Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Chemistry 2017

Options
  • 15-06-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here do chemistry? Do you know is this experiment still on the course? I can't find it in the book. It's 2007 Q2. A sample of ethanoic acid (CH3COOH) was prepared by the oxidation of ethanol using the apparatus shown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

daraghwal wrote: »
    Does anyone here do chemistry? Do you know is this experiment still on the course? I can't find it in the book. It's 2007 Q2. A sample of ethanoic acid (CH3COOH) was prepared by the oxidation of ethanol using the apparatus shown.

Latest changes to LC Chem in here, http://www.gillmacmillan.ie/AcuCustom/Sitename/DAM/060/LSMS_Chemistry_Changes_to_the_Experimental_Work.pdf
    Hoping for Iron/Bleach, Soap/Eugenol, Volatile Liquid on experiments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

It's not on the course anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

As far as I know anything involving chromates and dichromates was taken off the course. We don't have to know the preparation of ethanoic acid but we do have to know it's properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skodaa

I was pretty good at Chemistry during 5th year mainly because of the teacher but that teacher took a teaching job in Dubai for 6th year and the replacement hasn't be great so I really fell off, does anyone have good topics to look over for the exam? please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭i am awsome

Atomic Theory & Organic make up half (or even more) of the exam, focus on those. Q1 - study the experiments, pretty much guaranteed 50marks Q2 - study organic experiments, also guaranteed 50 marks. Q4 - short Q's, know your definitions (eg: Le Chatelier's Principal, v. frequent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Q5 is always atomic theory, Q6 is always fuels and heats of reactions mixed with a bit of organic. You're almost guaranteed a bit on water and then the reaction schemes almost always come up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skodaa

does anyone have the DEB chemistry pre marking schemes? or answers mostly correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Skodaa wrote: »
    does anyone have the DEB chemistry pre marking schemes? or answers mostly correct?

Not sure whether mine is DEB or Examcraft, it has volatile liquids and iron tablets I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

ethbr2mech1.GIF
    ethhclmech.GIF
    Does anyone know if diagrams like these are suitable for the mechanism of ionic addition, I'm fairly certain it will come up tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

seems alright, make sure to have explanations and a heading for each.

Anyone revising for any specific exp? I don't actually know a lot of them (poor teacher) and was hoping to focus on a few.
    So far I've done the iron tablet, clove oil, ethene and ehtyne, the bleach one, volatile liquid, oh and water hardness.

Any other biggies people imagine?

• Advertisement

thetalker wrote: »
    seems alright, make sure to have explanations and a heading for each.

Anyone revising for any specific exp? I don't actually know a lot of them (poor teacher) and was hoping to focus on a few.
    So far I've done the iron tablet, clove oil, ethene and ehtyne, the bleach one, volatile liquid, oh and water hardness.

Any other biggies people imagine?

Soap?

Looks like the iron tablet and ethene/ethyne came up so that was grand.
    What did people get for the Kc value and that question on the acids. Wasn't too sure on those.

Looks like the iron tablet and ethene/ethyne came up so that was grand.
    What did people get for the Kc value and that question on the acids. Wasn't too sure on those.

Think I got around 0.732 mol/l of product in reaction vessel for the Kc one!

Same! But a friend pointed out you have 2 moles on the right so maybe you had to multiply that by two?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

Did anyone else use the factor formula, then discarded negative value and use the positive value?

No I think that's accounted for when you use the equilibrium constant formula as the [No2] or whatever was squared, I hope

dorado99 wrote: »
    Did anyone else use the factor formula, then discarded negative value and use the positive value?

Yeah I used the -b

i got x/20 for product which was squared to get x^2/400 then 1-x for thereactant. So put that into kc you have a variable ^2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Ponguin wrote: »
    Yeah I used the -b

Yeah so did I

I got this? Is that not right?

• Advertisement

i got x/20 for product which was squared to get x^2/400 then 1-x for thereactant. So put that into kc you have a variable ^2

Why x/20?

I got this? Is that not right?

0.1 is what you put in, at equilibrium it will be 0.1-x as in whatever it loses and turns into the product

My formula was X^2 +2X -2 =0 so whatever the positive root is of that I got

Why x/20?

the Ec value was X/2 /10 . Since there is a 2 in front of the product , the change in equilibrium and in turn at equilibrium the value is x/2 . Then divide it by the number of litres which is 10. So 0.5x/10 is x/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

thetalker wrote:
    0.1 is what you put in, at equilibrium it will be 0.1-x as in whatever it loses and turns into the product

Was it not be 1 - x at equilibrium and then divided by 10 to get 0.1 - 0.1x

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Anybody get 32 for the relative molecular mass of the volatile liquid in question 10?

Not a bad paper, thought Q4 was fierce tricky compared to how straightforward it normally is.

Did you guys get a positive number in hundreds (+100s) for Hess' calculation?

Anybody get 32 for the relative molecular mass of the volatile liquid in question 10?

Not a bad paper, thought Q4 was fierce tricky compared to how straightforward it normally is.
    I got something around that yeah

First 6 questions were nice, the other two Q9 and Q10 for me, were a bit trickier.

Yeah usually I do all the short questions with hardly any bother but today only did 9 I think, some of them like the eugenol one looked fairly tricky at first glance but turned out to be okay in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Did you guys get a positive number in hundreds (+100s) for Hess' calculation?

Yes around 180 rings a bell

Advertisement