Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl sectioned after psychiatrist ruled out abortion

Options
  • 12-06-2017 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

This story has really upset me today. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/girl-sectioned-after-psychiatrist-ruled-out-abortion-1.3116111. I’m 8 months pregnant and despite having had a relatively ‘easy’ pregnancy with no complications, I know that to go through with a pregnancy, you really need to want it.

Where is the sense in trying to make this young girl continue with her pregnancy when she is clearly distraught about it? And then to have her sectioned? What kind of barbaric country is this? I don’t know what happened to her once she was no longer detained, but I would assume she probably went to England to have an abortion (she clearly had the support of her mother).

So what did we achieve here? Just a possibly delayed abortion and a very distraught young girl.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It really is like something straight out of the 1940's.

No WOMAN should have to carry a child when she doesn't want to, never mind a child herself.

Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is it normal procedure to section people who are feeling suicidal? I've read so many stories of people presenting at hospital saying they feel suicidal and been sent on their way so why was this different. Its odd she and her mother were under the impression she was being given the abortion too, was it not communicated to them that this would not be happening? Does pregnancy make it more likely that a woman will be sectioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

xzanti wrote:
    No WOMAN should have to carry a child when she doesn't want to, never mind a child herself.

No WOMAN should be allowed murder a child if she wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Poor girl. This is completely inhumane. Give her equal rights FFS.

I assume the people who usually go with "Well the judge heard all the facts so they know best" will do the same in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

* Gets popcorn * :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Girl's doctor said she was at risk of suicide due to pregnancy but termination was "not the solution"
    Can we please get professionals that stop mixing politics and their opinions in with their treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

eviltwin wrote: »
    Is it normal procedure to section people who are feeling suicidal? I've read so many stories of people presenting at hospital saying they feel suicidal and been sent on their way so why was this different. Its odd she and her mother were under the impression she was being given the abortion too, was it not communicated to them that this would not be happening? Does pregnancy make it more likely that a woman will be sectioned?

I don't know - its so strange. Sure we saw only recently that a 47 year old woman who presented to a psychiatric ward in Galway was told to go home and overdose and that she might be admitted then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Why didn't she just go across the pond ?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Why didn't she just go across the pond ?

I'd say she did in the end. But possibly presumed that under current legislation she would be 'granted' an abortion here. Both her and her mother were under the impression that they were going to Dublin for that very reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

While I am fully pro-choice, it doesn't say the age of the person in question ... but the article refers to her as a "young girl" and a "child".

I can kind of see why a pregnant and vulnerable/unstable young girl would be sectioned in those circumstances until some sort of plan was put in place.

And it was only for a few days - it's not like it was for the duration of the pregnancy; the article doesn't say that she didn't go on to get an abortion (if that's what she decided in the end.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

If abortion is murder then doesn't that make a miscarriage manslaughter? After all, if you believe the foetus in the womb deserves the same rights as a child outside of it then surely you should be getting the placards out for the women who neglected their child to death while they were in the womb.

Even if you didn't want to push for manslaughter charges you should still believe that at the very least its child neglect. But something tells me that issue would be far to complex and harrowing to even try and debate.

I've mentioned this argument to pro life people before and I still haven't gotten a straight answer, most boil it down to "individual cases and not a one size fits all solution." Which is laughable considering that's exactly what they want when it comes to abortion itself....

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    If abortion is murder then doesn't that make a miscarriage manslaughter? After all, if you believe the foetus in the womb deserves the same rights as a child outside of it then surely you should be getting the placards out for the women who neglected their child to death while they were in the womb.

Errr what? Miscarriages occur as a result of neglect now?
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It was a foetus, not a child.

Jamiekelly wrote:

Jamiekelly wrote:
    Even if you didn't want to push for manslaughter charges you should still believe that at the very least its child neglect. But something tells me that issue would be far to complex and harrowing to even try and debate.

Jamiekelly wrote:
    I've mentioned this argument to pro life people before and I still haven't gotten a straight answer, most boil it down to "individual cases and not a one size fits all solution." Which is laughable considering that's exactly what they want when it comes to abortion itself....

That's the worst argument I've heard yet on this issue.

The fact you think miscarriage is due to neglect shows you have no business even debating this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Jesus if this is an argument for the pro side I will never be pro life.

What a disgusting insensitive comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If abortion is legislated for and then performed under those conditions it is not murder!

Murder is the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I can kind of see why a pregnant and vulnerable/unstable young girl would be sectioned in those circumstances until some sort of plan was put in place.

What, in case she changes her mind?

She was depressed/suicidal because of her pregnancy, according to the article and the first psychiatrist. As per the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act, an abortion can be carried out, it seems like the girl and her mother wanted this. Why was this ignored and instead the girl detained?

Would you like to be detained in a mental health ward, even "only for a few days"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've a sibling who presented suicidal. Ended up admitted to a psych ward but they wouldn't section her. Refused to keep her unless she voluntarily admitted. Despite multiple attempts over the years she has never been sectioned.

