Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best single player games/campaigns

Options
  • 06-06-2017 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

What are your favourites from the last few years?... Mine: Persona 5, The Last Guardian, Witcher 3, Boodborne, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. 2 and 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Titanfall 2 - Amazing, simply wonderful and only 8 hours long, doesn't outstay its welcome
    Darkest Dungeon - Everyone should play this game, it's a tough but rewarding experience with great atmosphere
    Shadow of Mordor - Good length, diverse gameplay, enjoyable world, not seen before mechanics
    Far Cry 3 - A less bloated game than 4 and overall better
    Red Dead Redemption - Obviously
    Naughty Dog PS exclusives

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Last of Us - the opening scene punched me in the gut, dazed I continued on and it only got better. Never been so emotionally attached to a storyline and characters in a game. Watched all the cutscenes, which I NEVER do.

Wolfenstein the New BloodOrder. Went into this not knowing much about it. It was such a blast compared to other FPS games at the time. The sequel and DOOM have since done more of the same but this tops the lot in that genre imo.

Horizon Zero Dawn. Storyline was broadly panned. Brought it 'cos it looked great. I really liked the story and the main protagonist, Alloy. Genuinely rooting for her. Much better hero than Lara. Combat was excellent and the collectibles in the open world setting were surprisingly well done, for a change.

These stood out for me among recentish titles but there was a lot more I would mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

DOOM 2016

Because it was a AAA game that didn't care to have a boring AAA story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Alien Isolation
    Journey

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Red Dead Redemption - Award for best ending in a game ever. The build up to it (essentially the entire storyline) was amazing. I don't want to say too much more out of fear of spoiling it.

Far Cry 3 - Became completely immersed in the world after about an hour. The island is beautiful, the plot is captivating, and Vaas is easily one of the best bad guys from a video game.

The Modern Warfare trilogy. (Yes, I'm serious) - Beautiful visuals, exciting plots. Cpt. Price is just such a badass and in my eyes one of the best video game characters ever created, some of his speeches are just epic.

Witcher 3 - One of the best games I've ever played, probably the first game that made me feel like I was watching a movie instead of playing a game. A very, very entertaining movie I might add. The characters are so well fleshed out and you really do feel like you get to know everyone of them.

Fallout 3 (added in later after being reminded by another poster) - I'm a big fan of the whole series, shoutout also to the Elder Scrolls series, but the fallout 3 campaign stood out from the rest. The feeling of walking out of that vault for the first time was just fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4. Not sure if anything more needs to be said on those ones.

I'd also throw in Grand Theft Auto V. I really enjoyed the single player campaign. I thought the story was great and well presented. The gameplay in terms of actual story missions was a lot more varied and fun than GTAIV. A great cast of characters. I know it's been overshadowed somewhat by GTA:Online and the lack of single player DLC, but the actual main game itself was fantastic.

I'm also incredibly conflicted on mentioning Metal Gear Solid 5. It has its negatives, and a hell of a lot of them. But it's also a great game at its core that you can sink a lot of easy hours into. The resource collection can be fairly addictive for a while too. The gameplay is tight as hell, and when it does give you a bit of story, it presents it very well and there are some amazing scenes in it. However, The Phantom Pain couldn't be a more apt title for it because it's missing a huge chunk out of it, and you're constantly reminded of it. Constantly getting the sense that there was supposed to be something there. But again, it gets a hell of a lot right and is a great, solid game for a good 50-60 hours before the bad starts outweighing the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Uncharted 4

MGS: Phantom Pain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Titanfall 2
    Doom
    Some of the Telltale Games offerings - The Walking Dead (Season 1 in particular), Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note - Folks would be much appreciated if you wouldn't mind saying something about the games you pick - makes for a much more interesting, discussion-friendly thread than just lists of popular game names :)

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    The Walking Dead (Season 1 in particular), Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands

Do the latter two 1st, at least they End

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition and Titanfall 2 would be my top three of recent times.

