Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What I log about when I log about running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Interesting podcast here on nutrition and the female runner: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/trainingpeaks-coachcast/id1435395422?i=1000440461735

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Interesting podcast here on nutrition and the female runner: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/trainingpeaks-coachcast/id1435395422?i=1000440461735

Thanks for recommendation - will listen to on train in the morning !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks Huzzah I will have a listen to that :) glad to hear your starting to enjoy getting out again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Plan: 10k@easy Actual: 10k@7:26/km HR: 139(150)

Running has been a bit of a stressor rather than a form of stress relief for a while now, so I was delighted when the only thing I wanted to do after a stressful enough day was head out for a run. It had the desired effect and I felt all the better for it.

You have holidays soon, right - they might be coming exactly on time and take some pressure off and give you bit of perspective :)

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Thanks for recommendation - will listen to on train in the morning !!

Listened to it last night ! Really enjoyed , I sent it to all my running buddies who deemed me crazy for years talking about the effects of your cycle on performance . Also the nutrition bit was pretty cool - I had to go and buy the book !

• Advertisement

juke wrote: »
    You have holidays soon, right - they might be coming exactly on time and take some pressure off and give you bit of perspective :)

Good to have you back, J. Things should definitely calm down after hollies :)
    Listened to it last night ! Really enjoyed , I sent it to all my running buddies who deemed me crazy for years talking about the effects of your cycle on performance . Also the nutrition bit was pretty cool - I had to go and buy the book !

Let me know if it's any good. I have it on my wishlist. I agree with a lot she says but not sure how to put it into practice.

Let me know if it's any good. I have it on my wishlist. I agree with a lot she says but not sure how to put it into practice.[/quote]

Off the bat - my takeaways were , good eating quickly after a tough session to enable recovery (I recovery very slowly and sometimes struggle to eat at all for hours) and don’t run fasted!! There was a lot more in there so need to go back and listen again . I don’t drink sports drinks as a general rule - normally stick to zero but confused about the whole electrolyte thing now .

Let me know if it's any good. I have it on my wishlist. I agree with a lot she says but not sure how to put it into practice.

Off the bat - my takeaways were , good eating quickly after a tough session to enable recovery (I recovery very slowly and sometimes struggle to eat at all for hours) and don’t run fasted!! There was a lot more in there so need to go back and listen again . I don’t drink sports drinks as a general rule - normally stick to zero but confused about the whole electrolyte thing now .[/QUOTE]

Oh, I meant the book :D

I think she said electrolyte drinks are good but not to use combination options, like drinks that are both electrolyte drinks and nutrition - same as you wouldn't use a two-in-one shampoo/conditioner? The book might clarify.

Monday, 3 June
    Plan: 10k easy. Actual: 10k@7:21/km HR:139(153)
    Easy toot to Marlay. Conveniently finished at the coffee shop. Imagine that.

Tuesday, 4 June
    Plan: 6x800@PMP w/200 recovery Splits: 4:54; 5:03; 5:03; 5:00; 4:56; and 4:59 HR: 157(168)
    Enjoyed this gentle introduction to MP. Splits are a bit of a disaster but plenty of time to sort consistency out. It fairly chucked it down, too.

Wednesday, 5 June
    Plan: 10k@easy Actual: 10k@7:21min/km HR 145(164)
    No recollection.

Friday, 6 June
    Plan: 20k progression Actual: 20k@7:15min/km HR: 150(168)
    I did this by effort again - increasing HR every 5k. This is the longest I’ve ever run without taking on fuel. Got tired near the end but that’s to be expected.

Saturday, 7 June
    Plan: 10k@easy Actual: 8.5k@7:09/km HR: 141(159)
    A lovely dander around the PP before an appointment in Phibs. Way too fast but the effort was bang on.

Sunday, 2 June
    Plan: 10k@easy Actual: 8k@7:29/km HR: 143(162)
    I kept today and yesterday to 8k as I didn’t want to do a huge jump in mileage and I don’t foresee a day off before Saturday. Ran some of the Wexford marathon route and saw the winner and second placed runner at around mile 25. That is a tough marathon. The roads aren’t closed and there’s very little support. The leaders were a good few minutes apart, too, so it was essentially a time trial for them. Fair play to those who participated.

well done on the long run, mine as hard this week 12 miles I was happy once I had it done though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Finally listened to this.... very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Great week :-)

Baby75 wrote: »
    well done on the long run, mine as hard this week 12 miles I was happy once I had it done though :D

It was daunting setting off for a 2.5hour run after a day of work but it wasn't too bad in the end. We're both building our mileage nicely.

