Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting Marriage Fraud Anonymously

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

. Do you think she may have got an 'an under the table agreement' in order to get married and get a witness on the day?.

Not saying its 100% impossible but I highly doubt it..

the 3 months notice appears to be pretty much set in stone..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JohnFan8595

....... wrote: »

Would you not consider police going into somebodies home or work place to investigate defamation of character? Things like this get spread and I don't want to the hassle of people like that accusing me of it. And as people said before, the Guards do nothing on this. Its the HSE that need to be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

knipex wrote: »
    Not saying its 100% impossible but I highly doubt it..

the 3 months notice appears to be pretty much set in stone..

So you think that if an appointed witness pops their clogs in the 3 month interval, one cannot get married? Really?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It is possible to change witnesses on the day of the wedding. It's no issue for the registrar to do it. Just takes a minute.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Were you a witness to the wedding? Did you sign as such? I wonder could you land yourself in hot water for witnessing a wedding you knew was fraudulent?

Were you a witness to the wedding? Did you sign as such? I wonder could you land yourself in hot water for witnessing a wedding you knew was fraudulent?
    no I didn't, thank god!

oH of course, the Guards are always on the case, and people always pay for their crimes, its that simple '.....'.

no I didn't, thank god!

I assume from that the wedding went ahead and she got some other witness? Correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

That is terrible! They shouldnt be allowed just pick up random witnesses! Where are you getting this information from?

What?! Why not? So if somebody has their whole wedding planned and one of the witnesses has a medical emergency or a travel issue on the day of the wedding, the whole thing should be just called off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Discussion? IMO you just making sly digs at OP. Who cares if someone committed fraud by entering into a sham marriage? The real bad person is OP for considering to report a crime, as they didn't report it quick enough for you and there intentions don't seem good to you.

What is the relevance of what happen between OP and fraudster? You are 'entitled to ask'. But you seem more concerned with OP than the crime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Discussion? IMO you just making sly digs at OP. Who cares if someone committed fraud by entering into a sham marriage? The real bad person is OP for considering to report a crime, as they didn't report it quick enough for you and there intentions don't seem good to you.

What is the relevance of what happen between OP and fraudster? You are 'entitled to ask'. But you seem more concerned with OP than the crime

The relevance is the same as an ex wife going to the guards a year after a crime and telling them about it because her husband did the dirty on her.

You think they're not going to question that? You're very naïve if you do think that.

All the evidence OP has mentioned so far is a phone call between him and the lady in question and everyone's jumping up and down about a crime.

I assume from that the wedding went ahead and she got some other witness? Correct?
    pilly wrote: »
    The relevance is the same as an ex wife going to the guards a year after a crime and telling them about it because her husband did the dirty on her.

You think they're not going to question that? You're very naïve if you do think that.

All the evidence OP has mentioned so far is a phone call between him and the lady in question and everyone's jumping up and down about a crime.

Hence my question. My impression is that it went ahead without OP's participation, but I don't know if that is true. It is up to the OP to clarify.

No thanks. I just think you are being slightly over aggressive. Nothing reportable.

It might turn out that we are all being trolled by some deluded lunatic, sure.

But that conclusion is in no way a starting point. One does not start with a conclusion and work backwards from there.

Wut? No. What the actual bleep? Where did this come out of?

• Advertisement

Ah. Context. On a forum it sometimes gets messy. It is the way of things.

To give it a texture, on most fora I frequent, sockpuppetry is an instant ban. Rightly so IMHO. Here, with barely 40 posts under my belt, to be accused of said offence was rather surprising given that I am so vehemently opposed to it.

oH of course, the Guards are always on the case, and people always pay for their crimes, its that simple '.....'.

