Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayersXpo 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

No its not the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MickF1

Hi Sunny Dayz

No we have no association with any previous games convention, This event is owned by Irish Independent News & media Plc. Unless someone has registered you in the competition as a gift?
    If you contact customer service on website, they will be able to help you out and give you more exact details.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Know a guy that was working at this. Said it was a bit of a disaster. Speakers not showing up on time, and hardly anyone there

Some stuff cancelled tomorrow too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Know a guy that was working at this. Said it was a bit of a disaster. Speakers not showing up on time, and hardly anyone there

Is it on the same scale as previous disasters or not quite there yet? I’m glad I gave it a miss tbh

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Is it on the same scale as previous disasters or not quite there yet? I’m glad I gave it a miss tbh

I don't think it was quite that bad. But there's another day to go yet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was there for much of today, seemed to have the content, John Romero was there, but not a vast amount of punters.
    Tons of stuff there to be used, hopefully it was busier this evening and tomorrow will be busier too.

Hi
    I think your pal has given you incorrect information no speakers cancelled,
    So far getting great feedback from attendees. You missed a Brilliant concert for Zelda fans with Emer Noone Celtic Ensemble and a chance to play Doom with John Romero fantastic Cosplay with the Guild of Nerds and 501st Garrison. Plus tons of games.
    ibFoxer wrote: »

MickF1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I think your pal has given you incorrect information no speakers cancelled,
    So far getting great feedback from attendees. You missed a Brilliant concert for Zelda fans with Emer Noone Celtic Ensemble and a chance to play Doom with John Romero fantastic Cosplay with the Guild of Nerds and 501st Garrison. Plus tons of games.

Well I never said that speakers cancelled. I said that some didn't turn up on time today. Is that incorrect?

Is there anything cancelled for tomorrow?

I don’t believe anyone was late today sure maybe you should come along tomorrow and check it out to see for yourself.

John Romero will be there, we’ve a full schedule and followed by the retro games classics live tomorrow night with Emer Noone the National Symphony orchestra. Should be great fun! You should come to the show.

Hope to see you there.
    Well I never said that speakers cancelled. I said that some didn't turn up on time today. Is that incorrect?

Is there anything cancelled for tomorrow?

I'll be there in spirit, Mick

Hope it all goes well for you guys anyway. Nobody likes to see these things fail. They could be bringing interests to the country etc
    I don’t believe anyone was late today

You're creative director for the event, right?

You don't believe anyone was late? They were or they weren't like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well I never said that speakers cancelled.

You did just there, shortly beforehand.

You alleged stuff cancelled.

And MickF1 has confirmed nothing was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 buzzinb

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hi, is this expo by the same organisers as the troubled Convention earlier this year? The reason I ask is I got a text message this morn from PlayersXpo saying I had won a pair of tickets to this weekend. I don't know how PlayersXpo would have gotten my phone number as I haven't registered for or bought any tickets for this event, nor did I enter any competition for tickets. But I did register for any buy tickets for the Con earlier this year.

A few people have been saying the same thing here over the past day or so. Definitely NOT the case. No one involved in PlayersXpo was involved in Gamercon. 100% guaranteed.

To prove the point, the organisers of PlayersXpo (I'm one of them) are giving free access to disappointed Gamercon customers today. Head over to the players.ie website if you're one of those.

Did you make the decision to go... time nearly up!

I'm there all day today, so if you've any questions get in touch. Atmosphere is good lots of games to play.

The John Romero sessions have been class. He's a really cool character.

buzzinb wrote: »
    Did you make the decision to go... time nearly up!

I'm there all day today, so if you've any questions get in touch. Atmosphere is good lots of games to play.

The John Romero sessions have been class. He's a really cool character.

I meant to get my copies of Doom signed... bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PrimeVinister

I saw that Indo.ie piece. Quite decent really and very clever if they want to have one next year.

If a few hundred show up to it after feeling disappointed by Gamercon and tweet that there was 'no queues and it was good' or something... job is kinda half done for next year promo-wise.

How many people avoided it because of GC? Judging by boards.ie and Twitter, quite a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

You're creative director for the event, right?