It was daunting setting off for a 2.5hour run after a day of work but it wasn't too bad in the end. We're both building our mileage nicely.

Yep this was my biggest week taper time now :D looking forward to Marathon training then :)

I also really enjoyed that podcast you shared and I could not have listened at a better time as it confirmed a few things for me. I found another one from Stacy Stims I will share it on my log.

There hasn’t been much to log lately. I was happy enough with how the six weeks of training went before I went on holiday. I knew I wouldn’t get any running in the first week away but was hopeful of getting some in the second week. The plan then was to have a couple of easy weeks of consistent running before starting a 14-week Hanson-type plan for DCM. Unfortunately, I got struck down with an illness that lasted a good three weeks, which put any thoughts of DCM out of my mind. I get flashes of disappointment but mostly don’t mind.

Wednesday, 31 July. Plan: 60 minute progression (easy to MP). Actual: 60 minute progression (easy to HMP)

Included a 15minute warm up and cooldown. Had this set up to progress in 15-minute intervals. Felt the intervals were too much of a jump for my current fitness, so I ended up ignoring my watch and running these by feel. Probably pushed the effort too much for the last progression in hindsight. I was also dosed with a head cold.

Thursday, 1 August. Plan: 45 minutes very easy. Actual: 40minutes easyish@7:37/km HR: 147(168)

Cut this down to 40 minutes when the effort was starting to spike. Can’t force fitness.

Friday, 2 August Plan: 45@very easy Actual: 45minutes@7:33min/km HR 144(160)

Saturday, 3 August. Plan: 40minutes@easy+10x100@AP per plan
    Half thought of joining D for this and doing parkrun as a tempo effort but my legs were surprisingly heavy, so common sense prevailed.

Sunday, 4 August. Plan: 90 minutes easy Actual: 90ish minutes@7:38/km

I didn’t increase the paces to easy and I was happy enough to keep it at the very easy paces during the week. Most of this was done in the rain. Didn’t bother with the HRM.

Last week was spent just getting some easy weeks under my belt and this week I started the Boards grads base building plan. I hope to follow it for the five or six weeks but not really making any plans beyond that for now. All going well, I will introduce a sixth run next week.

Very sorry to hear about the illness and DCM. It's good to see it picking up a bit for you again.

Sorry to hear you had a three week illness but good you are on the mend and back running .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hope you're on the mend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

So sorry to see this E. Hope the future brings better health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Really sorry to hear about the illness. It's been lovely to see you back running on Strava though. Base building ftw!

Thanks for the well wishes. It's not a serious illness but something that I get from time to time. Thankfully, it didn't rear its head last year!

Monday, 5 August. Plan: 45 minute very easy . Actual: 45 minutes@ 7:45 HR: 136(157)

Bank holiday Monday toot. I think I must’ve enjoyed it because I resurrected my log after. Slow enough but the HR was one of the lowest I’ve seen.

Tuesday, 6 August. Plan: 45 minutes very easy. Actual: 33minutes@7:38/km HR: 140(157)

Kind of a miserable run. I’m still not 100% and felt grim, so I abandoned ship when the torrential rain started.

Thursday, 8 August Plan: 45@v@moderate Actual: 45minutes@6:44min/km plus warmup and cool down HR 151(168)

This week was tricky and the plan was to do this on Wednesday as I’d stuff planned on Thursday evening, but I finished work late, which left me no option but to do this as a morning runmute the following day. I admire all you pre-work runners. I really had to talk myself into this. I have no idea how to pace my runs at the moment, so I’m kind of using HR as my main gauge, but I used Hanson LR pace and I think it worked well, albeit the downhill helped.

Friday, 9 August. Plan: 45 minutes very easy. Actual: 45minutes@7:43/km HR: 148(164)

It’s been nice having 45 minutes runs and being able to fit them in at lunchtime.

