Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Prime 4

Options
  • 13-06-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,041 ✭✭✭✭

MetroidPrime4.jpg

Not a lot is known besides it being made by a “talented new development team.” The game will still be overseen by longtime producer Kensuke Tanabe, who produced the previous Metroid Prime games. Nintendo didn’t reveal additional details about development, but did confirm that the game is still a first-person adventure and will be released “beyond 2017.”

Back in 2015, Tababe told IGN what he wanted in a new Prime sequel, explaining that there is "still more I want to build around the story of Sylux and Samus. There’s something going on between them. I want to make a game that touches upon [it]." He added at the time that "in that eventual game between Sylux and Samus that might get made, that I want to involve the [Galactic] Federation as well." For now, we don't know if this will actually be the story of Metroid Prime 4 or if plans have changed since then.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-what-metroid-primes-producer-wants-in-the-next-sequel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's vague enough that they could have theoretically started this last week (with producing that trailer). :)

This game could actually be years away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It'll be a while before there's more news alright.
    I think without this title teaser, and that's all it was, things might have appeared a little thinner for the Nintendo E3 showing.
    That said, compared with the personally disappointing showing from MS and Sony, Nintendo seemed to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Could be like the time Smash Wii U+3DS were announced with Sakurai being involved to which Sakurai's reaction was basically "Wait! What?" He was still on Kid Icarus at the time so hadn't even started

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think considering the last few years in the history of Metroid, just the fact a new Prime is confirmed to be in development completely deserves to be big news even without gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Corholio wrote: »
    I think considering the last few years in the history of Metroid, just the fact a new Prime is confirmed to be in development completely deserves to be big news even without gameplay.

For me, this is it. Though having Samus Returns coming to the 3ds is a nice little stop-gap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,041 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Why didn't they say who's making the game other than it's a “talented new development team?” They may not have a team or even started. They could have slapped that logo together at the last minute and it's the same music from Prime's starting screen. Literally every site has had people asking for a new Metroid game for ages. Had they not said anything there may have been riots(exaggerating just a little). No release date other than beyond 2017, that could be anything. Probably not next year or they would have said so. I had a feeling it wasn't Retro Studios, I said yesterday I don't believe they have the talent for a game like this anymore.

And what are they at? Nothing announced today. They're slower than Christmas. In nearly 2 decades I think they've made 5 original titles, not counting Trilogy or the 3DS version of DKCR. They're not exactly prolific. So 3 Prime games and 2 Donkey Kong games. Retro Studios is an apt name, if they any more Retro they'd be going backwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose the fluid nature of the modern dev scene means that changes in team size and make up are inevitable.
    Perhaps Retro Studios are the kind of dev team that is active when required and otherwise is reduced in size and activity between titles.
    Just a suggestion...

But, no harm in having a new team on Metroid Prime 4.
    Keeping in mind reservations you've had Sligeach, it might be just what the franchise might need to reinvigorate it.

Looking at Retro Studio's release list of games, both developed by them and where they contributed to development of games by others, they seem to have had a steady output, certainly since 2007, it's been a title every two years or so, with a three year gap between Tropical Freeze and what ever they are working on now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Studios#2010.E2.80.93present:_Donkey_Kong_Country_series_and_other_projects

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mr E wrote: »
    It's vague enough that they could have theoretically started this last week (with producing that trailer). :)

This game could actually be years away.

I heard a rumour it'll be the last big game produced for the Switch, & will also be a launch lineup for the next Ninty console which is codenamed: Nintendo Dimmer Switch....

/runs

Fecking n00bs

Member Super Metroid? Metroid Prime?
    I member

• Advertisement

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/283685-what-happened-to-mercurysteam-s-original-pitches-for-metroid-wii

Interesting, but what's worrying is the punters in the comments thinking a Super Metroid remake is a good idea!
    Leave the thing alone, it's perfect as it is!!

Metroid Prime Warriors? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Huh, so then what are Retro Studios working on?

latest?cb=20090930144719

gizmo wrote: »

LABO if rumours are to be believed. :mad: There was also a story about David Wise working over in Retro Studios a short while ago, thereby hinting at something Donkey Kong related. It could just be some additional music for the upcoming port of DKC: TF or it could be a new Donkey Kong game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gizmo wrote: »

Funky Kong

Eurogamer have updated their previous story about Bandai Namco Singapore working on Metroid Prime 4.

[UPDATE: Since publication I've heard Bandai Namco's Japan studio is also working on the project, with the intention it will now take the lead on its development while Singapore moves to focus on another Switch game]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-08-yes-namco-bandai-is-working-on-metroid-prime-4

Dark Souls and Tekken devs...

**** yes!

sligeach wrote: »
    Eurogamer have updated their previous story about Bandai Namco Singapore working on Metroid Prime 4.

