Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main Retailer Slug in ham

Options
  • 07-06-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

How does one go about dealing with a worm thathe was found in a packet of ham.
    Have tried dealing with them directly but no impact.
    Do I go legal ... the media or what
    Food poisoning was an issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Did they refund you for the ham? A worm in the ham does not automatically suggest a food poisoning issue. Was anybody ill after consuming the ham?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did anyone eat the ham?

Realistically all you are going to get for an uneaten bit of ham with contamination is an apology and a few vouchers. You can report it to the FSAI also.

Was it dead or alive? Pork can have worms in it which are dead after cooking - hence why pork has to be cooked thoroughly. Although they're usually invisible, unlike worms in fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Reid

L1011 wrote: »
    Did anyone eat the ham?

Realistically all you are going to get for an uneaten bit of ham with contamination is an apology and a few vouchers. You can report it to the FSAI also.

Was it dead or alive? Pork can have worms in it which are dead after cooking - hence why pork has to be cooked thoroughly. Although they're usually invisible, unlike worms in fish...

Yes the ham was eaten
    People where I'll from it
    They have not refunded the money
    The worm was alive and returned to thensure store

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Billy Reid wrote: »
    did they get written diagnoses from the doctors?

Dunno if others bothered to look at your previous posts, it had me curious, If you are bothered "defending" yourself, remember you are not in court :pac: people can actually put 2 and 2 together without having to have 100% proof it equals 4.
    Hi

I was fined in court for driving with no car insurance

I made a mistake and held my hands up

Will this effect my travel to the states is it a criminal record

RE tv licences
    Speak to an post legal dept this morning.
    This can be pulled at a cost.
    Been there done that.
    And be apologetic have the credit card ready

rubadub wrote: »
    did they get written diagnoses from the doctors?

Dunno if others bothered to look at your previous posts, it had me curious, If you are bothered "defending" yourself, remember you are not in court :pac: people can actually put 2 and 2 together without having to have 100% proof it equals 4.

I'm not quite sure what you are implying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

How does one go about dealing with a worm thathe was found in a packet of ham.
    Have tried dealing with them directly but no impact.
    Do I go legal ... the media or what
    Food poisoning was an issue.

"Food Poisoning" is as abused a word as "flu"

I had food poisoning a few years ago - I assure you it is not nice and it is not as simple as throwing up after something.

Similarly I had "flu" about 25 years ago and it is something you never want to experience - real flu knocks you back for six for about 3 weeks.

So I doubt very much it was food poisoning - more a reaction to realising you ate something you think was nasty. - The nocebo effect.

In reality there was no harm and frankly no case other than a refund. In addition, your contract is with the store it was purchased in, so that's where you go looking for your €2

Thanks for the feedback guys

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm not quite sure what you are implying
    Not to worry, everybody else does, and those are the ones I wanted to inform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes the ham was eaten
    They have not refunded the money
    The worm was alive and returned to thensure store

Doesn't sound like it was a packet of ham, they're sealed and it would be long dead, either by being squashed, or suffocation, before it got to your house.

And how could you not see it in the pack or slice when opening it, handling it, or even putting it towards your mouth? And why is your first thought to go to the media or legal?

Doesn't add up.

rubadub wrote: »
    Not to worry, everybody else does, and those are the ones I wanted to inform.

Thats great.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like it was a packet of ham, they're sealed and it would be long dead, either by being squashed, or suffocation, before it got to your house.

And how could you not see it in the pack or slice when opening it? And why is your first thought to go to the media or legal?

Sliced off the block into plastic white bag.
    Half of the ham was eaten then we returned for more and when we got to the bottom of the bag we seen the worm.
    Just felt that going to media / legal on the issue may have got the supplier to get the finger out and deal with.
    Inclinded to leave it be now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is it a slug or a worm OP, you make refernce to a slug in the title and then worm in your post. Theres a big difference in both of them.

Also I note you said it was cut ham in a white bag so you got it from the butcher and he cut it fresh? If so there is no worm or slug that would survive going through the cutter it would have chopped it to bits.

Just felt that going to media / legal on the issue may have got the supplier to get the finger out and deal with.

Deal with it, i.e. financially recompense you? As said, it's dubious that the worm or slug, or anything fatter than a slice of ham, went through a slicer alive.

Your story is dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Is it a slug or a worm OP, you make refernce to a slug in the title and then worm in your post. Theres a big difference in both of them.

Also I note you said it was cut ham in a white bag so you got it from the butcher and he cut it fresh? If so there is no worm or slug that would survive going through the cutter it would have chopped it to bits.
    It was likely in the bag the ham was sliced into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Sliced off the block into plastic white bag.
    Half of the ham was eaten then we returned for more and when we got to the bottom of the bag we seen the worm.
    Inclinded to leave it be now.