Sunday, 11 August. Plan: 45 minutes easy (last 5@Threshold) Actual: 40 minutes@7:31/km 5 minutes@5:50/km
    A day at the horse show on Saturday and I was blue with the cold when I got home, so I had a wee nap instead of running.I finally got this done on Sunday evening. I used the Pfitz LT% of max HR for the threshold. Humbling to see how slow the five minutes were but ho hum.

Monday, 12 August. Plan: 90 minutes easy Actual: 90 minutes@7:31/km 11.74@7:40/km HR:153(170)

Delighted with myself for pushing this out to Monday when I had to work until after 7. It was my first runmute in a long time and I have to say I didn’t enjoy it one little bit. Again, the pace is much the same as the very easy runs, but the elevation made the effort more in the easy range. It’s not a huge amount of elevation gain by any stretch but I realised how much tougher it is for me than a flatter route - just something to note for recovery days, really.

I didn’t manage to get six days of running in. I struggle with motivation when I don’t have a goal on the horizon. I doubt I’ll manage the six this week, either. Query: do followers of the Grads Plan stick rigidly to the days as set out? I ran the session on Sunday, LR on Monday and, instead of taking yesterday of per plan, I had an hour’s run last night and I think a day off might’ve been more beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I do try and stick pretty rigidly to the schedule, but I adjust where necessary, and I'm always very conscious of keeping the midweek session well clear of the weekend runs.

The one area I've been thinking about recently is the day after the long run. Previously I would have often swapped a very easy hour into that day if it suited the week, but now I'm going to try stick more rigidly to 20 mins recovery or rest.

I don't really stick to the days E. I work around what suits at home and while a lot of the time the weeks are routine i find sometimes i can have serveral weeks in a row where routine goes out the window such as school holidays or an accumulation of random extra extra-curricular activities such as sports matches etc.. But i just try to obey the rules of spreading out the tough runs over the week to keep the balance of hard/easy.

I seem to loosely follow the pattern of
    Mon Easy
    Tues Session
    Wed Rest
    Thurs Session
    Fri Easy
    Sat LR
    Sun Rest/Rec

Over the Summer i've been doing some morning running so that has given me a bit of flexibility where i've done say a long run and a session 36 hours apart. This is probably not ideal but i've kept the HR on the LR relatively low.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I do try and stick pretty rigidly to the schedule, but I adjust where necessary, and I'm always very conscious of keeping the midweek session well clear of the weekend runs.

The one area I've been thinking about recently is the day after the long run. Previously I would have often swapped a very easy hour into that day if it suited the week, but now I'm going to try stick more rigidly to 20 mins recovery or rest.
    ariana` wrote: »
    I don't really stick to the days E. I work around what suits at home and while a lot of the time the weeks are routine i find sometimes i can have serveral weeks in a row where routine goes out the window such as school holidays or an accumulation of random extra extra-curricular activities such as sports matches etc.. But i just try to obey the rules of spreading out the tough runs over the week to keep the balance of hard/easy.

I seem to loosely follow the pattern of
    Mon Easy
    Tues Session
    Wed Rest
    Thurs Session
    Fri Easy
    Sat LR
    Sun Rest/Rec

Over the Summer i've been doing some morning running so that has given me a bit of flexibility where i've done say a long run and a session 36 hours apart. This is probably not ideal but i've kept the HR on the LR relatively low.

You're almost a Hansonite with that structure, E ;)

Thanks, folks. I've never had an issue with running the day after the LR before but it's biting a bit on this plan, so I think I should try and keep the session, LR, day off structure as much as I can.

I'd tend to stick to the days more or less as set too (or at least the order/timing - I usually move the whole thing forward a day to have Sundays off. I don't normally run at all the day after the LR. What you're saying about finding that harder on this plan than others makes sense I think, since these plans have a session the day before the LR without a rest day between, so you're bound to be more fatigued after the two I'd assume?
    It was my first runmute in a long time and I have to say I didn’t enjoy it one little bit. Again, the pace is much the same as the very easy runs, but the elevation made the effort more in the easy range. It’s not a huge amount of elevation gain by any stretch but I realised how much tougher it is for me than a flatter route - just something to note for recovery days, really.
    I've noticed this lately, and particularly the first few weeks coming back to running, that any small elevation gain resulted in a significant increase in effort. I think it's one of the things where a change in fitness is most apparent! I notice it on any days when I'm more tired than usual too.

eyrie wrote: »
    I'd tend to stick to the days more or less as set too (or at least the order/timing - I usually move the whole thing forward a day to have Sundays off. I don't normally run at all the day after the LR. What you're saying about finding that harder on this plan than others makes sense I think, since these plans have a session the day before the LR without a rest day between, so you're bound to be more fatigued after the two I'd assume?

