Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

So long Argos. Thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Is the other thread going back in time as a protest / act of denial?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

Mods close thread,lock it upppppppppppp

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Goodbye Argos, thanks for the €12.49 DJI Osmo Pocket, the best bargain of my life!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

Thanks for the memories Argos, for the duvet and everything else I needed when I first moved out of home. To the couch I purchased on hire purchase the night they changed credit underwriters and they never took a single payment.

Tried writing to them but they couldn't find me in the system so never paid for it bar the small deposit.

That was over 15 years ago now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Argos and Gamestop in the same day. We are worse off for it. They'll both be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

was in the Square Tallaght, very quite got 2 32GB memoory sticks for €14.50. Their instore stock checkers aren't working so ask at counter... best of luck to the staff.

• Advertisement

Read in the paper today that staff got 4 weeks in additional to statutory redundancy so 6 weeks per year.

Those who were not entitled to it got a special payment so seems they were looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I worked in Argos many moons ago and a few other retail stores. Argos were by far the best to work for. A higher rate of pay and if a customer started on staff, managers were straight over and if it was policy not to do something, no matter how loud a customer shouted the answer remained no.

So I'm not surprised staff were looked after well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If they had a big fire sale in the final days, the staff would be under huge pressure.

With this method they’ll have an easy and orderly wind down.

No doubt some of them will remain employed for coming weeks to clear out the stores.

Fair play to Argos. Sad it didn’t work out, but thankfully staff are being treated fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was chatting to the manager in my local store recently. They'll be employed for a few more weeks to clear out stock and empty the stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Sigh, the memories, of being ordered by my mum to run over for the new catalogue for her and my nan and the excitement of looking through it as all the cool stuff.

But memories aside, Argos was so useful over the years. I cant count the nuimber of times, I needed something random that was not easily obtainable in any other B&M shop. Argos saved the day a number of times for Christmas, getting last-minute gifts. And there were some great bargains, certainly in Lego. I remember getting a large Star Wars star destroyer on a misprice for about 40 euro or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A sad day for a lot of people. Argos pulled me out of many a hole over the years. Thanks for all the bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭p225886

It was 34 instead of 134 I remember finding and posting it. Best Christmas ever for my kid.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

No wonder why left Ireland. This thread caused such a loss with all the misprices!

On a more serious note, they'll be missed. I used them regularly but then Amazon took over and started getting better prices from them. I still used Argos every now and again.

I'd say up until about 2 years ago I would've gotten 3-4 things from them a week and now, it was maybe 1 every 2-3 months.

My local store was Liffey valley and the staff were always very pleasant. There was a bald gentleman who worked there that weirdly I was always happy to see when I went in. (whether I spoke to him or not). They were a big company yet the local store always felt local, and not corporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

They certainly were a cover all, whether an appliance or toy or gift or furniture or household basic you could always rely on Argos. Usually priced ok too, no other B&M shop carries as wide a range. Tesco Extra is probably the closest now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I need a new printer and my go to for something like this would have always been argos until now. Have to go to curry's or somewhere, and it isn't as good.

Shame to see them leave, I'm happy to see people say that the staff are being well looked after...

• Advertisement

Best of luck Argos. Had some great bargains during your heyday. The fun of picking up the catalogue at Christmas. The novelty of not having to look around a shop to see if they have what I want (especially in pre-Amazon days).

Gamestop on the other hand.....I didn't bother with them a lot but when I did I found it poorly run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, I remember that person from Liffey Valley store. He was also on some RTE documentary about people trying to get their first home a few years back. Mentioned it to him once and he said he was happy to be recognised!

Well run store. Never had any an issue over my many years of buying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I have you to thank? I owe you a pint lol. I have star destroyer sitting on top of a display case upstairs, still the single biggest Lego set I ever bought and its waiting for my son to get old enough to play with (the girls didnt care for the spaceships).

I remember the only way I could get it was to be delivered, it was quite the ordeal. I accidentally had it sent to my old job that had since moved to a new location but luckily I was able to to get it sorted out. And when it arrived the box was open and so was one of the bags....but I built it and incredibly not a single piece was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Another fan, great for last minute presents and easy to get items in a hurry (when in stock).

For anybody finding unused Argos gift vouchers (there will someone out there!), taken from the updated Argos.ie website.

Argos Gift Cards

I have unused Argos gift vouchers; how can I use them / exchange them?

You can contact us by email at order.enquiries@argos.ie or call us on 1800 535 091 and we will be happy to help you.

Fair dues to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

Curry's were handy when Declan was working for them.

They're just another faceless entity since he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Got a few decent deals over the years. Less and less recently, but still... R.I.P. Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Argos.ie now redirects to a help page on the UK website:

https://www.argos.co.uk/features/republic-of-ireland

Farewell Argos, you were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

Lego Ninjago

Discount Casio watch

Quest headset that couldn't be found anywhere else.

Great bargains

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I remember getting the bus over to Tallaght to pick up my first ever mini-disc player!

Had "Rhythm of the Saints" by Paul Simon on loan for the journey back.

The quality blew my mind.

Plenty of other bits bought for my first house too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WengerOutIn

Thanks Argos. Saved me a lot of hassle down through the years at Christmas and other odds and ends.

Advertisement