What's thIs all about?
    For someone that wants to report a crime, I'm not sure you should be so sarcastic about the Gardai.
    In 2015, An Garda Siochana set up operation Vantage, which was a large investigation into sham marriages, which concluded with convictions and many marriages of convience identified.
    So, FYI.

bubblypop wrote: »
    What's thIs all about?
    For someone that wants to report a crime, I'm not sure you should be so sarcastic about the Gardai.
    In 2015, An Garda Siochana set up operation Vantage, which was a large investigation into sham marriages, which concluded with convictions and many marriages of convience identified.
    So, FYI.

Our proponent has not provided all of the detail, and I dont need or want names and addresses. The crime itself as described lacks details that should be obvious. For example, "Did you actually stand as a witness to the marriage?"

The answer given is no. Why was this not part of the original post? Why did it take so long to extract this answer?

It might be that somebody is struggling with a moral dilemma.

It might also be that somebody is winding us up.

There is insufficient evidence either way, and I am happy to reserve judgment. My gentle questions are simply crafted to test which might be true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Our proponent has not provided all of the detail, and I dont need or want names and addresses. The crime itself as described lacks details that should be obvious. For example, "Did you actually stand as a witness to the marriage?"

The answer given is no. Why was this not part of the original post? Why did it take so long to extract this answer?

It might be that somebody is struggling with a moral dilemma.

It might also be that somebody is winding us up.

There is insufficient evidence either way, and I am happy to reserve judgment. My gentle questions are simply crafted to test which might be true.

I asked was the OP a witness and they responded straight away with a no. I don't think any of that is necessary to the original question of, how do you report a shame marriage. It's not up to approve of whether the OP SHOULD report it.

Ok I've been late following up on this, I've been busy. Let me explain the whole situation as much I can. Im not revealing everything but I can answer some questions.

Was I a witness at the wedding? No..

Do I know she got married? Yes but I haven't got proof. Some friends of mine told me about it.

Is she still together with her husband? I know she broke it off after a few months. That said I think he married her to help her out as apposed to living happily ever after together. It doesn't make the situation any better, she still used him. From what I hear he doesn't like her anymore. Marriage should never be abused like this.

The only evidence I have is that she texted me asking to attend a wedding as a witness, and that she was vague about the marriage in the text.

Thats all the information I can give at the moment. You might think I don't have sufficient evidence but its obvious what she did.

In regards to reporting to the Guards, I don't think the guards are useless, I think they just have a lot on their plate. Im just trying to get all the information I can get before making a decision on this. I want to see if there is a better way to go about this.

Ok I've been late following up on this, I've been busy. Let me explain the whole situation as much I can. Im not revealing everything but I can answer some questions.

Was I a witness at the wedding? No..

Do I know she got married? Yes but I haven't got proof. Some friends of mine told me about it.

Is she still together with her husband? I know she broke it off after a few months. That said I think he married her to help her out as apposed to living happily ever after together. It doesn't make the situation any better, she still used him. From what I hear he doesn't like her anymore. Marriage should never be abused like this.

The only evidence I have is that she texted me asking to attend a wedding as a witness, and that she was vague about the marriage in the text.

Thats all the information I can give at the moment. You might think I don't have sufficient evidence but its obvious what she did.

In regards to reporting to the Guards, I don't think the guards are useless, I think they just have a lot on their plate. Im just trying to get all the information I can get before making a decision on this. I want to see if there is a better way to go about this.

Stuff happens. That's OK.

You neither attended nor acted as witness. You are in the clear.

Your decision now is simply whether or not to make a report. You either make a report, or you keep your mouth shut. Either way, there are no consequences for you personally. You remain anon until you get to sworn statement level.

Now, to be fair, nobody here knows the exact detail beyond what you choose to share here, so all anyone can do is best guess. So, on foot of the information to hand, I would report it.

However, doubt creeps in. You seem to be somewhat uncertain as to whether she actually went through with it. "Heard it through the grapevine" does not cut the evidential mustard.

Oh and as to giving information, you decide to provide as much as you are comfortable with. Simples.

Advertisement