This is my thinking as well.

I've noticed this lately, and particularly the first few weeks coming back to running, that any small elevation gain resulted in a significant increase in effort. I think it's one of the things where a change in fitness is most apparent! I notice it on any days when I'm more tired than usual too.

I agree that the slightest incline is noticeable in terms of effort but I also think that even when I'm fit there might not be as much recovery benefit from the runmute as I'd previously thought.

As an aside, I have a pdf for a dynamic warmup that I'll email you now. I think you were looking for some recently?

I'm embarrassed to admit i'd forgotten this important component of the plans :( I really should actually study the plan i am supposedly following :rolleyes: Thanks for indirectly pointing it out though, mental note to switch my thurs/fri around and get back into the back to back sess/lr. The problem with which i used to find last year was that there's typically only 12 hours between these runs but i suppose i need to suck it up eh :o

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed to admit i'd forgotten this important component of the plans :( I really should actually study the plan i am supposedly following :rolleyes: Thanks for indirectly pointing it out though, mental note to switch my thurs/fri around and get back into the back to back sess/lr. The problem with which i used to find last year was that there's typically only 12 hours between these runs but i suppose i need to suck it up eh :o
    Hmm I don't know, in that case you might be better waiting the day and having 36 hours in between instead. I honestly don't know, but I wouldn't be sure that "sucking it up" is necessarily beneficial. There's an argument that being under-recovered is worse than being over recovered! But I'm no expert, someone else might have more sound advice on this front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I'd be quite rigid about sticking to the days as they appear in the plan and like A mentioned, even if some swapping around is necessary , I'd make sure there was enough breathing space between the sessions and the long run.
    The early morning runs have really been a life saver for me and I honestly don't think I'd have either the time or the motivation to do them otherwise.
    Sorry to hear you've not been unwell E, hope you make a full recovery soon!!

Tuesday, 13 August. Plan: 1 hour very easy . Actual: 1 hour@ 7:38/km

This was enough of a slog to make me question why I didn’t follow the plan more closely and have this as a rest day.

Wednesday, 14 August. Plan: 1 hour very easy. Actual: 50minutes@7:47/km HR: 147(160)

I thought this was going to be a bonus run this week, so I kept it to 50 minutes. It didn't turn out that way.

Thursday, 15 August Plan: 60 minute progression Actual: 15minutes@7:29/km; 15minutes@7:00/km; 15 minutes@6:38/km and 15minutes@6:06/km plus warmup and cool down HR 159(182)

I always try to talk myself out of the last 15-minute rep on these and tell myself that I can count the warmup as rep one. Yep, I’m a lazy daisy.

Saturday, 17 August. Plan: 1:45 easy Actual: 1:45@7:34/km HR: 152(171)

Trying to get my sessions back on schedule and pull everything back a day. I did an out-and-back route for this and I was fairly despairing at the woeful level of my fitness on the way out: my HR was so high for the pace. I knew the wind was having an impact but I didn’t realise quite how much until I turned around.

I’m happy enough with that week. I've been put on supplements for low iron, so I'm going to have to be super patient in expecting progress on the fitness front, which is grand. I've no master plan once I've finished the base plan, so there's no pressure. The fitness will come back.

I’ve an entry for the FD10 and I’m in two minds about whether to do it at all as I’ve plans later that day. If I do, it will be as an LSR, maybe incorporating the 55minutes steady that is planned for tomorrow, so I’ll have to make a decision sharpish.

• Advertisement

once that iron supplement kicks in you will feel much better Huzzah

I am heading to the FD10 mile on saturday as well I might see you there if you still decide to come along

Advertisement