[UPDATE: Since publication I've heard Bandai Namco's Japan studio is also working on the project, with the intention it will now take the lead on its development while Singapore moves to focus on another Switch game]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-08-yes-namco-bandai-is-working-on-metroid-prime-4

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Oh God I hope not!

Why ruin perfectly good Single Player games by putting in unrequired ****e!

Retro Studios hires Battlefield and Star Wars artist as VFX lead
    METROID PRIME 4 STUDIO CONTINUES TO STAFF UP

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/retro-studios-hires-battlefield-and-star-wars-artist-as-vfx-lead/

GONINTENDO THOUGHT: THE PRESSURE ON RETRO STUDIOS WITH METROID PRIME 4 IS IMMENSE

https://gonintendo.com/stories/360890-gonintendo-thought-the-pressure-on-retro-studios-with-metroid-pr

I've said in the past that when Prime released, it was a stunner. The Gamecube was on par graphically with the competition, the last time Nintendo competed hardware wise. The Switch isn't a whole lot more powerful than the Wii U, and that was criticised for being weak back in 2012.

By the time Metroid Prime 4 comes out, the PS5 and Nextbox will be on the market. How is it going to wow people? Mario and Zelda can get around the limitations of the hardware by being cartoony or by using a certain style like cel-shading. Metroid Prime 4 won't be able to do this if it uses a more realistic looking graphical style as is largely expected.

Metroid: Other M gets a hard time and I don't think it's fair. I agree with RMC about the story, I think most can agree, it was $h1t€. There were some other flaws, like the pixel hunting and using only the Wii remote for controls was a mistake.

But the game did some things right. Samus was fast and agile. The 3rd person perspective allows a lot more of the arsenal of Samus to be employed. In the Prime games, the 3rd person perspective is largely confined to the morph ball and a few staged spin jumps.

Why can't we have both 1st person and 3rd person elements? The game would be all the better for it. Super Metroid was amazing, but the switch to 1st person in Prime, nerfed Samus. When the game originally started development, they tried 3rd person, but they couldn't handle it. There was a reason though why they tried 3rd person.

Mario and Zelda games aren't played in 1st person, neither should Metroid in my opinion. For some aspects(e.g. shooting and scanning), yes, but I don't think it should be the predominant view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Mario and Zelda games aren't played in 1st person, neither should Metroid in my opinion. For some aspects(e.g. shooting and scanning), yes, but I don't think it should be the predominant view.

Apples and oranges though. Mario and Zelda aren't FPS games, and FP would radically alter the gameplay of those two (not that I'd want a FP Mario/Zelda). Frankly I find it somewhat ridiculous in 3rd that you can continue to run in one direction, and rotate the screen in a full sphere around the character, makes you feel less like link and more like Navi :D FP can be a great mechanic to make a game more immersive in that regard.

I also don't like games that switch from 3rd for exploring to 1st for shooting, just feels janky. Pick one or the other, because combining ruins the game flow. And that was one thing the Prime trilogy nailed was a great game flow [marred by the staged spin jump bits - which would make for horrible FP view :pac:]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

By the time Metroid Prime 4 comes out, the PS5 and Nextbox will be on the market. How is it going to wow people? Mario and Zelda can get around the limitations of the hardware by being cartoony or by using a certain style like cel-shading. Metroid Prime 4 won't be able to do this if it uses a more realistic looking graphical style as is largely expected.

It's call Xbox Series X, not "Nextbox". :rolleyes:

Doesn't the Switch handle "more realistic" looking games just fine when created by competent developers? Most folks on here said The Witcher 3 looks pretty good. Personally I hope they don't go too realistic with Prime 4 - just give us a 1080p version of the GC game and I'll be happy.
    Why can't we have both 1st person and 3rd person elements? The game would be all the better for it. Super Metroid was amazing, but the switch to 1st person in Prime, nerfed Samus. When the game originally started development, they tried 3rd person, but they couldn't handle it. There was a reason though why they tried 3rd person.

The reason they tried something different is because they wanted to evolve the franchise - and thank god they did because what we got was brilliant. I'm not sure, maybe you were too young to have played Prime when it first released on the GameCube - it was an incredible change. Exactly like Mario 64 was, exactly like Ocarina of Time was - you had to be there to appreciate how amazing they were because they went in a different direction and were implemented brilliantly. :)

Would you have been happy if Mario and Zelda never moved on from their 2D versions?

The new Metroid Prime game absolutely should be 1st person except for Morph Ball sections - that is the Prime way - it worked perfectly fine back on the GameCube and will be just as good on the Switch in 2020 or whatever year it comes out.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It's call Xbox Series X, not "Nextbox". :rolleyes:

Doesn't the Switch handle "more realistic" looking games just fine when created by competent developers? Most folks on here said The Witcher 3 looks pretty good. Personally I hope they don't go too realistic with Prime 4 - just give us a 1080p version of the GC game and I'll be happy.

