Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardboard Gangsters.

Options

Comments

No you really can ,
    Look someone posted it above ,

He also mentions in interviews how he has partaken in it before said something along the lines of if a traveller says it's not part of their culture then they are Uncle Toms, as bare-knuckle boxing is a part of their culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Don't understand what anyone has against bare knuckle boxing - wouldn't be my cup of tea as I'm adverse to getting smacked in the face, but it's used as sport or to sort out differences, and when one man says stop then it's over - hardly barbaric.

Sulky racing on motorways now that's dangerous, but bare knuckle boxing - so what

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

begbysback wrote: »
    Don't understand what anyone has against bare knuckle boxing - wouldn't be my cup of tea as I'm adverse to getting smacked in the face, but it's used as sport or to sort out differences, and when one man says stop then it's over - hardly barbaric.

Sulky racing on motorways now that's dangerous, but bare knuckle boxing - so what
    You canlt see any issues with it ?
    I think in the year 2018 I'd like to think people are well past settling disputes with a bare knuckle boxing match,
    Most of society actually speak to sort dispute's or don't become involved in disputes in the first place, Never mind it having to come any type of violence,

Sure he's a big fan of sulky racing too and has organised protests to stop it being outlawed as he seems to think that sulky racing is a suicide prevention.

Here's a comment from him about it.

"Having one of the highest suicide rates in the world, having as many outlets as possible to occupy the mind and feel catharsis is great. This is an ancient culture. More and more councils are trying to ban sulky while it has been saving Traveller mens' lives....Literally. They Irish state took almost everything from us. We won't stand by and let them take this"

Think that this has gone way off topic at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Has Brad Pitt and fight club not taught us anything lads?

Anyways I was actually put off watching this film recently because of poor reviews, can't remember where I read them, but plan to watch it now.

• Advertisement

I think in the year 2018 I'd like to think people are well past settling disputes with a bare knuckle boxing match,
    Most of society actually speak to sort dispute's or don't become involved in disputes in the first place, Never mind it having to come any type of violence,

As a combat sports fan, i have no problem with it, and think its a good way of settling disputes for those boys at least. If two people have a score to settle let them box it out and settle it in a reasonably controlled environment. They aren't exactly fighting to the death.
    As far as it being 2018, people don't exactly settle things with reasonable debates nowadays, we have childish extremist politics, fireballing social media and its rare to come across people who can actually intelligently talk out their different points of view. Its almost the worst period in history for intelligent debate if you ask me.

One other thing, bare knuckle might appear to be more barbaric then putting on gloves, but putting on gloves allows you to hit people harder with much less risk of breaking your hands. Gloves are there to protect the hands not the head and it fact makes combat sports more dangerous.

As a combat sports fan, i have no problem with it, and think its a good way of settling disputes for those boys at least. If two people have a score to settle let them box it out and settle it in a reasonably controlled environment. They aren't exactly fighting to the death.
    As far as it being 2018, people don't exactly settle things with reasonable debates nowadays, we have childish extremist politics, fireballing social media and its rare to come across people who can actually intelligently talk out their different points of view. Its almost the worst period in history for intelligent debate if you ask me.

One other thing, bare knuckle might appear to be more barbaric then putting on gloves, but putting on gloves allows you to hit people harder with much less risk of breaking your hands. Gloves are there to protect the hands not the head and it fact makes
    Your comparing bareknuckle fights over disputes to a sport you do know there a difference, I myself competed in boxing for many years as a teen, I can tell you will cut far easier by a bare knuckle than a glove.
    Anyway the major point is in todays society eve if its worst period in history for intelligent debate as you claim , Debate is till and always will be a better option than violence , 90 % of our society can see this and don't resort to any type of fighting to resolve a dispute or disagreement ,
    Some people will argue anything ,there is just no need for it in this day and age

Has Brad Pitt and fight club not taught us anything lads?

Anyways I was actually put off watching this film recently because of poor reviews, can't remember where I read them, but plan to watch it now.

One other thing, bare knuckle might appear to be more barbaric then putting on gloves, but putting on gloves allows you to hit people harder with much less risk of breaking your hands. Gloves are there to protect the hands not the head and it fact makes combat sports more dangerous.
    "think its a good way of settling disputes for those boys at least"
    I think your above statement confirms the point I was making , you yourself can see that its not suitable for the rest of society but just for " those boys"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Effects has left the building.

Totally. I was completely shown up there!

I think your above statement confirms the point I was making , you yourself can see that its not suitable for the rest of society but just for " those boys"

I'd say there are a lot worse way people brought up in that kind of community could settle their differences. Maybe thats not a PC thing to say, but as far as I can see traveller communities are steeped in crime, and there is a lot of violence.

And I agree that its much better to settle disputes with words, and compromise. But I don't see that happening anywhere these days anywhere especially in politics in various places around the world.

Sometimes a physical fight can be a way to settle differences if nothing else is working as old fashioned as that might sound.

• Advertisement

I'd say there are a lot worse way people brought up in that kind of community could settle their differences. Maybe thats not a PC thing to say, but as far as I can see traveller communities are steeped in crime, and there is a lot of violence.

