Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main Retailer Slug in ham

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Reid

Alun wrote: »
    Lettuce is the usual source of slugs, so maybe there was a bit of "decorative" lettuce around the ham in the display cabinet and one somehow got onto the ham and then dropped unnoticed into the bag, or possibly one escaped from a lettuce in the OP's fridge and went off in search of a midnight snack :)

Midnight snack!!!!!!😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You mean there's a mass outbreak of worms which may actually be slugs, that can survive slicers, lack of oxygen, weight and all sorts of others, that are invisible until a late stage? Definitely go to the media with that.

But as how the OPs says the story is, it's full of holes and nobody knows if the retailer was even approached. If they were, you can be certain that they would do a full investigation of the claims. He said it was a 'major retailer', they employ people that do this and are pretty familiar with the supply chain from factory to fridge.

Maybe it is... but the task is not to judge the validity of the op's claim... but to give advice as to what to do.
    They may have concluded that the contamination couldn't have happened within the confines of the store, if at all.

That's true. It mightnt be a slug.. or a worm.. but a small maggot larvae from a fly which was going around the deli counter. This could happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Maybe it is... but the task is not to judge the validity of the op's claim... but to give advice as to what to do.

That's true. It mightnt be a slug.. or a worm.. but a small maggot larvae from a fly which was going around the deli counter. This could happen.

But the OP has now confirmed that it was indeed a slug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That would be taken much more seriously. But the plot holes still apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Billy Reid wrote: »
    Just spoke with local environmental health officer and apparently the store has dealt with the issue correctly.

The EHO will now investigate but I will not get feedback.

And yes it was a slug not a worm. Apologies.

I'm not looking for a quick book here im looking for the local store to get their hygiene issues in order.

I can tell you from experience with these agencies that they are light-touch in most cases

You'll be lucky they even pay a visit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Alun wrote: »
    Lettuce is the usual source of slugs, so maybe there was a bit of "decorative" lettuce around the ham in the display cabinet and one somehow got onto the ham and then dropped unnoticed into the bag, or possibly one escaped from a lettuce in the OP's fridge and went off in search of a midnight snack :)

This.

Seems extremely unlikely a slug would voluntarily spend any time in contact with ham considering the effect salt has on them. As Alun says it was probably either in some lettuce in the shop or in your fridge and then fell into the ham. Not a pleasant experience for the consumer but entirely harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I can tell you from experience with these agencies that they are light-touch in most cases

I can tell you from experience as a food producer for 7 years that this is not the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That would be taken much more seriously. But the plot holes still apply.

The burden of proof as to the genus of the species doesn't rest with the OP. The same way I find what I think is a stone in a rasher and it turns out to be a bit of hard plastic or animal bone.

It still stands that the OP found something there that shouldn't have been there. What they want to call it is up to them, they aren't the expert. (A young maggot larvae could look like a little worm or translucent and slimy enough to be a small slug).

Trying to ascertain the 'validity' of the Op's claim through a 'plot' is immaterial.

They OP doesn't want to know 'how' it got there.. or what species it was. It's not for them - or us- to find that out. That would be for a different thread.

The OP wants to know how to proceed with their complaint.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The burden of proof as to the genus of the species doesn't rest with the OP. The same way I find what I think is a stone in a rasher and it turns out to be a bit of hard plastic or animal bone.

It still stands that the OP found something there that shouldn't have been there. What they want to call it is up to them, they aren't the expert. (A young maggot larvae could look like a little worm or translucent and slimy enough to be a small slug).

Trying to ascertain the 'validity' of the Op's claim through a 'plot' is immaterial.

They OP doesn't want to know 'how' it got there.. or what species it was. It's not for them - or us- to find that out. That would be for a different thread.

The OP wants to know how to proceed with their complaint.

But before the OP proceeds with their complaint surely they have to do a bit of research as to where the slug came from? As pointed out above ham is riddled with salt there the slug would avoid it and wouldnt last long in the packet with the ham. For all we know, the OP placed the slug in the packet or the OP's house mate could have for a joke etc.

Right lads it's lunch time and I'm off for a ham sambo

• Advertisement

OP did the people affected visit a doctor?

jonnycivic wrote: »
    OP did the people affected visit a doctor?

No they did not.

No they did not.

So how are you 100% certain that "Food poisoning was an issue." if it wasn't diagnosed by a doctor?

jonnycivic wrote: »
    So how are you 100% certain that "Food poisoning was an issue." if it wasn't diagnosed by a doctor?

Without a stool sample I cannot be certain, however going on side effects it was likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

duploelabs wrote: »
    I can tell you from experience as a food producer for 7 years that this is not the case

EHO satisfied according to op

Satified that a slug found its way into the Ham

Par for the course with these agencies

Without a stool sample I cannot be certain, however going on side effects it was likely.

Food poisoning mustn't have been much of a concern if you were self diagnosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

according to OP, they have food poisoning without a professional diagnosis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I would not agree with your assesment, and I know this from experience. Ours obviously diverged drastically at some point.

The monthly publication from the FSAI will also be contrary to your experience.

It certainly is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I was having dinner in a restaurant a few years ago and I found a slug in my salad, I wasn't put of by it just saw it and called the waiter over she took it back and apologized multiply times. I received a fresh meal and ate it plus they didn't charge me for it so its a win win really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

jonon9 wrote: »
    I was having dinner in a restaurant a few years ago and I found a slug in my salad, I wasn't put of by it just saw it and called the waiter over she took it back and apologized multiply times. I received a fresh meal and ate it plus they didn't charge me for it so its a win win really.

I often find little slugs in salads from the, 'German Retailers', I find it quite comforting, it means the vegetation hasn't been sprayed/treated to oblivion..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

What's worse than finding a worm in your salad?

Finding half a worm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

seagull wrote: »
    What's worse than finding a worm in your salad?

Finding half a worm.

I'd say you've had a few worms in your time, Jonathan Livingston ...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

jonon9 wrote: »

I had similar experience with a caterpillar. Waitress not remotely apologetic.She squashed it on the plate then wiped plate and handed it back to me :eek:

Advertisement