This seems insane to me considering that. So if my sibling had been pregnant they'd have sectioned her instead of sending her home for the family to try and mind?

Edit: as for the miscarriage stuff? I had a miscarriage two months ago. You have no idea wtf you are talking about to compare it to an abortion? I was and still am devastated to have lost my baby and it wasn't my bloody fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

OK. Everyone with a torch or pitchfork put it down and stfu.

Kid was ruled mentally unwell. This is not the time to do any surgery, be it a nose job, a ''gender reassignment'' or an abortion.

You put a person with psych issues in a psych care ward ... Then when they're feeling a little calmer you ask them what they want.

You may find their new, post-naughty step opinion can differ slightly to their earlier, sometimes rather more dramatic, wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

If abortion is legislated for and then performed under those conditions it is not murder!

Murder is the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

In this jurisdiction, fetuses are not granted the status of "personhood" anyway - so even now it doesn't constitute "murdering a child" or whatever other hyperbole is used to make abortions (and the vast majority are taking about early stage abortion) sound akin to sticking an axe in the skull of a toddler...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

greencap wrote: »
    Kid was ruled mentally unwell. This is not the time to do any surgery, be it a nose job, a ''gender reassignment'' or an abortion.

You put a person with psych issues in a psych care ward ... Then when they're feeling a little calmer you ask them what they want.

The Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act disagrees with you. If there's a risk to life due to suicide you don't stick them in a padded room and hope they perk up.

Pelvis wrote: »
    What, in case she changes her mind?

She was depressed/suicidal because of her pregnancy, according to the article and the first psychiatrist. As per the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act, an abortion can be carried out, it seems like the girl and her mother wanted this. Why was this ignored and instead the girl detained?

Would you like to be detained in a mental health ward, even "only for a few days"?

I have been, more than once. While I didn't agree with it in the time, in hindsight I can see the reasoning behind it. The medical staff involved certainly didn't do it for their own good!

She was depressed/suicidal because of her pregnancy. If they let her go, there and then, she'd still have been depressed and suicidal and pregnant. With no immediate way of ending the pregnancy. But with every means and opportunity of ending her own life.

Can't you just see the headlines - "Depressed pregnant teenager commits suicide after being discharged from psychiatric unit" ... everyone would be up in arms at the fact that she wasn't kept there, to at least attempt to give her some help within the confines of Irish law.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the psychiatrist in question probably made the most responsible decision she could given the circumstances.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

greencap wrote: »
    OK. Everyone with a torch or pitchfork put it down and stfu.

You may find their new, post-naughty step opinion can differ slightly to their earlier, sometimes rather more dramatic, wishes.

So why put a provision for pregnant women who are suicidal that want an abortion?

Is there not something wrong with how abortion is handled in Ireland where a woman has to be suicidal to be considered for access to abortion only to be detained until she 'calms down'?

Women shouldn't have to become suicidal before abortion is a possibility.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Miscarriages have nothing to do with neglecting the health of your baby. What an appallingly insulting and hurtful thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I can understand the refusal to allow the abortion. The issue here isn't really about abortion imo, its about her being sectioned and why that happened and if this is now something that any women looking for abortion on suicide grounds might have happen to them.

It says she was angry because she was under the impression she had arrived in dublin to have the abortion. Who told her and her mother that was the case? Why were they travelling to dublin if there was no chance of the abortion happening? Obviously she was angry and upset at this but is that reason enough to section someone?

She was not allowed the abortion because she was not ruled to be suicidal.....why then was she sectioned?

Something really crooked about this entire thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,735 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What a typically 'Irish' story.

Just adds to the fuel powering my intention to leave this country ASAP and to take my daughter to a more sane country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

The fact you think miscarriage is due to neglect shows you have no business even debating this.

Well done, you have just proven my point.

The entire argument for pro life is that the right of the foetus to live is the same right to life that everyone has under law. Is it not?

Whether you mean to take someone's life is the defining principle between murder and manslaughter. If abortion is murder because the pregnant woman wants the child to die then miscarriage is manslaughter by the same definition.

You never even tried to debate against the argument, which proves why your "right to life" view falls down under the most basic of scrutiny.

I have no business even debating this? From your reply it looks like you don't want to debate it to begin with....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,735 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

eviltwin wrote: »
    I can understand the refusal to allow the abortion. The issue here isn't really about abortion imo, its about her being sectioned and why that happened and if this is now something that any women looking for abortion on suicide grounds might have happen to them.

It says she was angry because she was under the impression she had arrived in dublin to have the abortion. Who told her and her mother that was the case? Why were they travelling to dublin if there was no chance of the abortion happening? Obviously she was angry and upset at this but is that reason enough to section someone?

She was not allowed the abortion because she was not ruled to be suicidal.....why then was she sectioned?

Something really crooked about this entire thing.

This is an abortion issue, it was a health practitioners own twisted moral compass that was behind them sectioning someone in order to prevent an abortion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement