Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayersXpo 2017

Options
  • 20-06-2017 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't see anything in this forum.
    Has anyone seen anything on this?
    http://www.independent.ie/players/about-playersxpo-2017-35841785.html

Its on for 2 days on the 28th and 29th October in the Convention Centre
    Thinking about going to it as I think Michael Finucane will do a better job than the last Gaming Con in DCC but will wait to see what/who else is announced for the event

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'd be waiting anyway for more info and details. Even more so when priced at €30 for a 4-hour slot.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

From what i've read of it, Retr0 is taking part (unless there's someone robbing your name Retr0), so maybe he'll be the best to fill us in. The site has very little info... And the fact that it's not an all day event worries me slightly...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

30 quid for 4 hours is off-putting for me. Is this different to what the Dublin Comic Con crowd are running late this year or is it the same event?

From what i've read of it, Retr0 is taking part (unless there's someone robbing your name Retr0), so maybe he'll be the best to fill us in. The site has very little info... And the fact that it's not an all day event worries me slightly...

I don't think they're one and the same

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I don't think they're one and the same

Ah cool, the more the better. Will keep an eye on this.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ah cool, the more the better. Will keep an eye on this.

Not sure now if he's talking about me referencing Retr0 or what now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Been years since I saw him, but 99% certain that's not our Retr0.

Not sure now if he's talking about me referencing Retr0 or what now!

Ah lads, the heat is getting to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0 clearly had some surgery :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its on for 2 days on the 28th and 29th October in the Convention Centre
    Thinking about going to it as I think Michael Finucane will do a better job than the last Gaming Con in DCC but will wait to see what/who else is announced for the event

Well looking at that page it has an actual events company helping to organise it...so can only hope soemone in one of their meetings goes "ya know what guys....lets not sell twice as many tickets as we can accommodate!"

Biggest problem I can see is the "Creative Dir" is the guy who runs Gamestop Ireland....so can imagine half the DCC will just be transformed into one big store for the duration of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

afaik he no longer runs Gamestop, sold it but he did setup a new company called Smartspot I think
    I seem to remember they had a shop in The Square

They don't specifically state it, but from looking at the site more, it's not an all day event as there seems to be time slots. I reckon, going by what i've read, that it's just going to be a large shop with some people talking about the future of gaming, potentially some reveals but i seriously doubt that. I'm not filled with confidence for it, i'm getting a bang of money racket off it...

Yeah looks to me like they want the crowds from Gamercon but that with timeslots, they can do it while keeping queues down. There should be an option of a day ticket for 30 and 4 hour time slot for 15. If I'm traveling for a con (4 hours total for Dublin) I want to spend the day there, not be rushed around. Also they mention Youtubers. Don't think this will be aimed at me.

I see on their Facebook people are saying it's the same weekend as Gaelcon which has been going on for 20 years, some people not happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I see on their Facebook people are saying it's the same weekend as Gaelcon which has been going on for 20 years, some people not happy with it.

Probably thinking there will be a better turnout since Gaelcon attendees might drop over for one of the 4 hour slots.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm the assistant director of Gaelcon this year (which has been running for 29 years), I can safely say that there won't really be a huge amount of crossover between this thing's audience and ours as we're mostly the tabletop/cards/wargaming side of things and computer gaming doesn't really feature at all at Gaelcon.

For the same money, you get 4 days of Gaelcon and no one rushing you around :P</salesPitch>

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Been years since I saw him, but 99% certain that's not our Retr0.

It is a very different retrogamer :D

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all, got a press release about PlayersXpo 2017, which might give you some added detail about the event. They're highlighting the carefully controlled sessions, which should combat issues seen in the past (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

There will be 4,500 square metres of exhibition space, featuring "the latest in video games will be showcased from some of the most celebrated entertainment companies in the world, including Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft" and a 2,000 seat auditorium, which will play host to some international stars and homegrown talents (no names mentioned, aside from what's already known). It hopes to have something for everyone, and mentions that attendees will have a chance to challenge their favourite YouTube celebrities and get hands-on with the most anticipated releases, and that there will be great chances to play and win across the weekend.

More details will be announced throughout the summer and more info is available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Thought i would post here instead of making a new thread. So i was wondering if this event is actually worth going to? the time slots doesn't bother me as i dont usually tend to stay at a event for longer than 3 hrs anyway but is it worth the journey up there?

Thought i would post here instead of making a new thread. So i was wondering if this event is actually worth going to? the time slots doesn't bother me as i dont usually tend to stay at a event for longer than 3 hrs anyway but is it worth the journey up there?

