Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Wood Club - Cancel membership

Options
  • 10-06-2017 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just wondering if anyone has recently cancelled a West Wood membership? I joined 3 weeks ago. It's not that I dont like the gym but we're moving to another part of Ireland and can't of course use the gym. Yeah, it was the worst timing ever.

I rang Leopardstown and the manager (male) said there was nothing he could do because I signed a 12 month contract. He said I could freeze my membership for 3 months but would have to pay for the year. Terms & conditions I never read them and they don't send them via email or anything. I'm taking that the non-payment would have them ringing and sending letters, which I won't be reading since I'm moving (haha)

I might cancel the Direct Debit with my bank. What a terrible way of maintaining members, if I ever move back to Dublin I won't be joining WW ever again. They could just let it go.

Anyone there who cancelled with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Cancel with bank best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 QueenKia29

TallGlass wrote: »
    Cancel with bank best option.

Do they take people to court? That would be very expensive for them, I would say, to take to court everyone who cancels with then like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

QueenKia29 wrote: »
    Do they take people to court? That would be very expensive for them, I would say, to take to court everyone who cancels with then like that?

They're awful bloodsuckers. Constantly getting junk mail from them badgering you to pay expensive membership fees and join up. **** it, cancel with the bank and move on, ignore them.

They wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Not taking sides one way or the other, but you did sign a 12 month contract.

Were you not aware you were going to be obliged to pay for it when you signed?

On the other hand, in my experience, people who renege on their contracts by stopping the direct debit with WW are rarely pursued through the courts. Not to say it never happens, but...

• Advertisement

JayRoc wrote: »
    Not taking sides one way or the other, but you did sign a 12 month contract.

Were you not aware you were going to be obliged to pay for it when you signed?

On the other hand, in my experience, people who renege on their contracts by stopping the direct debit with WW are rarely pursued through the courts. Not to say it never happens, but...

I knew I was signing up for 12 months and it was ok. 3 weeks ago I was going to stay in Dublin and pay for 12 months. Life took a sudden turn. I mean, stuff you're not counting on happens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Maybe you could get someone else to take it over? Do they transfer

bluewolf wrote: »
    Maybe you could get someone else to take it over? Do they transfer

They do. I can transfer my membership, if anyone interested let me know. Prices are 57€ for off-peak (what I signed up for) but you can of course upgrade to full membership (€79).

They do. I can transfer my membership, if anyone interested let me know. Prices are 57€ for off-peak (what I signed up for) but you can of course upgrade to full membership (€79).

In fairness, sorry. With Flye opening in Drumcondra it's gonna drop them prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

How would they contact you to take you to court without having your address... ;)

• Advertisement

How would they contact you to take you to court without having your address... ;)

True! But if they really wanted to do it,they have my bank details, it wouldn't be too hard. But I'm guessing they won't go that far.

TallGlass wrote: »
    In fairness, sorry. With Flye opening in Drumcondra it's gonna drop them prices.

Not sure it will have much influence. I've been going to WW in Leopardstown, it doesn't really help me that other gyms are opening in Drumcondra, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

What a terrible way of maintaining members, if I ever move back to Dublin I won't be joining WW ever again. They could just let it go.

Anyone there who cancelled with them?

What a terrible way to behave as a customer :rolleyes:

They could just let it go.

Or you could just accept that you made a mistake, chalk it up as a life lesson and honour the agreement you entered into.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

gabgab wrote: »

Or you could just accept that you made a mistake, chalk it up as a life lesson and honour the agreement you entered into.

Normally, I might agree (to some degree) but the OP has to move for work. Not because they mistakenly took out a membership that they no longer want

Normally, I might agree (to some degree) but the OP has to move for work. Not because they mistakenly took out a membership that they no longer want

If it was your responsibility to manage this issue as the WW rep how would you differentiate between the two different scenarios you have mentioned?

If it was your responsibility to manage this issue as the WW rep how would you differentiate between the two different scenarios you have mentioned?

Your response was a little unfair. You're not a WW rep who has to decide how to deal with it.

Ok, went for legal advice. At the moment, I don't know what agreement I entered into, when you sign a contract both parts have to have copies of the clauses you signed for and WW denies giving you a copy of the contract. This is not valid. Who's not honouring what now?

Plus, paying for a whole year without attending sounds just lovely, I wonder how many times you've done it?

Your response was a little unfair. You're not a WW rep who has to decide how to deal with it.

I think refusing to pay a bill, that you agreed to pay under no duress, is a incredibly unfair thing to do.

