Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship wages

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

I asked a 3rd year apprentice plumber today.... €440 after tax for 39 hour week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

gifted wrote: »
    I asked a 3rd year apprentice plumber today.... €440 after tax for 39 hour week.

Small domestic or industrial?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So over €500 before tax.
    Sounds about right to me.

2011 wrote: »
    So over €500 after tax.
    Sounds about right to me.

For industrial yea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Thats about right in line with what i was getting as a 3rd year.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    And during all my phases I don't think I met anyone who was paid Fas wages out on the job. Everyone used to love going to collage for the big pay increases
    I can only speak for my own phase, but mostly the only ones who seen a big increase was the country lads who FAS gave a decent top up for the lodge too.
    Can i ask what roughly what time period you went through the system during ?

I was in the system 2006 - 2011 took more than 4 years as there was a waiting list to get into FAS & the ITs for block releases.

What wage structure are the domestic plumbers paying their apprentices?

What wage structure are the domestic plumbers paying their apprentices?
    Its the same apprenticeship as industrial - it should be the same rate, but there is more of a chance of paid overtime and travel allowances etc in industrial as the big employers will play by the rules for the most part.

http://www.apprenticeship.ie/en/apprentice/craft/Pages/ApprenticeInfo.aspx

Its the same apprenticeship as industrial - it should be the same rate, but there is more of a chance of paid overtime and travel allowances etc in industrial as the big employers will play by the rules for the most part.

Big employers have massive turnovers profits etc and unions and so on so on. A one man show domestic tradesman simply couldn't afford to pay those rates. It's as simple as that.

I can only speak for my own phase, but mostly the only ones who seen a big increase was the country lads who FAS gave a decent top up for the lodge too.

I was in the system 2006 - 2011 took more than 4 years as there was a waiting list to get into FAS & the ITs for block releases.

99-03ish myself. The wage increase was a good bit. That wasn't including any allowances.

• Advertisement

Quote: Outkast_IRE

99-03ish myself. The wage increase was a good bit. That wasn't including any allowances

I've boss white in me shed older than ye...mere pups is all ye are lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Dtp1979 wrote:
    And during all my phases I don't think I met anyone who was paid Fas wages out on the job. Everyone used to love going to collage for the big pay increases

I was one of them poor bastads back in 98 :) Jas loved going to Fas and college for the extra money !!! Served my time as fitter/turner Back in the day the only ones on super money going to Fas were the building trades. I think at the time they had set unions rates as agreed with the building industry . Nearly sure the sparks were the best paid and it worked down the building trades and then it was the mechanical lads like fitters were mid table and the poorest were the mechanics. I know anyone in my trade working for a small business got mediocre pay compared to anyone working for the multinationals or the likes of the ESB or the sugar factory at the time most of those lads were doing a degree same time as their apprenticeship and job was paying for it .

Just thinking about this and seen the government are starting to push apprenticehips again in a big way.

If they dont work on getting a set wage for each stage of each apprenticeship then i think they are going to struggle. Conditions on most sites are pathetic in this country with the main contractor looking for subbies for everything with no job security etc.

Just thinking about this and seen the government are starting to push apprenticehips again in a big way.

If they dont work on getting a set wage for each stage of each apprenticeship then i think they are going to struggle. Conditions on most sites are pathetic in this country with the main contractor looking for subbies for everything with no job security etc.

I see now apprentices are getting charged 1k for phases 4 and 6 as far as I
    Can see

Can see
    While i was there we needed to pay a small contribution i think it was in the region of €300-350 which was fair enough. I think the contribution is necessary for some of the students to actually appreciate the opportunity they are being given.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Victor wrote:
    Depending on how much work experience he has, he should be entitled to minimum wage, which has different levels, depending on age, experience and training status.

Minimum wage does not apply for apprenticeships as technically you're in full time education. How would it be right that a brand new first year apprentice can bring home in the region of 400 a week on min wage and a man qualified years command 100 or 200 more?? (Obvs depending on different trades that figure will differ)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Can see

Yeah that is correct.

While i was there we needed to pay a small contribution i think it was in the region of €300-350 which was fair enough. I think the contribution is necessary for some of the students to actually appreciate the opportunity they are being given.

True yes. Back in my day (god that makes me feel old) there was no fees whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

mickward wrote: »
    Hi guys,

can you help me out, the nephew is in phase 4 or 5 of his apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic.

Now how is wages set for this?
    Solas say there is no set wage, and his company he works for pay quite low.

can someone who knows the score here please help out with how this is policed as there has to be some legislation to ensure he is not been taken advantage off.

Also, it may just be me but i contacted the local citizens advice, they were of no help what soever, the lady had no clue about what i was talking about.

I just want to ensure the lad is not taken advantage off as he is a good lad with no one to help him along.

An Apprenticeship is a training course and as such exempt from the minimum wage.

Rates of pay are "suggested" and listed here

The tend to be used a guideline rather than a definitive rate but most employers will pay there or there about's.

however you will find unionised workplaces. particularly the electrical ones the rates tend to be enforced stronger.

There is no specific piece of legislation covering apprentice pay rates..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm currently an apprentice carpenter have ph 6 completed have 9 months time left to serve and take home is 460 had to pay 1000e for ph4 and ph6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Pw881

I'm currently an apprentice carpenter have ph 6 completed have 9 months time left to serve and take home is 460 had to pay 1000e for ph4 and ph6

Advertisement