The reason they tried something different is because they wanted to evolve the franchise - and thank god they did because what we got was brilliant. I'm not sure, maybe you were too young to have played Prime when it first released on the GameCube - it was an incredible change. Exactly like Mario 64 was, exactly like Ocarina of Time was - you had to be there to appreciate how amazing they were because they went in a different direction and were implemented brilliantly. :)

Would you have been happy if Mario and Zelda never moved on from their 2D versions?

The new Metroid Prime game absolutely should be 1st person except for Morph Ball sections - that is the Prime way - it worked perfectly fine back on the GameCube and will be just as good on the Switch in 2020 or whatever year it comes out.

Nextbox is a better name that Xbox Series X 1 XXX Part Deus. ;) It's a daft naming system Microsoft have.

I wouldn't say the Switch handles realistic games brilliantly. Well it depends on the scale and scope. Getting the Witcher 3 to run on a handheld is impressive, but it's heavily pared back visually and it shows. I'd be hoping for something more impressive than "a 1080p version of the GC game" after 20 years.

The reason they went 1st person was that they couldn't handle both perspectives, it would have been a big technical challenge for them I guess, that's what I heard at the time, I remember seeing 3rd person screenshots, and reading the Wikipedia page:
    The game was planned to use a third-person perspective, but after Miyamoto intervened this was changed to first-person perspective and almost everything already developed was scrapped. The change was prompted by camera problems experienced by Rare, which was developing the N64 game Jet Force Gemini.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime

I'm more than old enough to remember Prime, and Super Metroid. And that's the thing. Prime is great and all in its limited ways. But it’s not a true transition from Super Metroid, that is the pinnacle, Samus is not the same in Prime, she doesn't have all the moves, the ability. The addition of a 3rd person view would allow her to use her array of abilities. Just look at the Grappling Beam in Prime compared to Super Metroid for example , it's completely nerfed. And that's just one aspect. Speed Booster is another. In Metroid: Other M it was back, because a 3rd person view makes it natural.

Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time made the leap from 2D to 3D faithfully, Prime didn't.

Prime might be perfect for you as is, but I'm still waiting it to transition from Super Metroid. And to do that, it needs both 1st and 3rd person views. They should be able to do that in this day and age. The game won't be out this year and I doubt it'll be out next year either.

A couple of very early screenshots of how Prime was originally going to look.
    latest?cb=20100627225125

latest?cb=20140822195057

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Nextbox is a better name that Xbox Series X 1 XXX Part Deus. ;) It's a daft naming system Microsoft have.

I wouldn't say the Switch handles realistic games brilliantly. Well it depends on the scale and scope. Getting the Witcher 3 to run on a handheld is impressive, but it's heavily pared back visually and it shows. I'd be hoping for something more impressive than "a 1080p version of the GC game" after 20 years.

The reason they went 1st person was that they couldn't handle both perspectives, it would have been a big technical challenge for them I guess, that's what I heard at the time, I remember seeing 3rd person screenshots, and reading the Wikipedia page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime

I'm more than old enough to remember Prime, and Super Metroid. And that's the thing. Prime is great and all in its limited ways. But it’s not a true transition from Super Metroid, that is the pinnacle, Samus is not the same in Prime, she doesn't have all the moves, the ability. The addition of a 3rd person view would allow her to use her array of abilities. Just look at the Grappling Beam in Prime compared to Super Metroid for example , it's completely nerfed. And that's just one aspect. Speed Booster is another. In Metroid: Other M it was back, because a 3rd person view makes it natural.

Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time made the leap from 2D to 3D faithfully, Prime didn't.

Prime might be perfect for you as is, but I'm still waiting it to transition from Super Metroid. And to do that, it needs both 1st and 3rd person views. They should be able to do that in this day and age. The game won't be out this year and I doubt it'll be out next year either.

Being that Other M is AFAIK the only game so far to have done 1st and 3rd person views as you describe (excluding the Power Ball bits in the Prime games), and that Other M was a total two-flusher of a game (the only Metroid game I've ever bought and then not bothered to finish), I'm going to say I disagree.

I enjoyed every 2D Metroid game I played, and for me Fusion was the pinnacle of that. But I can accept that there's nothing more that can be done in the 2D space for the franchise, and that moving it into the 3D space requires changing how the game is set up and approached.

I'm not really arsed about being able to directly see a line between Super Metroid and whatever the new game is - I'm more interested in whether the feel of the game is the same, and more importantly whether it's fun to play. I hope that the lessons about craptacular gameplay and arsegravy story in Other M have been learned, but that will remain to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Nintendo could have used the BOTW engine, art style/aesthetic (heavily modified for Metroid of course) to create a fantastic open world Metroid in house. Something completely new, with 3rd person perspective.

Can you imagine that !?

Advertisement