The Witcher 3, to me, is probably the best game I've played. I completed it twice once with the DLC and the first time without and I still wish I had more of it to play.

Dragon Age Inquisition is a similar case but it was more a game about the characters and their relationships than the world they inhabited, which was the Witches strongest point.

Titanfall 2 is the perfect palate cleanser to those two and I actually played it in between them. Short, snappy and a hell of lot of fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Titanfall 2 - Amazing, simply wonderful and only 8 hours long, doesn't outstay its welcome
    Shadow of Mordor - Good length, diverse gameplay, enjoyable world, not seen before mechanics

2 superb single player games IMO.

Also I will add:

Horizon Zero Dawn - this is such a fantastic game, the story is well done and the environment is just a joy to explore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No better place to bring up Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which hasn't been mentioned much outside the Nintendo forum and hence demands wider preaching ;)

Nintendo created the rare game that makes other good games look worse by comparison. It takes the most familiar genre and gameplay ideas of modern times and completely deconstructs them to make something that is simply better. Simple things like having the map fill in as you explore, rather than offering a simple list of tasks to complete - it's something which encourages exploration, curiosity and adventure. Most games have you follow a breadcrumb trail - Zelda subtly hints at something in the distance, and trusts you to chase it if you so wish. The difference this makes to the tone and flow of the game is difficult to overstate - it has learned lessons from Dark Souls as much as Ocarina of Time.

Then there's the systems - a world that is truly dynamic that allows a (large) series of basic interactions to mix with each other in ways that can surprise and amuse after dozens of hours of play. That the game rarely explicitly tells you how it all works is such a pleasant change in a major franchise game in 2017.

Not that the scripted content is shabby - the puzzles are pure Zelda, and the dungeons may be shorter and more focused than previous entries but are still beautifully designed. It's also among the first open world games I've played that truly embraces non-linear storytelling - as basic as the narrative is (it's still Zelda), its reliance on environment-based flashbacks is an ideal fit.

I've been playing a bit of Horizon alongside finishing up a few things in BotW. The former isn't a bad game, but in comparison to Nintendo's towering modern masterpiece it feels restrictive, formulaic and a little underwhelming. In some ways, that isn't the fault of Guerilla who have done a very good job in areas such as combat and visual design - it's more that BotW is so exceptional that it can't help but feel a design generation ahead of its contemporaries. It is the most essential AAA single player game in an age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mass Effect trilogy. First plays very stiff in 2017 but gives a superb introduction to the universe, the characters you'll meet for the next 80 or so hours the 3 games will offer. Saren is probably the best antagonist in the series.
    ME2 improves the combat significantly, adds loyalty missions for the squad mates you aquire & an incredible final mission.
    ME3 is more action focussed, features a bad ending (it is bad, sorry) but also has some highpoints with the genophage decision & the legion/tali choice in Rannoch .

Arkham Asylum. If you like Batman at all this is essential. Confined story that doesn't overstay it's welcome, a world that adds so much character that the sequels lost & it's unpopular but I enjoy the gameplay especially the stealth sections. A sane amount of riddler trophies too. Admittedly the final boss is gack.

Arkham City expands on the original with a larger world which allows you to glide but loses a bit of the tightness & character of Arkham Island, actual side missions (hit & miss) add more to the game, challenge rooms are superb too & has better boss fights.
    Do the latter two 1st, at least they End

The Wolf Among Us ends with a big cliffhanger that set up more but it still hasn't happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Since it hasn't been mentioned, I loved the first Darksiders game. As close as you can get to a Zelda game without a blue shield and the triforce.

DS2 didn't grab me as much - I must go back and try and finish it before the third game comes out.

Bioshock also deserves a mention. It's just 2 months away from its 10 year anniversary and some modern games can't hold a candle to it. It still holds up really well.

ERG89 wrote: »
    The Wolf Among Us ends with a big cliffhanger that set up more but it still hasn't happened.

