G I bought a couple of years ago but it went through the washing machine last year and smashed to pieces :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Like most above, usually every 2 years but this time sticking with my Note 4 for the foreseeable future as there is just nothing that interests me in any recent releases. It will probably need a new battery after the summer, I've had it 3 and a half years at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Ever year, because work gives me a new one every summer, I get to keep the previous one too, so that gets passed to my wife.

I usually get the best mid-range phone available in a Bricks & Mortar, which is fine for my needs, and if it's getting replaced each year I never have to worry about Android updates or battery performance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

About every 2 years.
    Most important feature is that it has dual sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I used to upgrade every 18 mths - 2 years. I am still using my Samsung S6 at the moment and am out of contract. Nothing out there seems to interest me, they are either curved screens with this narrow display or really big screens so I am sticking with what I have.

That way my bill is cheaper, the phone still works really well, really good camera, phone is still really quick and the battery is alright :)

• Advertisement

Vahevala wrote: »
    I used to upgrade every 18 mths - 2 years. I am still using my Samsung S6 at the moment and am out of contract. Nothing out there seems to interest me, they are either curved screens with this narrow display or really big screens so I am sticking with what I have.

That way my bill is cheaper, the phone still works really well, really good camera, phone is still really quick and the battery is alright :)

S6 battery was brutal. You'd love (and deserve) a new phone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Basil3 wrote: »
    S6 battery was brutal. You'd love (and deserve) a new phone :D

I don't find it that bad, in the end of the day, I am usually around a power supply if I need to charge it up.

Like I say, there isn't really much out there that I am interested in getting. I am not a fan of curved displays and the regular iPhone screen is too small for me and the plus size is too big :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've just had my much loved z3 compact swapped under warranty just shy of 2 years. The replacement, while I assume is a refurb, looks and feels brand new (2+ days battery ftw) so I expect another solid 2 years minimum. Not bad for a phone that was free in the first place from the old job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Basil3 wrote:
    S6 battery was brutal. You'd love (and deserve) a new phone

Yeah my wife's one was useless after 13 months. She loves the V20, plus it's easily replaceable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Last phone before my current Moto G4 play was the first gen Moto G and it lasted me three years. Moto G's are built to last and it was still perfectly functional and battery was fine, but screen was fairly battered from 3 years of abuse. Also wanted NFC for topping up Leap Card, so plumped for the G4 Play when it was available for €100 delivered direct from Motorola UK.

Add in my €10 a month on 48 plan, and my phone costs are very little. Couldn't fathom spending €700+ or tying into 24 month contracts that a lot of people seem happy to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Nearly have my Galaxy S2 6 years but I've been running with custom ROM's for almost two years. It has come at a cost as I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to completely wipe my phone. Recently I've been losing the battle to keep it going as I've had a lot of overheating issues, battery draining quicker than I could charge it, lot of issues with Whatsapp. So a few days ago I bought the S8 off Amazon.it for 580€. Let's see if my 10€ a month plan with 48 Months can handle this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

not1but4 wrote: »
    Nearly have my Galaxy S2 6 years but I've been running with custom ROM's for almost two years. It has come at a cost as I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to completely wipe my phone. Recently I've been losing the battle to keep it going as I've had a lot of overheating issues, battery draining quicker than I could charge it, lot of issues with Whatsapp. So a few days ago I bought the S8 off Amazon.it for 580€. Let's see if my 10€ a month plan with 48 Months can handle this phone.

1GB of data, you could easily hit that in a month with a modern smart phone depending on your usage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

FrostyJim wrote:
    1GB of data, you could easily hit that in a month with a modern smart phone depending on your usage.

Jesus, that's nothing. I easily use 10GBs a month and I'm mainly on WiFi. Move to a meteor SIM only they have a 10GB plan with unlimited texts and 400 minutes for 20e. Much better service coverage than 48 too.

I like SIM only as you don't need to worry about topping up..

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

FrostyJim wrote: »

When I got my S2 my limit was 100MBs a month with o2 in the UK, no idea how I managed to just have that for two years.

I might go to ID Mobile (30GB & 4G) or Tesco for a month to see what it is like if my 1GB a month doesn't last for 15€.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I used to replace it every year or thereabouts for whatever the current flagship was (all the Notes to 4), but I am using an S6 Edge+ as my personal handset since it came out and I actually don't see any real urgency to change anymore. Phones have hit a peak just as PC hardware did years ago. Incremental but relatively minor annual updates with novelty features of varying use to try and get people to upgrade anyway.

I have an S7 edge for work and realistically it's exactly the same thing as my own just slightly smaller, and I don't like the new form factor of the S8/S8+ (had an S8 for a week and returned it) and now that it seems the Note 8 will be virtually identical to those that's put me off too.

Not really sure what I'll switch to next to be honest but for now my S6E+ still zips along and does everything I need or want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

tedpan wrote: »
    Jesus, that's nothing. I easily use 10GBs a month and I'm mainly on WiFi. Move to a meteor SIM only they have a 10GB plan with unlimited texts and 400 minutes for 20e. Much better service coverage than 48 too.

I like SIM only as you don't need to worry about topping up..

I was on standard billpay for years but moved to sim only a few years ago and it's a far better deal if you can afford to pay for the phones outright.

I was on a 3 sim only business plan that gave unlimited calls and texts, unlimited (60gb theoretical limit) data and roaming for 25 a month incl VAT, but the coverage is gone to hell since they were allowed take over O2, so now I'm on a Vodafone sim only plan with 15gb (still more than I use as I've wireless everywhere) and the same unlimited calls /texts for what will be 30 per month over the year but the coverage is much more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have current Jiayu S3 about 2 years. Might change in the new year. Only change when I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Normally change my phone every 12 months sometimes less, I'd normally sell my old phone so doesn't cost me full price. I've the S7 Edge at the mo and see no need to upgrade only helped with small incremental updates in newer phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Arbie

1998 - I collected special tokens for a newspaper offer and my parents bought it for my birthday, an Eircell readytogo flip phone, might have been Alcatel, I think it was £29!
    2000 - Nokia 3210
    2002 - Nokia 3310
    2003 - Nokia 8210
    2004 - Nokia 6310i
    2005 - Motorola SLVR L7
    2007 - Nokia e65
    2009 - iPhone 3GS
    2012 - iPhone 4
    2015 - Samsung Note 4

So, every 1-2 years for me. I can't believe I've had so many phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Depends on the performance of your phone. If it is working okay I don't see the problem in upgrading for the sake of upgrading. Risk that the phone you upgraded performs worst than the one you originally had.

Galaxy A5 2017 (latest)
    HTC desire 825 (worst phone ever)
    Oneplus one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have my Note 5 almost two years now, and the only reason I am considering changing is the battery. Functionally, it is perfect, physically, it is ideal, the only problem now is it's not so much a battery meter, more a countdown timer.

Advertisement