Sometimes a physical fight can be a way to settle differences if nothing else is working as old fashioned as that might sound.
    Its not old fashioned thing to say its a childish thing to say and an uneducated thing to say ,
    "And I agree that its much better to settle disputes with words, and compromise. But I don't see that happening anywhere these days anywhere especially in politics in various places around the world"
    With the above statement you make it sound like you live in some kind of Mad Max utter chaos world, get back to reality people every day have dispute that end with conversation ,Id imagine over 95 % of Irish society do not end disputes in violence ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Sure he's a big fan of sulky racing too and has organised protests to stop it being outlawed as he seems to think that sulky racing is a suicide prevention.

Surely it's already outlawed with the way they do it on main roads.

With the above statement you make it sound like you live in some kind of Mad Max utter chaos world, get back to reality people every day have dispute that end with conversation ,Id imagine over 95 % of Irish society do not end disputes in violence ,

Hardly. Perhaps it is you thats out of touch? Just look at the current political situation in the various hotspots around the world. In America, the two sides can't agree on anything ever, no matter what makes sense or what does not. In the Middle East, they will not even sit at the same table as each other at the moment. In North Korea, the little diplomacy the north are showing is a result of threats of annihilation by the US and huge sanctions. Debate is simply not happening in any of the major political talking points. The most recent UK election was a tirade of verbal abuse and harassment in the media taken to new highs. Our President is going to run again for reelection which reminds me of what happened in the last "Debate" which was not a debate at all for the most prestigious office in the country.

In the world of social media, the likes of Twitter and Youtube are filled with thousands of comments of people hating on each other, abusing each other verbally, slagging each other off, and generally being nasty because they take a side and are unwilling to debate anything intelligently or something thats different to their own point of view.

In the film industry we had the leading people in the industry hanging out of Weinstein as little as a year ago, who are now leading a movement that if anybody disagrees with it publicly or questions it are hammered. There is no debate in that arena. Its one view, and one view only allowed.

In academia and universities, debate is being shutdown in all western campuses. Professors are getting fired and chased out of their jobs for suggesting an alternate opinion on social subjects that may not be in line with the views of the campus masses. Universities are supposed to the be cradle of debate, yet these fundamentals of academia are changing radically.

So its all well and good to say your above settling things physically, and everyone should be above settling things physically, but the reality is that humans are very poor at settling things with intelligent debate. Very few people are capable of this, and one only needs to turn on the TV are any medium of social media to see that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Folks, I hate to sutdown debate (:pac:) but this is a film discussion thread about the film Cardboard Gangsters, which hasn't been mentioned in quite a few posts now. There are plenty of other forums on Boards to host the spin-off discussions happening. Can we please get back on topic, please, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Was this really a box office phenomenon in Ireland like the DVD states?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s a reasonably fair claim, TBH, even with a bit of marketing hyperbole. It was a pretty big hit for an Irish film, and impressively so given its relatively modest origins. €550,000 is the number a quick google throws up. Whatever one thinks about the film, it was certainly a rather noteworthy success in the general scheme of Irish films at the box office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

....... wrote: »

He came up with the idea and wrote the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I have been thinking about this a bit more since I saw it. Initially I thought that Connors was excellent in the movie. The more I reflect on it, and see him speaking on tv, I wonder how much acting there really is. Not in the sense of being a gangster (obviously) , but in the sense of a serious, somewhat troubled person. For instance could we see him act in a comedy, or indeed even to act as the role of the reckless side kick in his own movie?

gargargar wrote: »
    I have been thinking about this a bit more since I saw it. Initially I thought that Connors was excellent in the movie. The more I reflect on it, and see him speaking on tv, I wonder how much acting there really is. Not in the sense of being a gangster (obviously) , but in the sense of a serious, somewhat troubled person. For instance could we see him act in a comedy, or indeed even to act as the role of the reckless side kick in his own movie?

I've seen him in a couple of things and he has no range, he's about as one-note an actor as you can get. He seems to imply that there is some conspiracy against him and the reason that he can't get an agent or big parts is down to prejudice but honestly it's most likely a case that because he isn't much of an actor people aren't interested. It's great that he's managed to have a career but you could never imagine him playing a romantic or comedy role.

• Advertisement

He tried to do romance, it just wasn't the least bit believable. As for him in Hollywood, well it's not something I can ever see happen. I could see him heading over to England and getting roles in films like Paul Tanter makes, low budget hooligan and crime films that seem to exist simply to fill out the bottom shelf in Dealz DVD section.

I wasn't having a go at him, just when he talks about how he's not getting roles and is stereotyped it's hard to have much sympathy for him when you consider that he has typecast himself thanks to the roles he wrote for himself.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

He did seem very miscast as the builder in the Haughey bio.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

have to say I've stayed away from this film as I just figured I'd seen it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Saw it on Netflix the other night. It was a passable enough made-for-TV movie but the ending
    where Ray goes back to "save" the mother of the kid he just shot
    was farcically stupid for a character who, up to that point, we'd been shown to be reasonably thoughful and intelligent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sleepy wrote: »
    Saw it on Netflix the other night. It was a passable enough made-for-TV movie but the ending
    where Ray goes back to "save" the mother of the kid he just shot
    was farcically stupid for a character who, up to that point, we'd been shown to be reasonably thoughful and intelligent.

I agree it completely ruined what was a decent film up until that point. It was beyond stupid

Advertisement