Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best single player games/campaigns

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The Witcher 3
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    The Last of Us
    Titanfall 2
    Prey 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Prey was one I had my eye on but it got a LOT of criticism around bugs and resource management that really turned me off. Will probably look to pick it up at some point though. Thought the demo was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Havent seen it mentioned but Wolfenstein The New Order is probably one of the best if not the best FPS single player I've played in the last few years. The soundtrack and music is fantastic. The prequel expansion the Old Blood is a nice dessert to top it off.

Doom too is great. Not as good as Wolfenstein but still fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Doom too is great. Not as good as Wolfenstein but still fantastic.

I loved Doom right up to the final chapter. Something about it put me off slightly and had me thinking this was going to be more a slog than it turned out to be. I didn't have the enthusiasm to play it that I had for the rest of the game.

Il pick and mix here for fun!

Bayonetta series.
    Some of the most rewarding gaming experiences money can buy. DMC on acid.
    Phenomenal actions sequences and a bat **** crazy story.

Resident Evil 2
    It's not often I replay a game yearly but continues to withstand the test of time, and still manages to unerve me no matter how many times I play it.

Fallout 3
    Never forget the first time I experienced escaping the vault.
    Sapped so many hours of my life when it first came out.

Bioshock
    Never has there been such a believable place even if it is fictional. The Loire along was enough to keep me so engaged. And I'm one of the people that absolutely loved the gameplay also.
    Of only I could erase my memory so I could play it again without remembering anything.

Max Payne
    Again another highly re-playable​ game from both a gameplay and story perspective.
    I remember playing this when it first came out. Years of years waiting watching all those PC gamer previews and clips. Action at its finest and some of the best weapons in a video game.

Doom 2016 & Wolfenstien The New Order
    What a way to reset and go against the grain of the mundane shooters of the COD era.
    Starting with Wolfenstien, which in fact had a really good story with believable characters but gameplay was king. Again weapons felt meaty and just a top notch shooter.
    As for Doom, game pretty much says go **** story I'm just here to **** up demons in what is arguably some of the most statisfying FPS mechanics in nearly a decade.

Super Metroid & Metroid Prime
    Funny enough it was only in the last five years I experienced these classics.
    It's very hard to explain how a 16bit game can provide such an atmosphere especially as I can't associate it with any nostalgic feeling but what a game SM is, that intro alone sets the tone and I couldn't let go till I was done.
    Even more so the fact I only competed Metroid Prime this year but it brought all those feelings from SM back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bioshock 1 and 2 - the story and setting just won me,over completely. Its in my top 3 franchises of all time. Disclaimer: **** off with system shock 2.

Spec ops the line - I had never been so depressed and feeling so morally ****ty after playing a game. What a fantastic game, that got overlooked, because of "its just another third person shooter"

Witcher 1 and 2 ( havent played 3 yet ) - fantastic games, with fantastic world, characters and stories. Witcher 1 in particular. After I finished I had mind blown feeling and was sitting for a few minutes trying to go through my head and put peaces together. Then furiously googling ending meanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

No-one recommending Bioshock Infinite or Fallout 4? Good! :pac:

Well it was released on PS4 and XB1 in 2016 so I'm counting it as recent....

Resident Evil 4 - epic single-player campaign which I imagine holds up well today.

Not a coherent story per se but a thrilling sequence of diverse locations and action set-ups.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought I hated open world games. Then Zeldq Breath of the Wild came along and made me realise I didn't hate open world games it's just that for the last 10 or so years nobody was making them properly.

Yea, Fallout 3 & GTA V were dreadful :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yea, Fallout 3 & GTA V were dreadful :rolleyes:

And did I ever say that?

GTA 5 isn't bad but it's the same old open world structure we always see. Markers on a map with scripted missions. I didn't find it overly exciting and anything outside the story missions wasn't all that fun. It's not as formulaic as a Ubisoft game but I don't find it terribly excited and anyway GTA hasn't really done anything for me since 3 and vice city.

I wouldn't really put Fallout 3 in the same category since it's pure RPG. It actually has some of what makes Breath of the Wild so good. See something on the horizon that looks interesting. Go there and discover a quest line. It's only really let down by Bethesdas poor quest design. New Vegas greatly improves on it in that regard.

Anyway if you ever get around to playing Breath of the Wild you'll understand how much of a game changer it is. Even the developers of the Witcher 3, one of the very best open world RPGs you can get, recently released a statement about how impressed they were with how Zelda emphasises exploration and doesn't hold the players hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No-one recommending Bioshock Infinite or Fallout 4? Good! :pac:

I love bioshock franchise, but out of all 3, last one was the weakest. A lot of it due to very cod styled gameplay and two weapon limit. When you play infinity you feel how much of content was cut and underused.

Fallout 4... My least favourite one in franchise too. Story crap, which forces you to very aggressive decisions, which are all pure dumb. I am still putting fallout 2 as best one, but even 3, had so many memorable quests and parts. Wheres in 4, I just wanted to be done with it and move on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dragons Dogma - A cool world too explore, cool combat, having other peoples pawn's is awesome, boss fights are actually fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Penn wrote: »
    The OP said "of the last few years". Been "a good few years" since the last Legacy of Kain game.

A remake or reboot would be worth considering though, and surprised they haven't tried.

They planned it then ended up with some crap online game.

Advertisement