You don't?

I think refusing to pay a bill, that you agreed to pay under no duress, is a incredibly unfair thing to do.

You don't?

Are you seriously comparing a gym fee to a bill? A bill is to pay for something you already used. I'm not going to use to the gym.

Ok, went for legal advice. At the moment, I don't know what agreement I entered into, when you sign a contract both parts have to have copies of the clauses you signed for and WW denies giving you a copy of the contract. This is not valid. Who's not honouring what now?

Plus, paying for a whole year without attending sounds just lovely, I wonder how many times you've done it?

They (WW) deny giving you a copy? Sounds odd.

You don't have to pay for a whole year and not attend. You can transfer it somebody else can't you?

I did it once. I would also do it again or make sure that the contract had an option to buy it out at a percentage of the remaining balance if I was unsure I would be around.

• Advertisement

The deny giving you a copy? Sounds odd.

You don't have to pay for a whole year and not attend. You can transfer it somebody else can't you?

I did it once. I would also do it again or make sure that the contract had an option to buy it out at a percentage of the remaining balance if I was unsure I would be around.

It sounds odd but it is true. And to be fair, I've seen more complaints regarding that exact issue.

Yes, I can transfer the membership, I don't mind doing so, if you know someone who's interested let me know. The person who takes over doesn't have to pay for the joining fee, so that would be a win-win.

You don't?

If you read back, i said I might normally agree with you but not given the OP's situation.

You seem to think the OP made a mistake or is taking the p*ss as regards their membership. They're moving so will be unable to use the gym for the year.

I'm not inclined to think the OP is being incredibly unfair here. They wanted to come to am arrangement with WW in the first instance.

If you read back, i said I might normally agree with you but not given the OP's situation.

You seem to think the OP made a mistake or is taking the p*ss as regards their membership. They're moving so will be unable to use the gym for the year.

I'm not inclined to think the OP is being incredibly unfair here. They wanted to come to am arrangement with WW in the first instance.

Yes, thank you. As I said, I like the gym. I'm not having the most incredible experience with management but I do like the classes and the facilities and all. Just wish they could be a little more human sometimes and let go of the money mindset for a little bit.

And I asked you how you would manage that situation if it was your responsibility......??

Can you imagine the long, winding and incredibly tall tales people get into to try and avoid paying bills.......

There are options to freeze it for three months, during that time the OP can sell/pass her membership onto somebody else.

And I asked you how you would manage that situation if it was your responsibility......??

Can you imagine the long, winding and incredibly tall tales people get into to try and avoid paying bills.......

There are options to freeze it for three months, during that time the OP can sell/pass her membership onto somebody else.

Yes there are options. Wasn't my point though. My point was that you were aware of the facts and decided to say that the OP was trying to get out of paying for their 'mistake'.

They weren't. You're not a WW rep so you don't have to position yourself as one and dismiss what the OP said.

Yes, thank you. As I said, I like the gym. I'm not having the most incredible experience with management but I do like the classes and the facilities and all. Just wish they could be a little more human sometimes and let go of the money mindset for a little bit.

They're looking to do what is in their best interests.
    You're looking to do what is in your best interests.

What else would you like them to do for you?

Yes there are options. Wasn't my point though. My point was that you were aware of the facts and decided to say that the OP was trying to get out of paying for their 'mistake'.

They weren't. You're not a WW rep so you don't have to position yourself as one and dismiss what the OP said.

What would you call signing a contract for a service for 12 months that you cannot use? A booboo?

The OP has made a mistake, an error in judgement whatever you want to call it but the error is not on the companies part.

I'm also not dismissing anything, I am just giving a different perspective. I have a lot of sympathy for the OP but feelings and facts are very different things.

What would you call signing a contract for a service for 12 months that you cannot use? A booboo?

The OP has made a mistake, an error in judgement whatever you want to call it but the error is not on the companies part.

I'm also not dismissing anything, I am just giving a different perspective. I have a lot of sympathy for the OP but feelings and facts are very different things.

How did the OP make a mistake?

Seriously, this is not a bill, it's not even comparable. I can freeze but still, there is a monthly fee to freeze it. And then if no-one wants to take over it's the same problem all over again.

• Advertisement

Your sympathy astonishes me :)

I did not make a mistake, did you read the post? Please do. I don't want to cancel just because. I'm moving to the other side of the country and I obviously didn't know that 3 weeks ago. I thought I explained it pretty well the first time.

Advertisement