Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help, been harassed for 2 months..

Options
  • 13-06-2017 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all. In need of some real help dealing with a person thats been harassing me for 2 months so far.

I have had this person online for the past 2 months initially harass me and my YouTube channel by making multiple channels of their own to mass-dislike videos (this is easy to do on the site, you use an email to make one account but you can make up to 50 or so channels per account). He/She also frequently leaves abuse and threats on my posts. I ignored this for a while but they escalated their actions by creating a channel that is impersonating me and leaving racist and abusive comments on other channels. There have been times where the channels in question have filed complaints against me and have sent me death threats believing it to be myself which has hurt my business and has damaged my reputation etc.

They have since threatened to take things even further beyond YouTube and given how persistent he/she is and how much work they have put into their actions I am worried that he/she may harass my family, friends or workplace and get me fired. Filing the standard complaints to YouTube does nothing as this person will simply make another account then another 50 channels and continue on as normal.

I've tried everything I can from ignoring him to putting up disclaimers but he just keeps on and on day in day out. My channel is slowly getting killed by it and theres nothing I can do. The impersonation issue is obviously more concerning, I had one famous YouTuber slate me on their Snapchat which was followed by more death threats. I cant take it anymore. I want to get law enforcement involved but who do I talk to about my problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Any idea who the person is?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MC212 wrote: »
    Hi all. In need of some real help dealing with a person thats been harassing me for 2 months so far.

I have had this person online for the past 2 months initially harass me and my YouTube channel by making multiple channels of their own to mass-dislike videos (this is easy to do on the site, you use an email to make one account but you can make up to 50 or so channels per account). He/She also frequently leaves abuse and threats on my posts. I ignored this for a while but they escalated their actions by creating a channel that is impersonating me and leaving racist and abusive comments on other channels. There have been times where the channels in question have filed complaints against me and have sent me death threats believing it to be myself which has hurt my business and has damaged my reputation etc.

They have since threatened to take things even further beyond YouTube and given how persistent he/she is and how much work they have put into their actions I am worried that he/she may harass my family, friends or workplace and get me fired. Filing the standard complaints to YouTube does nothing as this person will simply make another account then another 50 channels and continue on as normal.

I've tried everything I can from ignoring him to putting up disclaimers but he just keeps on and on day in day out. My channel is slowly getting killed by it and theres nothing I can do. The impersonation issue is obviously more concerning, I had one famous YouTuber slate me on their Snapchat which was followed by more death threats. I cant take it anymore. I want to get law enforcement involved but who do I talk to about my problem?

If actual threats are made then you need to contact the Guards OP. I suggest you go do that ASAP with documented evidence to back up your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I want to get law enforcement involved but who do I talk to about my problem?
    Youtube? If someone is harassing you and creating fake accounts youtube can shut them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MC212

Nope. No idea who they are, where they're from or why they're doing this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have you considered closing up your channel? Is hassle from the internet worth spilling over into real life?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Also report to Youtube/Snapchat or basically report to the owners of the platform you are getting the hassle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Have you ever done anything memorably bad to anyone you know OP? Try to think back . Because Id bet my life savings the person is somebody you know in real life . Yes there are crazies in the world who'll target innocent people for no real reason but its exceptionally rare

Could you get somebody who's good with computers to find out their IP address so you even know what country or city theyre from? That would at least help find out if you know them or if its a stranger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I am interested in knowing what you have done to piss this person off so much.

Call the Gardai regarding the death threats. Contact youtube also.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Have you ever done anything memorably bad to anyone you know OP? Try to think back . Because Id bet my life savings the person is somebody you know in real life . Yes there are crazies in the world who'll target innocent people for no real reason but its exceptionally rare

Could you get somebody who's good with computers to find out their IP address so you even know what country or city theyre from? That would at least help find out if you know them or if its a stranger

That would be ideal. I think I maybe told this person to f- off at one point but im just astounded at their persistency

Call the Gardai regarding the death threats. Contact youtube also.

Youtube is no good, may as well talk to a brick wall. Plus as I said he has made 50 channels on one account, it takes weeks and loads of effort to ban one channel, he'll just switch to another and continue

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Have you considered closing up your channel? Is hassle from the internet worth spilling over into real life?

The channels quite big though, big enough to be making me some money every month. Ive put years into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

HitMan.com thgrinning-smiley-003.gif

I am not sure there is a way to get someones IP address from you tube activity. It is not like Email where their messages come with Headers and the like. Only You tube have that information I suspect. I could very much be wrong there of course, but that is what I expect.

OP There is not much advice to give I fear. If someone's activity in You Tube is in your opinion a breach of the TOS, then you have to talk to you tube. If they are making threats to your real life then you have to take to the Police. There is not much else to be done short of letting the bully win - and closing down your account on You Tube entirely.

As for _who_ to talk to in the Police - just walk into your local station and talk to the first person who comes to you. They will know better than anyone who you can talk to from that point on and advise you on what can or can not be done.

The only other advice to be offered is not what you should do but what you should _not_ ever do. Do not respond to it in kind. Do not use foul language - threats - aggression or anything else. Because if it at any point ever does come to be a legal issue - you want to be morally and legally clean. Follow only proper procedures and behaviour at all times - and do not ever give anything that could be used against you morally or legally in the future.

However You Tube is a large community and this kind of thing happens all the time. There is _bound_ to be videos by people who suffered the same as you are - who made videos about how they resolved it and how they dealt with it. Watch some - maybe mail the authors of them for further advice on your specific situation etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The channels quite big though, big enough to be making me some money every month. Ive put years into it.