Get on Facebook and Twitter with it

Call me Al wrote: »

But not really if the bag was taken from the stack.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well it could also have found its way into said bag after the OP brought it home aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Or got in to the bag when in the OPs home?

Nothing is likely at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

CeilingFly wrote: »
    "Food Poisoning" is as abused a word as "flu"

I had food poisoning a few years ago - I assure you it is not nice and it is not as simple as throwing up after something.

Similarly I had "flu" about 25 years ago and it is something you never want to experience - real flu knocks you back for six for about 3 weeks.

So I doubt very much it was food poisoning - more a reaction to realising you ate something you think was nasty. - The nocebo effect.

In reality there was no harm and frankly no case other than a refund. In addition, your contract is with the store it was purchased in, so that's where you go looking for your €2

That's a bit harsh.. the OP claims that food poisoning occurred. Your definition of food poisoning seems to imply an absolute state like "the flu". Food poising can vary from mild tummy upset to death!

Sure, you'd have to be getting stool samples and whatnot to get verification.. either way though they have a reasonable complaint. I'd have to dispute the statement "no case other than a refund"... if it's found that others reported it and others suffered similarly than there would be a stronger case to answer.

Personally I'd prefer if the OP took it as far as they could. A business refusing to engage probably just means they'll continue on doing what they're doing. So it could be any of us posting here who could fall victim.

Report it to the FSAI OP https://www.fsai.ie/makeitbetter/
    Maybe nothing will follow but it might just take 1 more customer with a similar complaint and they'll take action.

Not sure if you can claim compensation straight away though...you'd need legal advice from that.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    if it's found that others reported it and others suffered similarly than there would be a stronger case to answer.

Personally I'd prefer if the OP took it as far as they could. A business refusing to engage probably just means they'll continue on doing what they're doing. So it could be any of us posting here who could fall victim.

Maybe nothing will follow but it might just take 1 more customer with a similar complaint and they'll take action.

Not sure if you can claim compensation straight away though...you'd need legal advice from that.

You mean there's a mass outbreak of worms which may actually be slugs, that can survive slicers, lack of oxygen, weight and all sorts of others, that are invisible until a late stage? Definitely go to the media with that.

But as how the OPs says the story is, it's full of holes and nobody knows if the retailer was even approached. If they were, you can be certain that they would do a full investigation of the claims. He said it was a 'major retailer', they employ people that do this and are pretty familiar with the supply chain from factory to fridge.

They may have concluded that the contamination couldn't have happened within the confines of the store, if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh.. the OP claims that food poisoning occurred. Your definition of food poisoning seems to imply an absolute state like "the flu". Food poising can vary from mild tummy upset to death!

Sure, you'd have to be getting stool samples and whatnot to get verification.. either way though they have a reasonable complaint. I'd have to dispute the statement "no case other than a refund"... if it's found that others reported it and others suffered similarly than there would be a stronger case to answer.

If it is indeed food poisoning, the gp that diagnosed it should report it to the fsai. The latter will look for a professional diagnosis on this to action an investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Would you think about contacting the Food Safety Authority of Ireland? At the very least you should get your money back.

https://www.fsai.ie/

Just spoke with local environmental health officer and apparently the store has dealt with the issue correctly.

The EHO will now investigate but I will not get feedback.

And yes it was a slug not a worm. Apologies.

I'm not looking for a quick book here im looking for the local store to get their hygiene issues in order.

Just spoke with local environmental health officer and apparently the store has dealt with the issue correctly.

The EHO will now investigate but I will not get feedback.

And yes it was a slug not a worm. Apologies.

I'm not looking for a quick book here im looking for the local store to get their hygiene issues in order.

How can you be so sure it came from the store tho and not around your own home??

How can you be so sure it came from the store tho and not around your own home??

Fair point jonny
    But we are certain it was from the ham

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

DNA testing ?? ;)

alf66 wrote: »
    DNA testing ?? ;)

Hilarious

Fair point jonny
    But we are certain it was from the ham

I fail to see how there was a slug there. The bags are normally in a flat packed box so a bulge of a slug would be noticed. The butcher would even notice the slug in the bag on their hand because they normally place the bag completely inside out on their hand. Then you have the whole issue of if the slug was attached to the ham then it would have been diced completely going through the slicer.
    The boot of your car could have had a slug in it and made its way into the bag on your way home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lettuce is the usual source of slugs, so maybe there was a bit of "decorative" lettuce around the ham in the display cabinet and one somehow got onto the ham and then dropped unnoticed into the bag, or possibly one escaped from a lettuce in the OP's fridge and went off in search of a midnight snack :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

With the high levels of salt in processed ham I doubt a slug would survive in a pack of ham for very long , also a lot of cooked meat is packed in a low , or zero oxygen environment, was the slug dead or alive when you found it

Advertisement