You don't believe anyone was late? They were or they weren't like

No need to be rude man, especially as your not going

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Well done to all involved, it was very enjoyable. I found the staff very friendly and helpful.
    Also: the use of space was much improved over Gamercon. I will deffo attend this again in the future :-)

The Eimear Noone concert was a really nice addition, even better that we could enjoy it while sitting in the Minecraft section

From a kid's point of view

To the people who didn't come because of a bad experience you should definitely come next time. :) We had FUN!!!

Had a great time at the concert this evening myself, only sad I missed the Celtic Zelda one the night before.
    I really hope they run it again next year, I'll be happy to help and already have some ideas to make the retro area even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

MickF1 wrote: »
    The events are very different from each other PlayersXpo sessions are 6 hours long and you can get an all day pass in a 2 for 1 deal.

They are indeed very different from each other. GXI just has an all day pass as standard similar to Comic Con

• Advertisement

kwalsh000 wrote: »
    They are indeed very different from each other. GXI just has an all day pass as standard similar to Comic Con

Yes they are quite different and probably doesn't do either justice to compare them on one simple measure. To be 100% clear the GXI all day ticket gets you in from 10.30am till 5pm (6.5 hours) on Sunday or till 6pm (7.5 hours) on Saturday. The PlayersXpo is from 9am till 10pm (13 hours) on both days. The PlayersXpo approach is intended to give more actual game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I went along on Sunday morning with my 12yo.

It was quite empty, which was great for us, as there were no queues for anything.

We watched some annoying youtubers put on live shows first thing. Jelly, Sanna, and Slogoman I think?

The youngfella enjoyed it.

Started walking around, and there wasn't much there.

The retro area was cool, but some controllers were broken, and old school twitch gaming on modern LCD TVs is a lot harder than it should be. Would have been nice to have the retro stuff using CRTs.

He enjoyed playing on the custom Minecraft setups and playing Mario Odyssey before the controllers battery died.

Went to see a group of Irish youtubers/mixers which was good craic too, although AntiTinkerbell really did shill hard for Mixer at the start.

What I took from both of those stage shows was that I want to buy Gang Beasts.

He played Minecraft some more and we left, a little over three hours after we got there.

Staff were saying there was no time restrictions, so we could have come back later if we wanted.

Would have liked to have seen the Zelda/Retro concert, but it was on too late for us. Would have been nice to have a daytime showing too.

He enjoyed it, and it was definitely well ran overall, but I'd say they lost a fortune on it, and there wasn't enough content.

Hard time of the year to get people to part with money.

Sorry to hear about the controllers, I was setting all that stuff up and didn't realise some weren't working.
    Concerning the displays, there were 31 of them!
    I was involved in setting those up and taking them down and even with LCDs it was a bulky heavy job.
    I can only imagine what it would have been like with mostly CRTs.
    As for content, there was a lot there.
    But perhaps, next time, there might be more.
    I'll start a thread, if asked, next year and more people could be forthcoming with what they want to see.
    Maybe provision for more vendors, though there were two there only one had games for sale.
    I've a few ideas for next year too that might make things more interesting.
    I still maintain the stink from Gamercon damaged PlayersXpo, hopefully next year it'll be better attended, with some improvements on scheduling and the rest.
    I know Mick was very receptive to suggestions, so we could all make it a little better.
    Hopefully the next con in a few weeks will go well, and improve the profile of the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I still maintain the stink from Gamercon damaged PlayersXpo, hopefully next year it'll be better attended, with some improvements on scheduling and the rest.
    I think this certainly would have had an impact. I asked my son did he want to go up to Dublin for this. He said he didn't want to go, and I think it was Gamercon that put him off, we got in that time but it was overcrowded and he didn't really enjoy it. Hopefully some good publicity will improve it for PlayersXpo for next time.

Most people.who attended seem to have had a good time, though part of the atmosphere would have been the large crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

dublin comic con or PlayersXpo 2017 tthey are good conventions its location convention centre that everytime i go there for a convention i have no freewill

Advertisement