Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Have an Argos giftcard and I'm looking for a new laptop, budget is about 600-700 and will primarily be used for some Office, browsing, media and Football Manager. Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Have an Argos giftcard and I'm looking for a new laptop, budget is about 600-700 and will primarily be used for some Office, browsing, media and Football Manager. Any suggestions?

How about this one?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6555755.htm

Its got a 256Gb SSD- so it'll be fast at booting and loading programmes, the processor is an i3- which is pretty basic- but you don't really need major horsepower- and it has 8Gb of RAM- which is standard fare for Windows 10.

Its not going to set the world on fire- but its a reasonable laptop- with an SSD which will speed it up nicely.

Alternatively- with a slightly better processor, but still with the SSD etc:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6729897.htm

In this day and age- I'd argue that an SSD is far more value in a new laptop- than a massive hard-drive, and 256Gb is large enough for most users?

Yeah think my days of needing a TB hard-drive are dead with everything on the cloud

2nd laptop seems to be out of stock everywhere in Dublin, would it be likely to come back at that price?

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    2nd laptop seems to be out of stock everywhere in Dublin, would it be likely to come back at that price?

I suspect they may be clearing it.
    There are a few examples in stock- 1 each in Sligo, Monaghan, Dundalk and a few other places- if you're willing to take a roadtrip?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately won't have time the next few evenings and I'm away after that. Will have to revisit things in a couple of weeks, thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

if anyone knows who looks after pricescanner.ie , the argos and boots pages are stuck...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

whats the general argos return policy? i bought a vacuum there but after using it once i've come to the conclusion its crap. Can i get my money back even though its used?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Scruff wrote: »
    whats the general argos return policy? i bought a vacuum there but after using it once i've come to the conclusion its crap. Can i get my money back even though its used?

Unless its broken they don't have to swap or refund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fixxxer wrote: »
    Unless its broken they don't have to swap or refund it.

Not sure what you mean there, they do not legally have to swap or replace, but this is not what he was asking. In my experience and from reading numerous threads I would think it is very likely they would refund him, or at least let him change to another model. Only reason I buy anything in argos is due to their returns policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

rubadub wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean there, they do not legally have to swap or replace, but this is not what he was asking. In my experience and from reading numerous threads I would think it is very likely they would refund him, or at least let him change to another model. Only reason I buy anything in argos is due to their returns policy.

I mean that if it works, has been taken out of the packaging and used, they are under no obligation to take it back. They may decide to for customer good will but they don't have to. It's down to the discretion of the store personnel. We're agreeing but you're being positive and I'm being negative :)

rubadub wrote: »

Why?
    Since Sainsburys bought Argos they've done a crack-down on discretionary returns- as they had the highest rate in the industry.
    I would imagine it is extremely unlikely- as there is nothing wrong with the hoover, that they would refund or replace it.

The OP- has taken it out of its packaging- used it, and decided they don't like it. Why would they replace it?
    If it hadn't been opened- at least it would be saleable if it were returned- that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fair enough, but the question was
    whats the general argos return policy?

Not any sort of obligations or legalities.

From the evidience I have seen the general policy is to take it back, I am surprised to hear what they take back. It seems there are far less things on the "no return policy" list these days.

Since Sainsburys bought Argos they've done a crack-down on discretionary returns- as they had the highest rate in the industry.
    Right, that is news to me so. Will have to check it out, as it really is the only reason I would go there.
    The OP- has taken it out of its packaging- used it, and decided they don't like it. Why would they replace it?.
    The reason why is not really relevant, he just wanted to know what the policy is, if I owned a shop I would certainly not accept lots of the stuff I have heard them take back. Seems it may have changed. I would have guessed they would replace it, and the reason they were so accomodating before I would guess is to attract return customers (like myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,807 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its all in black and white blue here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

If it's broken they have to take it back.

So to me it looks like there is something wrong with it. The power in the motor is very low and won't suck anything. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

bromley52 wrote: »

So to me it looks like there is something wrong with it. The power in the motor is very low and won't suck anything. ;)

Just replace the fuse in the plug with a blown one and tell him it keeps tripping your fuse board and the motor sounds like it's under pressure.
    If they try to plug it in and test it (which they won't) it won't work and you'll get a refund.
    Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

I used that very excuse to send my wife back to my father in law. He offered me a replacement!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Sorry, let me define what i mean by crap: It does not function adequately as what i would expect of a vacuum cleaner. The suction is so strong that the utterly crap 2-in-1 head on it gets stuck on all form of floor in my house: wood, tile and carpet even with the adjuster nose on the handle fully open. There is a real risk that this will scratch floors and damage carpet. I had a hard time wrestling with it but it defeated my better half who gave up half way through the kithchen.
    So i guess it should be classed as defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Sorry, let me define what i mean by crap: It does not function adequately as what i would expect of a vacuum cleaner. The suction is so strong that the utterly crap 2-in-1 head on it gets stuck on all form of floor in my house: wood, tile and carpet even with the adjuster nose on the handle fully open. There is a real risk that this will scratch floors and damage carpet. I had a hard time wrestling with it but it defeated my better half who gave up half way through the kithchen.

What's the make and model sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

First time I've heard someone say that a vacuum is s crap because its so strong it would damage carpet lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

isn't there a little sliding cover on all hoover handles that slides open lessening suction?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Karcher K2 Home Pressure Washer - 1400W €99 and a few in stock around the country.
    I am in need of a new power washer, and this seems reasonable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 indeq

Berberis wrote: »
    Karcher K2 Home Pressure Washer - 1400W €99 and a few in stock around the country.

They're throwaway crap....saying that they're all the same so buy it.

Don't leave out in the cold or you won't even get the measly couple of years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

indeq wrote: »
    They're throwaway crap....saying that they're all the same so buy it.

Don't leave out in the cold or you won't even get the measly couple of years out of it.

Thanks for that, I'll bear that in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

Berberis wrote: »

I have one about 5 years now and still going strong. Just make sure that water is drained out of it during the winter by leaving it run for a few seconds with no supply attached. If you don't any water in it will freeze, expand etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 indeq

I have one about 5 years now and still going strong. Just make sure that water is drained out of it during the winter by leaving it run for a few seconds with no supply attached. If you don't any water in it will freeze, expand etc.

You don't use it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

indeq wrote: »
    You don't use it much.

It literally says for light to medium duty tasks in the description.
    I'm not sure why you are berating it so adamantly. I guess you must have had a bad experience.

For info, I have one. It's used every other month to wash the car and more in the summer for decking etc.
    I inherited it three years ago from my father in law when he moved. Not sure how long he had it for - at least a year. Just replaced the 4m hose which had withered over the winter and sprung a leak with a 10m for 30 euro and still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Do Argos price match?

I was hoping to buy the Apple pencil, which they stocked for the same price as Apple (at €109) since January and only in the past few weeks it went back up to €129.99.....

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Amazon Fire 7 Alexa 7 Inch 8GB Tablet - Black. 707/4534

€39.99

Anyone have opinions on this? Would but it literally just for Netflix and mobdro if it is an android?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

stuba wrote: »
    Amazon Fire 7 Alexa 7 Inch 8GB Tablet - Black. 707/4534

€39.99

Anyone have opinions on this? Would but it literally just for Netflix and mobdro if it is an android?

Good tablet at a cracker price.

Battery life is decent and storage is 8GB but expandable via microSD.

It is android however amazon has their own limited FireOS on it, however there are simple ways to install the Play Store on it which opens it up to any app you want.

You can also install APK's on it, just check "allow from unknown sources" in the security settings.

To be honest, at the price its worth it.

Advertisement