Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Fire and Aftermath RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

All of this enclosed spaces and trapped in a fire is chilling. For those who havnt had their full range of horror with this tragedy in London google Station House Fire in the USA. I think over 200 people died. A firework at a concert lit the internal insulation and it quickly became an inferno. one of the most frightening things on the internet - it was filmed live, from inside the gig as it happened, ironically as part of a fire safety promotion. Frightening how silently and quickly it all happened - within about 6 minutes the guy filming was out and behind him the place was an inferno. Bone chilling. Whatever our and any firemen earn they should just triple it. They risk death for us every hour of every day they work, the trauma they deal with must be unimaginable. Whatever they earn, and it is not much, it is far far too little for these men of steel. Heros all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Murrisk wrote: »
    I lost all faith in media sensitivity when I saw RTÉ's handling of that terrible pier tragedy in Donegal last year. Camping outside the bereaved woman's home and pressing the young lad who rescued the baby to describe the scene when he was still clearly traumatised. The Berkeley balcony collapse also crossed the line in how invasive the coverage was, IMO.

It absolutely sickens me, especially when these news outlets hide behind the excuse of trying to be informative and to date. No, you're sensationalist ghouls.

I can't understand why these news agencies cross the line. Sky news are excellent at reporting live events but I can't understand why they would want to ruin their reputation by going tabloid gutter press at times.
    JupiterKid wrote: »

I suspect the recently applied outer cladding in Grenfell House was a major factor in the shockingly fast spread of the inferno. Heads will have to roll over this tragedy.

That's exactly what it was. There were large flames of fire on the exterior of the building which tallies with spectators reports that the building went up in flames in a matter of minutes because it all started on the outside and then worked it's way to the inside.

What I suspect is that the cladding wasn't erected for the satisfaction of the occupants, rather it was done because those tower block buildings were so unsightly to the customers of the nearby luxurious Westfield shopping center which was built circa 2010 to regenerate the area.

Millions were poured into that shopping center where only a few hundred yards away ppl were living in council run high rise towers and not a penny was spent on their safety, only on superficiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Just saying on sky news there that fire fighters are bringing in lights to work through the night

The tube line behind the building has also reopened

All im thinking about is the sight that the firefighters will see when they begin the recovery process once the fire is put out

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

11 stories still on fire :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭emmetlego

AllForIt wrote: »
    What I suspect is that the cladding wasn't erected for the satisfaction of the occupants,

The residents were told it was insulation apparently. Awful awful tragedy. I have a lot of connections in London, mostly sports wise, so I am very saddened by these events. RIP and condolences to all involved. A scandal where people have lost lives again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

MysticMonk wrote: »
    I suspect it was deliberate but that's just me.

Why do you suspect that?

Realistically, how many people would live in those flats? Given... what... 25 (?) storeys, then we're likely looking at hundreds or the low thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Just on sky as they are going through the front pages but I can't believe the sun and more so the times included a picture of people in a window waving a flag to try get help, it's not known if they survived and it's as disrespectful as ITV news earlier showing a video of it

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/875101886705225731

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/875101744174428160

I can half expect it from the Sun but the times​ as well ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why do you suspect that?

Because it happens.

Buildings go on fire either accidentaly or by way of arson..it's a 50/50 bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Realistically, how many people would live in those flats? Given... what... 25 (?) storeys, then we're likely looking at hundreds or the low thousands?

24 floors each with 4 double bedrooms and 2 single bedrooms.

• Advertisement

Because it happens.

But who do you suspect or why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Stheno wrote: »
    11 stories still on fire :(

yes, just seen on tv, house is on fire inside again as winds reigniting it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I can't understand why these news agencies cross the line. Sky news are excellent at reporting live events but I can't understand why they would want to ruin their reputation by going tabloid gutter press at times.

That's exactly what it was. There were large flames of fire on the exterior of the building which tallies with spectators reports that the building went up in flames in a matter of minutes because it all started on the outside and then worked it's way to the inside.

What I suspect is that the cladding wasn't erected for the satisfaction of the occupants, rather it was done because those tower block buildings were so unsightly to the customers of the nearby luxurious Westfield shopping center which was built circa 2010 to regenerate the area.

Millions were poured into that shopping center where only a few hundred yards away ppl were living in council run high rise towers and not a penny was spent on their safety, only on superficiality.

They have been cladding high rise blocks in the UK since the mid-late 80s.

It has nothing do do with politics or class so stop trying to make it an issue.

Most of these tower blocks were designed for OAPs, newly married couples or single people back in the 60's.

We now have families of 5 or more living in flats that were designed with a 20-30 year life span.

They were never designed for that level of occupancy or life.

