Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Chemistry 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

Did I have to hand in the experiment write up copy? I was going to hand it up to my teacher but forgot ( I have it done). No one in my class wrote up experiments, only me. My teacher said that my result may be cancelled if I didn't in the copy. Is that just a way for her to try to get us to write up experiments? Is there actually such a requirement? Should I go up to my school and leave my copy at the staff room ? Or at this point that I haven't heard about an "inspection" its ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

dorado99 wrote: »
    Did I have to hand in the experiment write up copy? I was going to hand it up to my teacher but forgot ( I have it done). No one in my class wrote up experiments, only me. My teacher said that my result may be cancelled if I didn't in the copy. Is that just a way for her to try to get us to write up experiments? Is there actually such a requirement? Should I go up to my school and leave my copy at the staff room ? Or at this point that I haven't heard about an "inspection" its ok?
    an inspector goes around random schools checking samples so if he didn't get to your school back in April I'm sure you're fine.
    Noone went to ours either

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I'd say my chemistry teacher is going to go off the head when he sees the state of the results from my class in September. There's 9 in my chemistry class, no joke 2 lads decided not to turn up because they thought they'd fail it and didn't want it on their results sheet. Of the 7 that were left, 4 decided to drop to pass just today.

I wouldn't mind but our poor teacher went out of his way for the last year giving those 2 lads one-to-one help with chemistry, when he finds out they didn't even sit the exam he'll go off the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

dorado99 wrote: »

Nothing like this happens at Leaving Cert level.
    The 3 hour exam is worth 100% of the grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Was it just me or did anyone else find the paper very "wordy", like for Question 3 there was nearly a paragraph at the start but I don't feel like it helped me to answer the questions that followed.... maybe that's just me though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Nothing like this happens at Leaving Cert level.
    The 3 hour exam is worth 100% of the grade.

A very small number of schools are inspected each year in the sciences to ensure that standards are being kept and that the lab work is actually being done. Writing up your experiments is something that every LC student is supposed to do, and your grade can be withheld if they're not done. Admittedly that is pretty unlikely since not many schools are checked. As you said, the exam is worth 100% of the grade, but only under the condition that the lab work is done.

Apparently my school was checked a couple of years back. The inspectors are usually pretty happy as long as the work is done.

I wouldn't be too concerned if you heard nothing about it from your school dorado. But your school really should encourage write-ups since they help you to learn and it covers them in the unlikely event that they are inspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Just curious about the marking of calculations. I honestly made a balls of most of my calculations, but just wondering if Chemistry is similar to maths in the sense were you get attempt marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

hasdanta wrote: »
    Just curious about the marking of calculations. I honestly made a balls of most of my calculations, but just wondering if Chemistry is similar to maths in the sense were you get attempt marks?

It depends, where did you make mistakes in calculation? If it's hess law and you used the short method and made a mistake youll get 0, if you used the long method youll get attempt marks. Anything else as far as I'm aware, if you've made correct attempts then youll score the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

A bit curious if anyone actually got all of the mandatory experiments done, my teacher only made us do around half of them since we just didn't have time
    So a friend was arguing that he hadn't fulfilled his job and if an inspector came to check our experiment hardbacks we wouldn't get in trouble since we hadn't done the experiments.

Is there any official concensus on what would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Our teacher got everything done bar the steam distillation one. We did leave out the options and electrochemistry entirely though, which was probably a good move in some ways, considering how little they actually appear on the paper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement