Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought phone off donedeal

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

coylemj wrote: »
    Every single scam that I've read about on boards where people attempted to report it to the Gardai, they met a brick wall - civil case, see a lawyer, PFO, not our problem, couldn't be bothered.

I don't believe for one second that the person who called you was a cop.

The Guitar buyer was probably related to the Gardai or even one themselves. The Gardai can investigate but most of the times won't be bothered.

A friend of mine once hit a parked car and left a note with his contact details to contact him etc. to pay for the damage which was very minor and would have cost about €200 to repair the junkbox he hit.

Two months later the guards arrive to his door threatening to charge him with fleeing the scene of the accident, hit and run type scenario, claiming they tracked him on CCTV (BS). He admitted that he did it but had left a note and made every effort to trace the owner and wasn't denying his responsibility as he hit whilst trying to turn with a jeep and trailer after another car illegally parked effectively locking him in. Anyway the Guard told him to pay the car owner €700 the following afternoon to pay for the damage (3x times value) or he'd be charging him and taking him to court.

Anyway my friend approached the lady with the wad of cash as he didn't want the trouble and wanted her just to give him a note of receipt of the money. Then she called her garda friend again and my friend was told that if he didn't give her the money he'd be charged and of course like an idiot her paid her and nothing happened.

The young lady who owned the car he hit was going out with a guard and whilst her BF was not involved he got his garda mates to effectively extort my friend for around 3 times the value of the damage he inflicted. I still think the biggest mistake he made was that he didn't report the incident himself to the guards and ask them to trace the car owner. Either way if it was me I'd have lawyered up and brought the Garda ombudsman into it. I'd fight it tooth and nail before getting extorted for €700 even if it cost me €7,000 I'd defeat that sort of corruption no matter the cost.

Advertisement