God thats so awful Im really sorry. Similar thing happened to my brother with his youtube account which he worked very hard on, thankfully they just stopped harassing though . He couldn't do anything either. I think you should get the gardai involved, the person has made threats which is concrete engouh reason to get police involved. And Im sure they would be able to source the location of the accounts easily. Hopefully theyre irish and then the gardai can speak to them, give them a warning,fine ,whatever.

Potentially little or nothing at all. It is amazing how little it _can_ take to trigger someone into behaviour like this. I had a sequence of death threats once myself merely for mentioning off hand that I planned to become a father. The user in question (not on boards - somewhere else) decided I should never become a father for a variety of reasons and deigned to inform me that if I ever did - he would personally find me and kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

by creating a channel that is impersonating me and leaving racist and abusive comments on other channels. There have been times where the channels in question

if dont mind asking do you comment on stuff or do you go on cam ? since what way one does impersonate channel do they go like anonymous with robotic voice type of crap text on screen ?

should be obvious to anyone who looks your channel to see fake one :confused:

as cyber threats go dont imagine any of that crap materializes,dunno what guards would think if you told all story.

presume messages you got was either youtube or email so thats your point of contact for them to solve it be it youtube or other providers who can get straight lock on the person.

anyway seems trolling or competition hate etc.

only advise separate your personal friends home business accounts from twitter youtube or wherever you post.

find someone with skills to trace ip's be by setting up fake skype account or email and root out the troll.

scamalert wrote: »
    should be obvious to anyone who looks your channel to see fake one

It is quite common on You Tube actually. In fact many people will advise you when selecting a user name on You Tube not to use certain characters and letters that _can_ look like other characters and letters. Observe -

IrelandOnline
    lrelandOnline

They at first glance may look like the same channel name. So if I owned the first one and suddenly someone with the second one started going around making abusive - racist - or violent comments on every one elses videos - some of the back push from that will come to me.
    as cyber threats go dont imagine any of that crap materializes,dunno what guards would think if you told all story.

Only one way to find out. Go and talk to them and find out!

But yes - the vast majority of online threats are made by people with no intention or ability to follow them through. But although there is almost no chance of winning the lotto - people still play the lotto - because of the "what if" effect.

And when you are the subject of an online threat that effect is strong. You might now intellectually that it is highly unlikely they will ever come knocking with knife or gun in hand. But you still get the "what if" feeling of fear and dread and start jumping at every knock at your door.

When you get _enough_ threats I am sure you start to develop a sense for which ones to take seriously. Sam Harris has talked about that at some length how he gets threats all the time. But there was only one or two he genuinely sought police advice on.

But most of us do not get threats regularly. We get them once - if ever - in our life and we do not know how to deal with it when it happens.

by creating a channel that is impersonating me and leaving racist and abusive comments on other channels. There have been times where the channels in question

if dont mind asking do you comment on stuff or do you go on cam ? since what way one does impersonate channel do they go like anonymous with robotic voice type of crap text on screen ?

should be obvious to anyone who looks your channel to see fake one :confused:

presume messages you got was either youtube or email so thats your point of contact for them to solve it be it youtube or other providers who can get straight lock on the person.

anyway seems trolling or competition hate etc.

only advise separate your personal friends home business accounts from twitter youtube or wherever you post.

find someone with skills to trace ip's be by setting up fake skype account or email and root out the troll.

They make another channel under my name with my profile pic and link the person thats being abused to their "main channel" which is mine. They have a message like 'check out my main channel which im always on' on the spoof channel and a link to mine. I get reported then. Some people dont fall for it but a lot of them do and I get called a 'racist!' and reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Surely Youtube will have your profile history and all the details on the fake profile to warrant shutting it down if you report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

so you get threats from people that fall for impersonator ? or person himself.Since i imagine gmail youtube would be able to point out address if its coming directly from the person whos doing it, given theres always long trail of records.

Might be well worth to hit some security forums, you might get better advice or suggestions maybe even someone willing to help.Other then that Guards if you dont see other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They make another channel under my name with my profile pic and link the person thats being abused to their "main channel" which is mine. They have a message like 'check out my main channel which im always on' on the spoof channel and a link to mine. I get reported then. Some people dont fall for it but a lot of them do and I get called a 'racist!' and reported.
    If they are using your photo and content then they're technically using your intellectual property illegally. If you take a photo you own the copyright and can take someone to court for using it without your permission.

Isn't there a way to flag youtube videos for illegal use of other peoples intellectual property? Report him that way to youtube too. At the very least they'll likely restrict his account straight away while they check the validity of your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Close it all down and walk away. No job/Business is worth this sort of grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Link to your channel there. Lets see this abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

In my experience, social media sites are very poor in handling harassment.

I was targeted on Twitter by someone who said "I hope your kids get raped by a priest" and "it'd be unfortunate if they were gang-raped in a car park" and "I know where you work, I'll find you and end you".

Reported all to Twitter who responded "We found no violation".

It takes quite a lot to get banned. As for the Guards, honestly you're wasting your time going down that road. If you could determine what country the harassment is coming from it might help.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Link to your channel there. Lets see this abuse.

Don't do this.

Ive obviously reported the channel impersonating me to YouTube via their oh so useful reporting tool, nothing has happened. Even if it was taken down, it would take literally a few minutes to put up a new one in its place.

And im not walking away from something ive sunk years into and have built a community with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

There have been times where the channels in question have filed complaints against me and have sent me death threats believing it to be myself which has hurt my business and has damaged my reputation etc.

How serious are the internet death threats, on a scale from Eric Cartman to Liam Neeson?

Ive obviously reported the channel impersonating me to YouTube via their oh so useful reporting tool, nothing has happened. Even if it was taken down, it would take literally a few minutes to put up a new one in its place.

And im not walking away from something ive sunk years into and have built a community with

Contact the guards so OP and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801947?hl=en

Seems they have a procedure for this.

Advertisement