Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions vs Highlanders

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Cole starts both scrums with his hips angling out so he can bore in on the hooker. The Highlanders go forward which then twists him in even further and causes him to pop up or collapse.

Totally agreed. Cole was badly beaten

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    100% obstruction. Not to be a sook (I really do like that word), Ainley sees Henshaw coming up to make the tackle and jumps in front of him to block his path to Naholo. It's as clear as day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zZ6VM6yyzk&t=1m9s

Don't think Henshaw was going to make the tackle, but it was obstruction and clearly deliberate. Highlanders could not have objected if that was whistled as a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Not a good result obviously but the starting team for the big games is starting to shape itself. This looked like a second team on paper and this result only builds on that idea. Other than Warburton, Stander, Henshaw, Joseph and Webb, none of which are nailed on starters either, the team looked like definite backup players.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Don't think Henshaw was going to make the tackle, but it was obstruction and clearly deliberate. Highlanders could not have objected if that was whistled as a penalty.

Why wouldn't he make the tackle?

Why wouldn't he make the tackle?

I don't think he was massively impeded despite the clear intention to do so and I don't think he would have managed the tackle regardless. It's entirely supposition though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I thought he wouldn't make the tackle too until I saw the replay. He absolutely would've got hands to him, he had to run into another channel cuz of the block. Can't believe it wasn't looked at.

.ak wrote: »
    I thought he wouldn't make the tackle too until I saw the replay. He absolutely would've got hands to him, he had to run into another channel cuz of the block. Can't believe it wasn't looked at.

I'm still not sure.

I also think there is a slight distinction between where the Highlander player was running his line and where the deliberately moved to block Henshaw (which he clearly did). Either way he was partly blocking Henshaw's line but I think it would have been harsh to blow it without the step into his path.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

To be honest, Podge, the only way he doesn't at least get hands on Naholo is if he falls before he gets there. He's running straight at him and Naholo takes the ball stationary.

Even with the block, he comes within about a yard of him.

EDIT: Just on the above, Ainley's original position wasn't blocking Henshaw. He was standing still and takes a big sidestep across to get to Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

Game was well won I guess. Though the fact they were on the bench means they weren't exactly unlikely to get on the pitch.

Ah I get you now, sorry, see what you mean.

And as for Cole, he consistently scrums illegally and gets away with it a lot of the time IMO, a bit like Kilcoyne.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

To be honest, Podge, the only way he doesn't at least get hands on Naholo is if he falls before he gets there. He's running straight at him and Naholo takes the ball stationary.

Yes, an obvious block and normally a clear pen, bad miss by the officials.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement

EDIT: Just on the above, Ainley's original position wasn't blocking Henshaw. He was standing still and takes a big sidestep across to get to Henshaw.

Okay, I've looked back on it and you're actually right. I thought when I first saw it that he was forcing Henshaw to arc anyway (legally) but then stepped into his line further. Camera angles play funny tricks - missed some of the replays while pretending to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Ludikrus

Mebuntu wrote: »
    The Lions were well set and reasonably comfortable to win this game at 22-13 following Warburton's try and Biggar's conversion.

Unfortunately and crucially for what happened next, Jared Payne then (unchallenged) immediately dropped the restart (as easy a ball to catch as can be) right in front of his posts. Coming so quickly after conceding that gave the Highlanders all the momentum they needed at that juncture and a try followed within 6/7 minutes.

There were plenty of mistakes by others but, for me, that was the one that really counted against the Lions today.

Spot on. And this is the incident Gatland was referring to afterwards when he was asked about where the game turned and mentioned players who were "normally safe under a high ball". Payne has had a few of those this year. I remember a couple against England in the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Love to get a bit of NZ perspective on the game.  According to the NZ Herald, the two worst players on the pitch were Stander and Henderson, both getting 5 ratings.  Its amazing what scoring a try does for perception too, if Warburton or JJ didnt get theirs, they would have been slated by all for a poor performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

stephen_n wrote: »
    What would that be?

A Welsh accent

I do think Webb offers something Murray doesn't have, which is a little bit more pace and a bit more of a threat on the fringes. But the rest of Murray's game surely makes him a likely starter.