Ronan Point, especially its demolition should be a must read for anyone that lives in a block of flats.

Death traps from the day they were built. I think Red Road flats in Glasgow were the safest as they were steel framed.

I mean, surely that's a case of pot calling kettle black ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

kopite386 wrote: »
    ..... I can half expect it from the Sun but the times​ as well ...

Personally I think the media are ghouls.

But who do you suspect or why?

I suspect whoever (potentially) caused the fire.
    As for why,thats for forensic experts to establish.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Summerland tragedy happened before I was born but I remember reading about it in the 90s and thinking how horrific it would be to have fiery, molten plastic rain down on me as I tried to escape. :( The plastic cladding burned fiercely and exacerbated the fire - caused by 12 year boys smoking.

On an aside, London is actually becoming a city polarised between the deprived, many of which are ethnic minorities and the filthy rich, oligarchs from Russia, Saudi and China who have been snapping up housing all over the city to leave vacant. The squeezed middle are being forced out of the city by stratospheric rents and house prices. I blame Thatcher and her policies for much of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,139 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Murrisk wrote: »
    My sympathies, that was a horrific incident.

Thanks for that. All day today my thoughts are with those affected at Grenfell Tower. Fire is such a positive, yet bloody destructive thing. The Stardust fire is stuck in my head too because it was, a recent at the time, reminder to my family of that day in Summerland. I remember the conversations the following year at the remembrance. But we move on and I look forward to the cause of todays terrible event being found so things can hopefully get better. Its all one can do.

RIP to the dead. Horrible horrible thing to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Personally I think the media are ghouls.

Aided by general public. If people buy/click easily it validates them.

• Advertisement

Aided by general public. If people buy/click easily it validates them.

Same people on here whinge and whine about Sky News ,and Kay Burley in particular, nearly any time something happens and I'm just here wondering how they know about it. They wouldn't be watching it by any chance would they?!

Sorry I missed your point ? Did not enough ppl die to be worthy of a news report.

Sorry I missed your point ? Did not enough ppl die to be worthy of a news report.

Yes you spectacularly missed his point. Cretinous input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Summerland tragedy happened before I was born but I remember reading about it in the 90s and thinking how horrific it would be to have fiery, molten plastic rain down on me as I tried to escape. :( The plastic cladding burned fiercely and exacerbated the fire - caused by 12 year boys smoking.

On an aside, London is actually becoming a city polarised between the deprived, many of which are ethnic minorities and the filthy rich, oligarchs from Russia, Saudi and China who have been snapping up housing all over the city to leave vacant. The squeezed middle are being forced out of the city by stratospheric rents and house prices. I blame Thatcher and her policies for much of this.

Why are you and others trying to turn this into anti Tory thing? It was a Labour government policy that built the things in the first place.

Same people on here whinge and whine about Sky News ,and Kay Burley in particular, nearly any time something happens and I'm just here wondering how they know about it. They wouldn't be watching it by any chance would they?!

Do we actually need to watch it, live. To have an opinion.

Do we actually need to watch it, live. To have an opinion.

Why continuously and consistently watch programming that you don't agree with ethically? There are other channels and services. People always going on and on about Sky News and Kay Burley... Just switch off or switch over! I think certain people enjoy watching it so they can spew faux outrage afterwards. If they really didn't approve on moral grounds, they'd find another outlet and find it quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Sky News said earlier that there are close to 600 residents living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

All of this enclosed spaces and trapped in a fire is chilling. For those who havnt had their full range of horror with this tragedy in London google Station House Fire in the USA. I think over 200 people died. A firework at a concert lit the internal insulation and it quickly became an inferno. one of the most frightening things on the internet - it was filmed live, from inside the gig as it happened, ironically as part of a fire safety promotion. Frightening how silently and quickly it all happened - within about 6 minutes the guy filming was out and behind him the place was an inferno. Bone chilling. Whatever our and any firemen earn they should just triple it. They risk death for us every hour of every day they work, the trauma they deal with must be unimaginable. Whatever they earn, and it is not much, it is far far too little for these men of steel. Heros all.
    Jesus that's horrific. That video can't have enough warnings on it.
    The speed that fire spread was unreal.
    The guy videoing it was one of the first to react, but barely got out alive.

"We as muslims"...not "we as human beings"...this stuff makes me sick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

"We as muslims"...not "we as human beings"...this stuff makes me sick.

Did you choose to ignore how she referenced other churches, and religions getting involved, along with local Trusts?

If anything, that interview is what we should be looking for from Muslim members of our population, not the radicalisation they have become more known for.

She was very clear in the interview that everyone was welcome to avail of assistance at the mosque, and very clear in saying that lots of different people were contributing to helping.

Advertisement