Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions vs Highlanders

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    Maybe he did lots of unseen work.

Whether or not work goes unseen depends on who is watching, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

It'll be interesting to see if Sexton and Farrell both start on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Rhys Webb offers something that Murray doesn't have.

What would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Buer wrote:
    There was a lot of 6/10 level performances out there from a lot of experienced internationals.

At this stage it's very much the B team anyway from the starting XV only sinkler warburton stander webb and possibly Biggar are in with a chance of the test squad imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

stephen_n wrote: »
    What would that be?

The Welsh winners attitude probably according to Gats :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

awec wrote: »
    Aside from the forward pass and Joseph dropping it, it was a rubbish move to call. Ireland did the same thing against Wales in the six nations, a last minute set piece and they went for the miracle midfield move.

It was in penalty territory and they were only 1 point behind. Should have played it safe.

That move wouldn't even be considered if it was a test match and not a warm up game.... I hope!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

stephen_n wrote: »
    What would that be?

The tempo that he brings. Murray spends an age getting the ball away from the ruck allowing the defensive line to reset.

Webb made some lovely breaks down the blindside.

If it is a wet game it is Murray all day for the control he gives.

Some big calls to be made now. Do they start with concussion prone Sexton and North and risk them going off very early.

Halfpenny is nailed on for 15 for his kicking.

The Lions are light on the wings. Very dependent on L Wiilliams and North staying fit.

I wonder will they start Farrell and Teo at 10/12 now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wing is going to be a problem area. Nobody has really stood out so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The tempo that he brings. Murray spends an age getting the ball away from the ruck allowing the defensive line to reset.

Some big calls to be made now. Do they start with concussion prone Sexton and North and risk them going off very early.

The Lions are light on the wings. Very dependent on L Wiilliams and North staying fit.

Concussion prone sexton? Why bring him on tour if that was true

Anybody else really enjoying the rugby but really lethargic about the Lions winning.

• Advertisement

Watson has been the best winger on tour so far

What has Williams done to deserve a place on the wing, he has played horrific

irishman86 wrote: »
    Anybody else really enjoying the rugby but really lethargic about the Lions winning.

Have to admit I didn't really mind seeing the Highlanders win. They play great rugby and I like to see teams who play like that rewarded. It's much more entertaining to watch.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,265 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Disappointed with the Highlanders backline. Were they missing many?

Disappointed how?
    They seemed to have the lions stressed anytime they went s wide. Hands were good and wingers made ground quite often.

They were missing Aaron and Ben Smith and Rob Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Murray is more than capeable of making breaks, Webb definitely plays a higher tempo game, but that can also affect decision making. Murray is quick enough getting the ball away at times, but definitely goes for accuracy more often. Overall though Murray is the better SH by a considerable distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Back 3 very close to picking itself - Halfpenny, Watson and AN Other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Back 3 very close to picking itself - Halfpenny, Watson and AN Other

If he stays fit, North is nailed on to start

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone know what the average number of players used over a three test series is? I'd imagine close to 30 players will feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Webbs wrote: »
    If he stays fit, North is nailed on to start

Which is kinda scandalous - he is lucky to even be on the tour going on his form this season
    Would like to see Daly given more gametime to show what he can do

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Does anyone know what the average number of players used over a three test series is? I'd imagine close to 30 players will feature.

Was 30 in the last tour, I believe. But that was increased significantly due to several guys who had no apearance before that getting a run out off the bench in the final test when the series was won. Farrell, Gray, Tipuric and Tuilagi all got 15-25 minutes as a token gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

.ak wrote: »
    I thought best, CJ, Warbs, Hendo, McGrath, Webb, Biggar, Henshaw all looked massive improved.

Seymour, Joseph looked better than last showings; just!

Joseph really mixed the sublime with the poor, so many missed tackles from a 13 is poor form.

Cole was a liability, pretty much gifted them the game.

I'd question this. The first scrum penalty against him was on the opposite side from the ref, but the touch judge didn't call it against their LH. The second - there was no way their LH was driving forward right in front of the ref. Very dodgy calls, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

dregin wrote: »
    I'd question this. The first scrum penalty against him was on the opposite side from the ref, but the touch judge didn't call it against their LH. The second - there was no way their LH was driving forward right in front of the ref. Very dodgy calls, imo.

That one really stumped me. Open to correction but while it looked like Highlanders got the initial nudge they then proceeded to bore in illegally.

I wonder if the ref just took at the initial nudge and took the view that the Lions weren't taking the pressure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Buer wrote: »
    Was 30 in the last tour, I believe. But that was increased significantly due to several guys who had no apearance before that getting a run out off the bench in the final test when the series was won. Farrell, Gray, Tipuric and Tuilagi all got 15-25 minutes as a token gesture.

Given this year's options at centre, Tuilagi would play every minute at 13 if he was ever fit I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

Buer wrote: »

Wasn't it 1-1 going into the final test last time?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

bluedex wrote: »
    Wasn't it 1-1 going into the final test last time?

Game was well won I guess. Though the fact they were on the bench means they weren't exactly unlikely to get on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

The Lions were well set and reasonably comfortable to win this game at 22-13 following Warburton's try and Biggar's conversion.

Unfortunately and crucially for what happened next, Jared Payne then (unchallenged) immediately dropped the restart (as easy a ball to catch as can be) right in front of his posts. Coming so quickly after conceding that gave the Highlanders all the momentum they needed at that juncture and a try followed within 6/7 minutes.

There were plenty of mistakes by others but, for me, that was the one that really counted against the Lions today.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    The Lions were well set and reasonably comfortable to win this game at 22-13 following Warburton's try and Biggar's conversion.

Unfortunately and crucially for what happened next, Jared Payne then (unchallenged) immediately dropped the restart (as easy a ball to catch as can be) right in front of his posts. Coming so quickly after conceding that gave the Highlanders all the momentum they needed at that juncture and a try followed within 6/7 minutes.

There were plenty of mistakes by others but, for me, that was the one that really counted against the Lions today.

Actually I think a bigger factor was Alun Wyn Jones giving away the offside penalty that led directly to the lineout from which they scored their try. This came right after a fantastic counter ruck by Henderson and the Lions clearing their lines.

After watching it again the first try was definitely crossing on henshaw surely? Completely taken out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

dregin wrote: »

Cole starts both scrums with his hips angling out so he can bore in on the hooker. The Highlanders go forward which then twists him in even further and causes him to pop up or collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

After watching it again the first try was definitely crossing on henshaw surely? Completely taken out of it

100% obstruction. Not to be a sook (I really do like that word), Ainley sees Henshaw coming up to make the tackle and jumps in front of him to block his path to Naholo. It's as clear as day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zZ6VM6yyzk&t=1m9s

Advertisement