I was really impressed by Webb at times this morning. He could be a great replacement, especially if we need someone to come in and push the tempo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

kilns wrote: »
    Love to get a bit of NZ perspective on the game.  According to the NZ Herald, the two worst players on the pitch were Stander and Henderson, both getting 5 ratings.  Its amazing what scoring a try does for perception too, if Warburton or JJ didnt get theirs, they would have been slated by all for a poor performance

Just read those ratings. What a lot of bs. JJ gets an 8 and has shoulders of steel in defence?!? WTF!
    Warburton was alright (better than Haskell) but not great.
    Stander stood out more as the game went on but he is quite one dimensional.
    Fair rating for Henderson I think. I know I'm going to get vilified on here for saying this but I don't think Henderson is living up to his potential. He can do great things but also stupid, lazy things. Often in the same game. He should be the Irish answer to Itoje but he just isn't at the level consistently.
    The author was too lazy to rate the Lions front row replacements

The New Zealand Herald is the worst herald since the Evening one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Stander stood out more as the game went on but he is quite one dimensional.

I find Stander frustrating. He has it all but limits himself with his style. I believe he has the hands to play a more linked up style when there's an opportunity but his mindset is just to run straight at the nearest defender when he gets the ball. He's bloody good at getting over the gain line but there's times when the ball has to go. Two such occasions today when there was a real line break on the cards and he sought contact.

The set play that led to JJ's try showed that he can move the ball and do so well but he needs to do it in open play and that's where Faletau has a significant advantage over him.

I still reckon he might get the 20 jersey given the amount of impact and physicality he can bring but the sort of pass that POM gave on Saturday on the blindside in tight space is something that has to have POM in the team ahead of him, for me.

It was at least a 5 on 2 overlap when Stander ran straight into the defender in front of him. He must have had momentary blindness, it'd be the only acceptable excuse. If the Lions ever gave a kiwi side that kind of overlap it'd be 5 points on the board.

It was at least a 5 on 2 overlap when Stander ran straight into the defender in front of him. He must have had momentary blindness, it'd be the only acceptable excuse. If the Lions ever gave a kiwi side that kind of overlap it'd be 5 points on the board.

I think it was closer to 4 on 2 and near enough the touchline. It was still pretty bad. Losing the ball to a penalty for holding on when you have that much support is pretty bad also.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,555 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think Stander is in contention for the tests any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I think it was closer to 4 on 2 and near enough the touchline. It was still pretty bad. Losing the ball to a penalty for holding on when you have that much support is pretty bad also.
    The clear out from Henshaw and Lawes(?) was pretty weak

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's great how quick the official high lights are put up, it helps keep people interested too. If you had to wait a few days to see them you'd just not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Erik Shin wrote: »
    A Welsh accent

So should Rhys Ruddock be sitting by the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The Lions vs Highlanders in a series of rhetorical Qs
    • What has happened to Dan Biggar's macarena?
    • Has Sam Warburton done enough?
    • Did Jared Payne really grow up playing rugby in NZ?
    • Will Jackson Hemopo wear black one day?
    • Could Ulster do worse than offer Luke Whitelock a contract?
    • Who kicked the ball more in open play?
    • How dominant was the Lions scrum? :D
    • Did Iain Henderson actually play? And what about Jack Nowell?
    • Is Marty Banks still heading to Treviso?
    • Malakai Fekitoa is a bit wooden on attack, isn't he?
    • Why does CJ Stander always avoid contact?
    • Did this game have more than a passing resemblance to Super Rugby?
    • Should all news stadiums be covered? Or do we like rain & mud sometimes?
    • Is the tour still on track?

kilns wrote: »

IMHO, the best Lions players were probably Webb & Joseph. The Irish Lions generally had poor games: Henderson and poor old Henshaw were anonymous, Payne had the dropsies, Best was OK, Stander was well-contained, McGrath was OKish in limited time.

The best Highlanders were Luke Whitelock and the lock I had never seen play before Jackson Hemopo. Naholo & Li were a constant threat, and Marty Banks was nice and calm.

The Highlanders played like I expected the Crusaders would, but this was a poorer Lions team and a better Highlanders effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thought Best and Hendo had good games. Both coming up with big plays at pivotal times, Hendo finally used his size and bullied a lot of people at the breakdown and carried well.

.ak wrote: »
    Thought Best and Hendo had good games. Both coming up with big plays at pivotal times, Hendo finally used his size and bullied a lot of people at the breakdown and carried well.

It's weird. You are not alone in saying Henderson was a standout for the Lions.

My optometrist appt is at 10 tomorrow in case you were wondering.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    It's weird. You are not alone in saying Henderson was a standout for the Lions.

My optometrist appt is at 10 tomorrow in case you were wondering.

He mixed the quite good with the very poor. I thought he showed enough to put himself in contention, but only if Lawes is out.

Advertisement