Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men or Women, who has a harder life?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

If a man absolutely messes up his life that's it. He'll be a manual labourer living in digs with a hotplate until he dies of heart disease at 50.

A woman can just glom onto some pathetic farmer and chill out as a housewife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Glenster wrote: »
    If a man absolutely messes up his life that's it. He'll be a manual labourer living in digs with a hotplate until he dies of heart disease at 50.

A woman can just glom onto some pathetic farmer and chill out as a housewife.

lol. Farmer's wives are the most hardworking of all. The day never ends for those women. But yeah, some women can certainly be bone idle if they find some eejit willing to support them lolling about looking pretty.

Likewise, the lazy man can fart about on the dole, have a few scoops down the pub, watch TV, play his playstation, and live off his mammy's cooking services for all his days.

Neither gender has an inherently harder life in the west. Individual circumstances apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

January wrote: »
    Women.

On periods and childbirth alone, let's not get into the inequalities in the workplace etc.

Women have it harder.
    I have encountered ZERO discrimination in the workplace against women, this is simply some media myth.
    There is massive discrimination against men in the workplace, for example you always get the bimbo who has sex with a male manager to get promoted ahead of qualified men.  I have seen this loads of times.

• Advertisement

tiger55 wrote: »
    I have encountered ZERO discrimination in the workplace against women, this is simply some media myth.
    There is massive discrimination against men in the workplace, for example you always get the bimbo who has sex with a male manager to get promoted ahead of qualified men. I have seen this loads of times.

I thought that too when I was a child.

It was only when I entered the workplace at 22 that I actually saw real discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

There is massive discrimination against men in the workplace, for example you always get the bimbo who has sex with a male manager to get promoted ahead of qualified men.  I have seen this loads of times.

Jesus that's awful that the only way the women you've worked with could get a promotion was to sleep with the boss. Loads of times you say?Terrible.

Funny what a change in perspective can do.

That's because women don't understand how statistics work because they're too busy with their periods. Women! Know your place!

I actually think the confusion comes from how the Women's Council presented the information. IIRC, rather than saying that women earn 17% more than men before childbirth, they said the gender pay gap between men and women was -17% which was obviously very easily misread as this article attests.
    I have never seen a woman getting paid less, and i have worked in dozens of companies.  They easily fake the stats.

It was only when I entered the workplace at 22 that I actually saw real discrimination.

It happens all the time, seen it first hand.  When do you ever see a female boss dating the guy on the shopfloor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Even then, you'd need access to every HR system and personal knowledge of each person.

Outside of union controlled environments where people are paid for length of service rather than performance or perhaps for some very, very tightly defined roles, it's extremely difficult to determine whether any two people are being paid equitably imo. You could have two employees with identical qualifications and lengths of service that bring wildly different levels of value to their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

....... wrote: »

Ha..exactly..and presumably you have to sleep with the eejit.

Honestly though, people understimate how trying it is to have to sit around drinking gin and painting ones nails all day ;) A woman's work is never done!

Jesus that's awful that the only way the women you've worked with could get a promotion was to sleep with the boss. Loads of times you say?Terrible.

Funny what a change in perspective can do.

Yes. As much of a reflection on the male bosses imo. Not only unfair to the female employee in question but the others the boss is probably choosing to pass over in favour of getting a ride. And indicative of a problem, if a woman has to whore herself to be promoted!

Here is an interesting video about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Based on your survey of one

By the time i was 22 I had worked all over the world, and had about 12 jobs on and off.  So, yes i know what i am talking about.

It happens all the time, seen it first hand. When do you ever see a female boss dating the guy on the shopfloor?

Doesn't that just mean that women aren't predators?

By the time i was 22 I had worked all over the world, and had about 12 jobs on and off. So, yes i know what i am talking about.

Maybe we have different experiences.

I'm a professional and I see sexism all the time in the workplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

medals, medals for everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Doesn't that just mean that women aren't predators?
    Wut? Eh so, a man going out with any women in the workplace that's below his level in the company hierarchy is automatically a predator? That's an utterly moronic statement.

Women would rarely enough date "down" compared to men and this has been the case in pretty much every society and throughout time for all sorts of reasons(inc gender inequality). Sod all to do with "predators". :rolleyes:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

My conclusion after not reading the thread at all-

The population of boards is represented by 59% men and 41% women.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Wut? Eh so, a man going out with any women in the workplace that's below his level in the company hierarchy is automatically a predator? That's an utterly moronic statement.

Women would rarely enough date "down" compared to men and this has been the case in pretty much every society and throughout time for all sorts of reasons(inc gender inequality). Sod all to do with "predators". :rolleyes:

I don't think it is.

That's why there are rules.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't think it is.
    You can think it is all you like, it is still an utterly retarded statement to state that any man going out with a women in the workplace that's below him in the hierarchy is a predator.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Christian Troy

Women are nearly twice as likely to get dementia. If you don't have to justify your existence, you won't be challenged so you're more likely to get dementia!

I'm almost certain they advise doing cryptic crosswords and learning a new skill to ward of Dementia, not having to justify your existence. But sure no point doing things by halves

no point doing things by halves
    I googled that saying and still do not understand what it means!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

I googled that saying and still do not understand what it means!

good for you, at least now you know you won't get dementia

koumi wrote: »
    good for you, at least now you know you won't get dementia
    I'm 90 actually. Why don't you explain it instead of gloating.

I'm 90 actually. Why don't you explain it instead of gloating.

It means doing things unenthusiastically, by ''half measures'', or making a half-hearted effort at something.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    Until Ireland gives women the right to bodily automony then I have to say women have to harder.
    And what would the obvious counter argument to that be?

That's it's the child's body, not the woman's!

Advertisement