I wouldn't say that tbh.
    It's not so much a cliffhanger, just a bit of a twist ending which leaves things open and makes you re-evaluate the story. It could be used to set up more, but it's also a case where more really isn't required. The ending is still satisfactory as is imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Probably get slammed for this but I loved Batman Arkham Knight. Found the storyline so immersive. I thought having Bruce being taking over by the joker was fantastic. I jumped at parts (manbat) and laughed out loud at others (joker singing). Fantastic end to a fantastic series IMO.

Ye should spoiler tag that TWAU stuff tbh

Ye should spoiler tag that TWAU stuff tbh

I wrote it without mentioning any details, but fair enough. Better safe than sorry.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Titanfall 2
    Doom
    Some of the Telltale Games offerings - The Walking Dead (Season 1 in particular), Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands

To add more detail:
    Doom - just an incredible game. Fast paced and brutal; incredibly satisfying throughout and there's no real moment of standing still. Plus it has a great soundtrack that I listen to on a weekly basis.

Titanfall 2 - engaging single player campaign that's a lot of fun. Some clever ideas and mixes up the use of Titan and soldier on foot nicely. Mini boss battles are pretty epic.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 is a really well told story with a great cast and characters and many memorable moments. Yes, things fall apart if you replay, but if you take the narrative for what it is, it's great. Open ended at the end, but you can make up your own mind as to what happens (or go on to play the rest)

Wolf Among Us - Ended up picking up a couple of the Fables stories after playing this. A dark take on some classic fairytales, great action scenes, and a gripping (if a little confusing) storyline

Tales From the Borderlands - It can be difficult to do humour in videogames, but TFTB does a great job of it. Certainly one of the more light hearted offerings from Telltale and some great action scenes too.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll second Breath of the Wild. johnny pretty much nailed everything. I will add that I spent so much time playing it. So many distractions from the main story. Even though it can be completely pretty quickly, I spent over 60 hours so far on it. You could head towards your next destination until you see something in the distance that distracts you so you change course to go there, only for something else to catch your eye. And so on. Plus the fact you can just climb pretty much anything, then when you get to the top just jump and glide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's funny how you say TWD1 falls apart trying to replay. Was the first Telltale game I played and really enjoyed it but can't for the life of me play it again.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's funny how you say TWD1 falls apart trying to replay. Was the first Telltale game I played and really enjoyed it but can't for the life of me play it again.

I did play through it twice and ended up making almost the exact same choices again because I couldn't bring myself to make any different choices. They were the right choices I felt the first time around, they were still the right choices second time around.

gimli2112 wrote: »

To be honest, I don't play them a second time, but one of the complaints I typically hear about the games is that there aren't branching paths based on the choices, etc. And to be honest, I'm fine with that; the narrative is strong and kept tight because there are constraints.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No one has mentioned them yet, and i still hold them as the best series of games in the one world, but the Legacy of Kain series. My favourite series ever, nothing has come close to it in terms of story and voice acting, especially the voice acting. While a bit dated now, i played through them again recently and i am still in awe.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - Top down RPG-ish type, a bit aged and can be skipped, but still a very good game, sets up the story. Didn't play this before the others, only got it after the series finished, but still worth a whirl.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - The one that introduced me to Nosgoth and it's amazing characters, a bit aged looking as it was an early 3rd person adopter, but still such a great game. Reading afterwards of what they cut out showed the true intent of what they wanted, if only they weren't limited by the power of the PS1. Still highly recommend it.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 - PS2 era, still looks and plays very well. Continues the amazing story. Very highly recommended.

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 - Not as good as the others, but still not too bad to continue the origins story, also introduces a new enemy. Worth if if you're stuck for something to go through, not completely necessary though.

Legacy of Kain: Defiance - Again, continues the amazingness of the Soul Reaver part of the series. This time, you play as both Raziel and Kain, something that's quite well done. Again, highly recommended.

