Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I wonder will they unsticky the bargains thread and just let it sink into boards oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Staff in the Ilac branch were great to me sadly didn't manage to get in to say goodbye.

Thanks for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

Argos will be sadly missed, bought a good bit there over the years and was always great to be able to compare another price and know if they had stock in local store or if had to go slightly further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

One staff member told me it was nothing to do with sales or foot fall to stores. Just Sainsburys bought Argos and had no interest in the Irish market.

Doubt we'll see the likes of it again. It really was like Instore Amazon shop before the Internet got big.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

correct i was told the same by a manager of a different shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah I know posters have been saying the writing was on the wall for years , due to website not being upgraded etc.

When I worked there, the store I worked in was the best performing store per SQ foot out of all uk and Ireland. If it was a case of underperforming stores they could have closed a few select stores , especially ones in city centre with high rents.

I do think the business model is still viable. I honestly didn't find the website that awful either.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Farewell Argos and thanks for all the memories and good times.

I fondly remember their expansion in Ireland in the early 2000s and my local store opening in a new retail park nearby. Living in a small regional town it really felt like we had hit the big time having this amazing range of goods nearby!

So many memories from childhood walkmans and toys (UK stores) to MP3 players, satnavs and smart phones when they arrived, on to kitting out my first home in the post-Christmas sales with appliances, and most recently, equipment and toys for my own kids. I am sorry their generation won't have the fun of browsing through the catalogue.

As somebody said above, Argos always had a homely feel, not that of a faceless multinational warehouse which is increasingly what we are left with in the Irish retail market.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

While I'll definitely miss Argos I've used it alot less over the years. It was always fantastic for a decent priced toaster,kettle etc in a time of need. Used to love looking through the catalogue for gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Will miss Argos and feel sorry for the staff. Some of the best bargains down through the years. For example the Lenovo Miix 510 laptop, the Nexus 9 tablets, the furniture stackable discounts and more recently picked up an Acer laptop just before the announcement they were closing. They were a great option for the One4all voucher also.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Bought both hornby trainsets Caledonian belle and Cornish carrier off them.

Also my thrust master hotas 4 joystick & throttle combo.

Also a Star Wars Imperial Forces Jet Biker on the Planet Of Endor. by Disney / Hasbro - I gave this away though to a neighbour for her kids because Disney / Starwars / LucasFilm don't give a $hit about the Canon any more.

Post edited by z80CPU on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Way back when flatsreens were becoming affordable I was thinking of getting a 46" Sony. The going price was around €2500 and Argos had it in their catalogue at €2599. A couple of pages further on they had the same TV listed again at €1599. I thought they might spot the mistake but no, I got my TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

All the love for Argos here... It's been absolutely rubbish for the last 5 or more years. Nothing is EVER EVER in stock and their website was a travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes, but at least most people in this thread don’t come across as a miserable d*ck on the demise of a store and people losing their jobs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Remember the guy on boards who got a macbook air or / pro for something silly like 150 euro or maybe it was 300/400 or something like that. He even posted the receipt on here to prove that he got it as other people who reserved one were denied when they staff saw the misprice.

It was the bargain of the century!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057116666/argos-chat-thread-1/p67#

€110 but link to picture of receipt has expired long ago.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Those were the days man! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

This, obviously, isn't a Bargain Alert, with Argos closed, but we've had the first casualty of it closing here. Bought a new BBQ in the few days before it closed and when we went to unpack it on Sunday some of the pieces are missing.

Where do I even start trying to figure out how to get the missing pieces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

argos.ie redirects here: - https://www.argos.co.uk/features/republic-of-ireland

Maybe a starting place to go to? @deiseindublin

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Go to newry with it or any store in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Ring/email customer service and they will post the missing parts out to you.

That's what they did when I was missing a couple of screws some years ago and they were very quick to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Always remember as a kid being on holiday in UK and loving Argos, spent hours reading through their catalogue. Then my kids loved the catalogue at Christmas when they were younger. Shame to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The UK had Argos AND Index in the 90s when I lived there. Two mega catalogue stores

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah yes, I remember Index!

Owned by Littlewoods, who changed to the Very brand more recently.

Argos was always handy for various random things, though admittedly, I've shopped much less there in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Don't get the "has been bought by Sainsbury's" excuse. Argos has been part of Home Retail Group (Sainsbury's) for a very very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Seven years is not a long time.

Sainsbury's bought Argos and Habitat from HRG in 2016. Sainsbury's never owned or had shares in Home Retail Group

Sainsbury's have been closing Argos standalone stores ever since they bought them and bringing stores into Sainsbury's.

Irish operation was put on the long finger but was always likely to be surplus to requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Tallaght...

Advertisement