Likely zero value for anyone not into youtubers and cosplay etc, doubt there will be anything playable thats not released already.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems like it's totally aimed at kids and youtube fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm involved with this, at least on the periphery.
    I had a meeting with the Creative Director, Mick Finucane, some months ago, as he asked me to plan and organise the Retrogaming area of the convention.
    I declined some time afterwards as such a project is not in my area of expertise and I have a day job that takes up much of my time, I'm a Clinical Nurse Manager and up to my proverbials here!
    That said, he took a good few suggestions from me, as to what I would like to see at such an event, and the Eimear Noone concert looks like it's going to be amazing, plus she's launching her Celtic LoZ CD at the event as well.
    He spoke to me about what he saw this event as being, essentially a tonic for the awful games convention, apparently they took a good look at what went wrong with that and are determined to provide a better experience for everyone this time.
    He also said that they, INM and himself, want this to become a proper expo, that is a chance for people to see and play the latest stuff, not to be simply a shop window for products already on the market.
    I am still on board as I've been asked to provide consoles for the Retro area, so if you go please don't fúck my stuff up!

According to Mick, with years of experience running Gamesworld and later Gamestop here in Ireland, they do not want this to be just about Youtubers, or about a big promo opportunity, they was sales and stalls, they want Cosplay, all the paraphernalia that goes with a modern convention.

So, I'm not a shill, this isn't my gig, I make no money from this and haven't even been offered any compensation or tickets, I'm just contributing for my love of the hobby tbh.

I can't promise that it'll be the event people want it to be but, also, I don't think there's an interest in making it as lousy as people might be assuming either.

I would say that I did post elsewhere, during the discussion stages of the event, for suggestions that I forwarded to Mick, and I can only hope that it is taken on board.
    He mentioned Boards by name and that the people who play game there are the people they want coming along.

We shall wait and see....

I might send him a link to this thread and see if he wants to respond, or I can forward your concerns and see if he has anything to contribute to the discussion, I keep you all updated.

Good stuff Cider, thanks for the update. Sounds like they are putting in good effort with it alright.

For me, it's a 5 hour drive time to/from Dublin so if I'm going up, I want to spend the day there at whatever I attend so a 4 hour ticket doesn't appeal to me and a day ticket for 75 euro is too much.

The Eimear Noone concert sounds like it will be brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Good stuff Cider, thanks for the update. Sounds like they are putting in good effort with it alright.

For me, it's a 5 hour drive time to/from Dublin so if I'm going up, I want to spend the day there at whatever I attend so a 4 hour ticket doesn't appeal to me and a day ticket for 75 euro is too much.

I contacted Mick to see if he can respond on thread, there might be some issues as it may amount to promotion and that would be prohibited for a user to do so.
    I'll update as things pop up.
    I can confirm that he is reading concerns here and taking them on board.

Got an e-mail about a 2 for 1 offer on adult and children's tickets

430476.png

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

30 quid for 4 hours is off-putting for me. Is this different to what the Dublin Comic Con crowd are running late this year or is it the same event?

Totally different, a few people have confused PlayersXpo (iNM) with Games Expo Ireland (DCC) just wanted to clear that up as the same venue and close dates to the shows confuse people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PrimeVinister

PlayersXpo takes place 28-29th October in CCD. Anyone lined up to go?
    Anyone thinking about going?
    They have some good 2 for 1 deals this week.

Personally, I am looking forward to getting annihilated by John Romero at Doom multiplayer on Saturday. What are ye lot looking forward to most?

First time I started an account and first time I made a thread.
    I read boards all the time but never really had anything to say :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MickF1

The events are very different from each other PlayersXpo sessions are 6 hours long and you can get an all day pass in a 2 for 1 deal.

kwalsh000 wrote: »
    Totally different, a few people have confused PlayersXpo (iNM) with Games Expo Ireland (DCC) just wanted to clear that up as the same venue and close dates to the shows confuse people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MickF1

The Eimear Noone concerts will be brilliant! All day tickets now available in a 2 for 1.
    Hope to see you there
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

MickF1 wrote: »
    The events are very different from each other PlayersXpo sessions are 6 hours long and you can get an all day pass in a 2 for 1 deal.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you might be the man himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi, is this expo by the same organisers as the troubled Convention earlier this year? The reason I ask is I got a text message this morn from PlayersXpo saying I had won a pair of tickets to this weekend. I don't know how PlayersXpo would have gotten my phone number as I haven't registered for or bought any tickets for this event, nor did I enter any competition for tickets. But I did register for any buy tickets for the Con earlier this year.

Advertisement