If you don't mind games not looking like modern masterpieces in the graphics department, one will have an amazing experience if you're impressed by story and voice acting. Lots of twist and turns also. We need a remake!!!

Ah here, seriously?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

No one has mentioned them yet, and i still hold them as the best series of games in the one world, but the Legacy of Kain series. My favourite series ever, nothing has come close to it in terms of story and voice acting, especially the voice acting. While a bit dated now, i played through them again recently and i am still in awe.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - Top down RPG-ish type, a bit aged and can be skipped, but still a very good game, sets up the story. Didn't play this before the others, only got it after the series finished, but still worth a whirl.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - The one that introduced me to Nosgoth and it's amazing characters, a bit aged looking as it was an early 3rd person adopter, but still such a great game. Reading afterwards of what they cut out showed the true intent of what they wanted, if only they weren't limited by the power of the PS1. Still highly recommend it.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 - PS2 era, still looks and plays very well. Continues the amazing story. Very highly recommended.

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 - Not as good as the others, but still not too bad to continue the origins story, also introduces a new enemy. Worth if if you're stuck for something to go through, not completely necessary though.

Legacy of Kain: Defiance - Again, continues the amazingness of the Soul Reaver part of the series. This time, you play as both Raziel and Kain, something that's quite well done. Again, highly recommended.

If you don't mind games not looking like modern masterpieces in the graphics department, one will have an amazing experience if you're impressed by story and voice acting. Lots of twist and turns also. We need a remake!!!

The OP said "of the last few years". Been "a good few years" since the last Legacy of Kain game.

A remake or reboot would be worth considering though, and surprised they haven't tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Hotline Miami for me. Bloody, brutal with a great soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't understand how people rate Uncharted 4 as one of the best single player campaigns - the gameplay was repetitive and quite dull for large sections of the game. It might have been a better if the story was good but I found it trite and uninteresting with annoyingly overlong cutscenes at times. The Last of Us suffered some of the same problems with gameplay but the story was compelling so it made a huge difference to your enjoyment of the game. I will give U4 props in terms of its visuals - it is beautiful to look at and some scenes like the ballroom are amazingly well handled.

I haven't got an Xbox or the latest Nintendo consoles so this is coming purely from a PS angle bu the best single-player campaigns for me would probably be Wolfenstein New Order - Sharp, focused gameplay with a fantastically over-the-top B movie storyline that moved along at a brisk pace.

Metro Last Light was a great FPS with a wonderfully realised post-apocalyptic world and some very tense sections scattered throughout the game.

Hotline Miami is a frantic top down shooter that is completely unforgiving but absolutely addictive as you keep hitting the continue button to try and best it. It's a pity Hotline Miami 2 didn't have the magic of the original.

Last of Us as I mentioned above is not without its flaws but the story make it a must play for everyone.

Honourable mentions would be for Spec Ops: The Line - not without its flaws but a fantastically atmospheric game with a gut punch ending.

Life is Strange - Playing as a teenager who would definitely have a Tumblr account in real life would probably be most people's idea of hell but the storyline that unfolds is absorbing and it leads to a epic climax. Well worth a play for those that got it free with PS Plus this month.

Portal 2 - Good humour and puzzles that are logical and a game that never gets boring makes for a game that everyone should play.

Layers of Fear - Yes, its pretty much a walking simulator and I'm sure it completely apes PT that I never got to play and yes, the ending is a bit anti-climactic but I loved walking through this house of horrors and the atmosphere of dread it created, especially around chapters 3-5. It's a game you'll finish in a couple of hours but it is definitely worth having a run-through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

For PC only, definitely Nier Automata. One of the most unique games with one of the most gut punching endings, along with the multiple endings turning into an entirely different story. Even with the easy combat and PS3 style graphics, it was definitely the best experience I've had finishing a single player game.

Titanfall 2 was a close second.

Advertisement