Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought phone off donedeal

Options
  • 10-06-2017 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Bought and paid for a phone on donedeal 2 weeks ago and lodged the money into sellers account, seller said he posted the next day through normal post but I've not received anything, what are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Doesn't really tell me much when it comes to postage or non delivery, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I read that above link and it basically says there are no options. Why was normal post used, is it a €20 phone?

I'd be interested myself. I've bought a few things over time from adverts and when you don't actually meet in person there is always good will and a bit of risk involved. Never had any issues, but often thought what if they don't send the thing. Anything more than €50 I'd insist on registered post though.

Phone was valued at about €70 and I paid the €70 asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

What's to stop him posting on boards and saying that you got the phone and now claiming you never received it and are only looking for your money back!

Anyway... u have his bank details etc. So you have some evidence to track him. However gonna be hard to claim off him.

Phone could have 'gone astray' in postal system.

Did u ask him to register it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Never pay money before you sight the goods in an exchange like this.
    Done deal, adverts etc are notorious for scams.
    Many cases go a step worse where the seller sends a brick by registered post so it looks like they've completed their end of the bargain.
    Did you lodge the money directly into his account or did you send it via bank transfer from your own?
    There may be some hope of getting it back if it's the latter - contact your bank.
    I'd be inclined to report this theft to an garda siochana (probably nothing will come out of it) but this seller may have a history of similar. Did they offer any kind of proof of postage?

Money was lodged in via lodgement machine in bank, seller says they have receipt for postage but I've not seen it yet

Its gone. Use registered post next time. The seller then either has proof or he has not. And if they have proof and its 'lost' in the post you're insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Receipt of postage AND registered post are 2 different things!!

The former won't hold up with a claim against the Post Office

Surely a receipt isn't good enough or would it have any tracking details on it at all

• Advertisement

A receipt is only any good if registered post was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Bought and paid for a phone on donedeal 2 weeks ago and lodged the money into sellers account, seller said he posted the next day through normal post but I've not received anything, what are my options?

That sounds scary op, I'd never buy like that from done deal as unfortunately there's little you can do , as the platform doesn't guarantee the sale.
    Also you have no way to be sure people are genuine.
    Remember it's a tenner for a sim, use as contact for sale and bin after,, that's how a lot of the scams work.

Maybe if you paid over card try a charge back.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You can't do a charge back, or pay over card on a private transaction.

He used a lodgement machine, so he has absolutely zero comeback.

Live and learn, and all that.

Pay for registered post next time, or Parcel motel is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭lau1247

assuming it is Anpost, according to the postage calculator tool. Even standard parcel posting include track and trace code.

Example link that I tried.

I would strongly insist on getting a snap of the receipt to at least make a complaint with Anpost if it was lost in the post. Otherwise you were shafted by the seller.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

lau1247 wrote: »
    assuming it is Anpost, according to the postage calculator tool. Even standard parcel posting include track and trace code.

Example link that I tried.

I would strongly insist on getting a snap of the receipt to at least make a complaint with Anpost if it was lost in the post. Otherwise you were shafted by the seller.

A mobile phone would not classify as a parcel.

Large envelope or at best small packet.

As for op, its quite rare for items to go missing in post. My guess is it wasn't posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭893bet

RossieMan wrote: »
    You can't do a charge back, or pay over card on a private transaction.

He used a lodgement machine, so he has absolutely zero comeback.

Live and learn, and all that.

Pay for registered post next time, or Parcel motel is even better.

If you look at the exclusions from parcelmotel you would struggle to claim for anything! Everything is excluded!

It doesn't get lost with PM though.

Also an post won't take mobile phones with batterys, so you've no chance claiming for one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lau1247 wrote: »

An Post have no contract with the OP so they can't complain to An Post, the only person An Post have a contract with is the seller.

RossieMan wrote: »
    It doesn't get lost with PM though.

Also an post won't take mobile phones with batterys, so you've no chance claiming for one there.

They can't take mobile phones, or any Li Ion battery, for international post due to air transport restrictions. Internal Irish post is OK.

Ah fair enough, didn't actually know that. Buy it does make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

OP, is the seller still in contact with you?
    There may be a genuine mistake somewhere. I had a similar problem just over a year ago with a laptop from Adverts. Seller was just a bit slow to reply and post, and eventually when she did mail it to me her handwriting made my address look incorrect (luckily the postman knew).
    If the seller is still responding to you, then things may still be okay.

Did contact me up until a couple of days ago, said he contacted an post and I said waiting so I live in hope, if not it's a lesson learned, at least it's not an overly expensive loss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I sold a guitar on donedeal a while back and because yer man didn't receive it within 2 days I had a call from the Guards. I supplied the tracking number etc that I'd already given to the muppet buyer and all was well but the cops do take it seriously anyway. Similar value fwiw

I sold a guitar on donedeal a while back and because yer man didn't receive it within 2 days I had a call from the Guards. I supplied the tracking number etc that I'd already given to the muppet buyer and all was well but the cops do take it seriously anyway. Similar value fwiw

Good to know

How sure where you that it was a Garda and if it was its not unknown for them to behave in illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

The problem on done deal is that if a person running a scam uses a throwaway sim the number you give the guards is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did you lodge the money directly into his account or did you send it via bank transfer from your own?
    There may be some hope of getting it back if it's the latter - contact your bank.

Like..... the bank will yank the money back out of yer man's account and give it back to you?

Dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Every single scam that I've read about on boards where people attempted to report it to the Gardai, they met a brick wall - civil case, see a lawyer, PFO, not our problem, couldn't be bothered.

I don't believe for one second that the person who called you was a cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jcd5971 wrote: »
    The problem on done deal is that if a person running a scam uses a throwaway sim the number you give the guards is irrelevant.

Depends on how bothered the Gardai are. If a scammer is big time and uses burner sims but the same handset then its very easily trackable with the assistance of the judiciary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

coylemj wrote: »
    Every single scam that I've read about on boards where people attempted to report it to the Gardai, they met a brick wall - civil case, see a lawyer, PFO, not our problem, couldn't be bothered.

I don't believe for one second that the person who called you was a cop.

I Googled the number and it gave me the Garda Station it came from. The Guard asked me what was going on as she had a report of a possible scam, I explained I had already supplied the gentleman with the tracking number and gave it to her again.
    There have also been many stories in the news of people being arrested and charged over done deal scams involving selling tickets etc

Advertisement