Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you change your phone?

Options
  • 23-06-2017 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Some folks change their car every 3 years. How often do you change your phone and why?

Should you plan to sell and upgrade every 2 years say?

Just bought the one plus 5 and noticed a lot of people seem to have had lots of different phones.

Comments

Once every two years. I would have done it more frequently a few years ago but the changes are insignificant now in my opinion. If you have a decent phone, with at least 2gb of ram and has the latest updates, then the phone is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

when it breaks beyond repair

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Used to change every 3 or 4 months but now all phones are very similar. Even the cheapo phones are rock solid, my last phone was 150 euro and has lasted 24 months. Performance was very good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭914

Normal change every 3 years. Always find after two years a phone begins to slow down and battery depletes, I can normally put with with that for a year, and then get fed up and change.

Very little major advancements in the past few years where I haven't felt the need to justify in changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Bout every 6 months which is usually when a new phone takes my fancy. However i tend to collect phones. Easily bored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Had my iPhone for the past 4 years, the battery died a week and a half ago and it now it won't turn back on. So I've been without a phone since and it's quite nice

At least once a year, sometimes twice. Works out around €300 a year to keep on the latest and greatest by selling my previous one to help fund the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Whenever I actually need to. I've had 3 phones in the last 6 years. That would be 2 if I hadn't dropped one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Usually every 12 to 18 months. I never buy flagships because I don't believe in paying crazy money for them. I would get tired of the €700 phone just as quick as the €200 one. Once it's something reliable and can be rooted/custom roms installed I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Used to change every 3 or 4 months but now all phones are very similar. Even the cheapo phones are rock solid, my last phone was 150 euro and has lasted 24 months. Performance was very good.

which phone was your last one?
    I keep mine a long as they last or when they start to slow down.2 possibly 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Used to be every 3-6 months. Loved the fun of buying and selling. These days the premium phones don't change a whole lot, so now I'm every 12-18 months and usually end up keeping the previous phone as a backup.

I'm a complete android man too. Since the Snapdragon 8 series processors came out 4 years ago with 2GB of RAM, performance has been good. Usually replacement came down to battery or a certain part being to expensive to replace. I've had the SD 800, 801, 810 & 820(I bought an LG V20, impressive phone, but my wife's S6 screen broke so it's hers now). Now I'm using a Huawei mate 8 for the past year with a 6" screen, superb 4000mah battery, Kirin 950 proc, 4GB of RAM, 64GB internal and a 128GB micro SD. Still get no lag. Can't see changing it for another 6 months at least. The mate 9 isn't enough of an improvement.

Strange, but I'm a Huawei convert after years of HTC & Samsung..

tedpan wrote: »
    Used to be every 3-6 months. Loved the fun of buying and selling. These days the premium phones don't change a whole lots, so now I'm every 12-18 months and usually end up keeping the previous phone as a backup.

I'm a complete android man too. Since the Snapdragon 8 series processors came out 4 years with 2GB of RAM, performance has been good. Usually replacement came down to battery or a certain part being to expensive to replace. I've had the SD 800, 801, 810 & 820. Now I'm using a Huawei mate 8 for the passed year with a 6" screen, superb 4000mah battery, Kirin 950, 4GB of RAM, 64GB internal and a 128GB. Still get no lag. Can't see changing it for another 6 months at least. The mate 9 isn't enough of an improvement.

Strange, but I'm a Huawei convert after years of HTC & Samsung..

801 was awesome
    810 rubbish
    820 good, but not as good as the 801 was at the time
    835 best ever

The 810 wasn't too bad, worked ok on my G Flex too apart from the heat ups lol

Yeah, happy with the 820, the 821 wasn't a significant update either.

You're right about the 835, especially with 6GB of RAM. A beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

which phone was your last one?
    I keep mine a long as they last or when they start to slow down.2 possibly 3 years.

Smart ultra 6.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Gotta laugh at people who belive Trump is the worst thing to happen to the environment, yet they change their phones every 12 months or less...
    Blissfully ignorant! !

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Gotta laugh at people who belive Trump is the worst thing to happen to the environment, yet they change their phones every 12 months or less...
    Blissfully ignorant! !

What a bizarre comment. You ok, pal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Basil3 wrote: »

Isn't it "you ok hun?" :)

Basil3 wrote:

Strange one alright, I don't think they are discarding the phones, the majority resell them on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Bought my current phone in Feb 2015, and the one before that in 1995, so about once every twenty years ... :pac:

Then again, I bought an identical one for MrsCR in 1995, which I started using when mine had been cooked on the dashboard once too often, so I suppose that makes it an average of once every ten years ... :D

Bought my current phone in Feb 2015, and the one before that in 1995, so about once every twenty years ...

Lol, what was the phone from 95.. I'd really love to know :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Every 12 months, on the Samsung S7 at the moment,

Lol, what was the phone from 95.. I'd really love to know :-D

Siemens C35.

It still works (well, the replacement one) but some of the functions went a bit wonky when I got it unlocked.

That was fun - took it around all the "unlock any phone here" shops and got only :eek: WTF is that??? looks, till I finally found the Russian guy in Moore Street. :)

Siemens C35.

It still works (well, the replacement one) but some of the functions went a bit wonky when I got it unlocked.

Loved that phone, I had a C35, M35 and an SL45. Nifty little phones that were reliable and specs ahead of their time.

Your dates are wrong though dude.

The C35 wasn't realeased worldwide until 2000 so I'm guessing if you were lucky in Ireland you got it late 2000 or 2001.

Still a great innings either way

Erik Shin wrote:
    Every 12 months, on the Samsung S7 at the moment,

When's the S8 being ordered? :D

When's the S8 being ordered? :D

Will bypass it I think ;)

Erik Shin wrote:
    Will bypass it I think

Yeah, not enough of a change. Do you have the S7 edge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, not enough of a change. Do you have the S7 edge?

No, S7 standard, it's a cracking phone and can't fault it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Strange one alright, I don't think they are discarding the phones, the majority resell them on :)
    So what happens to the last phone in the chain of the buys and sells? It goes into a landfill (hopefully the owner is responsible enough to recycle it but I doubt a lot are).

On topic, I change every few years but not because I want the latest fashion phone. It's because I want to try something different. I've gone through most Apple, Windows and Androids phones now.

• Advertisement

Loved that phone, I had a C35, M35 and an SL45. Nifty little phones that were reliable and specs ahead of their time.

Your dates are wrong though dude.

The C35 wasn't realeased worldwide until 2000 so I'm guessing if you were lucky in Ireland you got it late 2000 or 2001.

Wasn't it? I was in the UK at the time, and bought it/them when I set up my own business, which was ... oh, no, 1997. What did I have for the inbetween years, then ... ? :confused:

'95 was when my eldest son was born. Once he "came of age" - like about in his late teens - he was bowled over by the specs of this "dinosaur". Couldn't believe that it had internet as a menu option!

Advertisement