Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Prime 4

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Metroid Prime may not float some peoples boat but, ultimately, more people loved it than not, and most of them fans of Super Metroid.
    Not to mention that it came out at the same time as Halo but, in this players opinion when I owned them both, MP was the better game, though quite different.
    There's room for everything in the Metroid Church, and they seem to be quite capable of releasing 2D and FPS games from the same franchise.
    Metroid Prime 2, btw, was a complete stunner, with complexity and all about exploration, action and tension, incredible.
    Can't wait for the inevitable re-release of the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

https://youtube.com/watch?v=a4k6nNMcoUg

This is the mix of perspectives I'd like. It can be done, and done brilliantly. Add in analogue controls, not the awkwardness of the Wii remote only, switching from sideways to pointer controls. The switch from 3rd to 1st person can be really seamless if done right. If Retro Studios have the talent, they can do a better job than Team Ninja.

Metroid games, particularly the 3D ones have never been treated with the care or marketing that Mario and Zelda get. They get developed internally, while Metroid has been farmed out. It's a shame that Gunpei Yokoi died, I know he had left Nintendo around a year prior, but you never know what could have happened since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Metroid, despite being a big franchise, was never as big as Zelda or Mario, though to fans it was as big if not bigger.
    It explains why there are comparatively few Metroid titles, as opposed to the other two.

Ya, it's a decade (and counting) since Other M, the last 3D game and on a home console.

Edit: And 13 years since the last Prime game(no, Festeration Farce doesn't count).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Metroid, despite being a big franchise, was never as big as Zelda or Mario, though to fans it was as big if not bigger.
    It explains why there are comparatively few Metroid titles, as opposed to the other two.

Yeah, even the most lauded and highly rated Metroid games only sold a fraction of what Mario or Zelda sold. Which is a travesty, given how good most of them are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I wish Nintendo would give the Metroid licence to an indie dev. I'm very excited for Prime 4, and hopefully a Prime trilogy remaster, but a new 2D Metroid would be a dream. Ideally it would use pixel art in the style of Super Metroid/Zero Mission/Fusion.

I really think one of the indie teams could knock it out of the park, like the steam world or hollow knight team.

Even the AM2R guy did a great job, if they could release that as is it would be a joy to play on Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just updated on the Nintendo site.... Shadow drop imminent! You heard it here first! 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

MP4 = MP Switch Remaster + new story, weapons, gameplay ... levels etc etc.

They've the tech engine done for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a feeling Prime 4 was coming soon. Apparently the Prime remaster was finished years ago awaiting the hype build up for 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Nintendo play the long game as usual.

I honestly think they waited for a world wide pandemic before they launched Animal Crossing New Horizons. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've sat on completed games for years at a time until a good release window opens up. It's probably a more sensible an approach than other publishers but they can't afford to wait. It's also meant that some completed games never make it to the market, particularly late console ones.

Metroid Prime 4 Still Hiring on its 6 Year Reveal Anniversary

I spoke about this back near the start of this year in the Nintendo General Discussion thread, at the time Retro Studios had 2 dozen positions that they were looking to fill. Nobody paid any attention. I guess the 6 year anniversary of its announcement and GameXplain will get more attention. Some of the jobs advertised back then, to me seemed like they were for games a long way from release.

I don't know what's happening with MP4, but I would hope it has been quietly moved across to the Switch successor and may even be a launch title. I feel too that Retro Studios has gotten too much praise for Metroid Prime Remastered. There were literally a dozen companies that worked on that game. And only a handful of Retro Studios staff featured in the end credits.

Rumours are a reveal in July. The remaster release was an obvious hype ramp up before a release and was said to be completed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

That looks class. The power drive looks amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Its an April Fools but I'm always down for games that mash up genres that shouldn't work. Gold Metroidvania sounds like a good idea,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Well, I may as well post my gaming reference now:

Advertisement