Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I'd cast doubt on that bargain. Seems reely expensive and might catch someone out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Zombienosh wrote: »

Seems to be some stupid price on mobile site- but java version is 24.99
    It looks sort of cute- but even at the 24.99- its not exactly a compelling purchase- read the reviews from previous purchasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Sony KDL49WE663BU 49 Inch Smart Full HD TV with HDR €599.99 Cheapest price around.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6873956.htm

On lookout for new tv. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Orobhsa wrote: »
    Sony KDL49WE663BU 49 Inch Smart Full HD TV with HDR €599.99 Cheapest price around.

Use the code TV10 at the till for another 10% off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Does anyone know how long the TV10 promotion lasts for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the TV10 promotion lasts for?

Seems to be running years at this stage!

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Anyone who missed these they are available in Aldi from Thursday October 5th for €11.99
    https://www.aldi.ie/lifesaver-carbon-monoxide-alarm/p/077064148134100

Guys- anyone who is buying these- they are not compliant with HAP housing rules, nor are they acceptable under house insurance, as an alarm. These are for peace of mind- but they are not a replacement for a formal alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Kuva wrote: »
    Seems to be running years at this stage!

I saw something about it from years ago when I googled it, but I wasn't aware it's been a continuous offer. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

While the code is one that has been used over the course of many years, it's not always valid. It's just used during certain promo cycles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Guys- anyone who is buying these- they are not compliant with HAP housing rules, nor are they acceptable under house insurance, as an alarm. These are for peace of mind- but they are not a replacement for a formal alarm system.
    I didn’t know that...what’s the reason they are non complaint..I have a couple in my own house any reason in particular or are theay just **** quality ?
    Would you recommend a better one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

but they are not a replacement for a formal alarm system.

What is classed as a formal alarm system? I doubt it's a fire alarm panel along the lines of gent etc. and the only difference between these and the standard these days would be mains connection wit battery back up as opposed to battery being the primary source of power.

Acceptable under house insurance? Is it a requirement of house insurance that carbon monoxide alarms are present. I don't ever recall reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

Many systems people have in their homes are not compliant. It's always best when it comes to insurace to say you don't have anything. Eg Alarm, smoke, CO etc. The savings to be had are miniscule compared to the hassle if God forbid anything were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

^A MOD kicks off the chat in a "No Chat" thread...:rolleyes:
    harr wrote: »
    I didn’t know that...what’s the reason they are non complaint..I have a couple in my own house any reason in particular or are theay just **** quality ?
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What is classed as a formal alarm system? I doubt it's a fire alarm panel along the lines of gent etc. and the only difference between these and the standard these days would be mains connection wit battery back up as opposed to battery being the primary source of power.

Acceptable under house insurance? Is it a requirement of house insurance that carbon monoxide alarms are present. I don't ever recall reading that.
    bromley52 wrote: »
    Many systems people have in their homes are not compliant. It's always best when it comes to insurace to say you don't have anything. Eg Alarm, smoke, CO etc. The savings to be had are miniscule compared to the hassle if God forbid anything were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

This is a chat thread.

harr wrote: »

To be compliant they have to have the 10 year battery (for smoke alarms) and be wired into a central system (for a CO detector).

As per the above poster- the course of least resistance- is to simply say you don't have a detector, when answering the question about detectors on your home insurance check list.

:P

To be compliant they have to have the 10 year battery (for smoke alarms) and be wired into a central system (for a CO

I'd call bull **** on that one maybe the written word but a battery with a 10 year life span I can't see it.

Also what is this centralised system you refer to? Any link to this requirement?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd call bull **** on that one maybe the written word but a battery with a 10 year life span I can't see it.

Also what is this centralised system you refer to? Any link to this requirement?

Its in the HAP checklist- we have several discussions on it over in the Accommodation and Property forum. Its perfectly safe and legal to rent a house to a normal tenant- with a regular fire or CO detector- but not a HAP tenant- who is entitled to have specs which meet current building regs (regardless of when the building was constructed).

Its in the HAP checklist- we have several discussions on it over in the Accommodation and Property forum. Its perfectly safe and legal to rent a house to a normal tenant- with a regular fire or CO detector- but not a HAP tenant- who is entitled to have specs which meet current building regs (regardless of when the building was constructed).

I wouldn't be taking the HAP check list as gospel I'd like to see a link to the tech spec or legal requirement as it sounds like a made up requirement tbh. I can't see someone retro fitting main powered alarms to a house willingly it's a messy job. Current building regs aren't applied retrospectively afaik. Anyway I digress the alarms linked are sound and fit for purpose imo but yes there are better systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Invincible

Orobhsa wrote: »

It wasn't long until they increased the price by 100!
    If you're on the lookout for a TV, richersounds.com are hard to beat with the assurance of their 6 year warranty on screens!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lenovo 10” tan that was posted in the Argos bargains thread - anyone any experience of this? Tried to find reviews online but no go, anyone know where to see reviews and full spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭wally79

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lenovo 10” tan that was posted in the Argos bargains thread - anyone any experience of this? Tried to find reviews online but no go, anyone know where to see reviews and full spec?

GSMarena.com is usually good for spec

Think the Argos one is 16gb version of below

https://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab3_10-7953.php

Here’s a review
    http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/android-tablets/lenovo-tab3-android-tablet-hands-on-review-3635416/

google “lenovo tab 3 10.1 16gb review” for reviews. A few out there

It's decent enough. Main weakness would be screen resolution (it's not Full HD) and onboard storage of 16GB. Even if you use an external SD for media, you won't be able to move a lot of apps from internal storage, and it can easily be filled up. I know this is the case with one of my kids who is constantly downloading games.

Finding exact specs on these tablets can be a nightmare, even when you click on this tablet on the Lenovo site, it takes you to the Yogo Tab 3 specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I haven't any major complaints about it. Screen and sound seem ok for price. Have a cheap Kindle fire 7" with poor viewing angle, this would be much better than that

Argos UK site has user reviews
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6779469

Id be using it for watching movies off an SD card only, ok for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Just wondering does anyone have inkling if the argos vouchers are due back at some stage in the near future? (I.e Free €10 voucher when you spend €100 or more; Free €5 voucher when you spend €50 or more)

I vaguely remember the promotion running October last year....but not sure if there is a pattern with respect to how frequently the offer appears.....or indeed if it's scheduled

wally79 wrote: »
    GSMarena.com is usually good for spec

Think the Argos one is 16gb version of below

https://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab3_10-7953.php

Here’s a review
    http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/android-tablets/lenovo-tab3-android-tablet-hands-on-review-3635416/

google “lenovo tab 3 10.1 16gb review” for reviews. A few out there

This gone back to €139.99 when I went to collect it yesterday but as I has a reservation at 109.99 they honoured it, I like Argos for doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

This gone back to €139.99 when I went to collect it yesterday but as I has a reservation at 109.99 they honoured it, I like Argos for doing that.

How's this looking for you so far
    Good buy ?

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote: »
    How's this looking for you so far
    Good buy ?

Haven’t had time to get into it. Will let ya know

Advertisement