Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Summons - Can we pay now to avoid fine?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The inspector will testify that you identified yourself and confirmed that you had no licence, and that their own records corroborate this, i.e. there is no licence in respect of the premises.

The issue will boil down to whether the court is satisfied that you have a television. You don't actually say whether you have or not. Do you? And was that question also asked and answered during the doorstop conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Darth Polus Minor

No he just asked if we had a license I said no, I'd love to know where he got my name from and if its a breach of Data Protection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

No he just asked if we had a license I said no, I'd love to know where he got my name from and if its a breach of Data Protection
    Very unlikely. Could have asked a neighbour walking past. Waste of time even pursuing that line.

As Peregrinus has said already, all that is still in dispute is whether or not you actually have a TV. If you have, I advise you to quietly park it elsewhere until after the court case.

Very unlikely. Could have asked a neighbour walking past. Waste of time even pursuing that line.

As Peregrinus has said already, all that is still in dispute is whether or not you actually have a TV. If you have, I advise you to quietly park it elsewhere until after the court case.

If I buy a license now and just rock up to court with it in hand. will that be favorable to hiding any TV set that I may or may not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They're the post office. They deliver your letters. They know your name; how could they not?

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    They're the post office. They deliver your letters. They know your name; how could they not?

I suppose that's a logical conclusion. I just found it odd that he knocked without initially having any one registered at the premises and expected me to give him my name. Then returned in full knowledge of my name a few weeks later. Anyway I'm just going to get the license and throw myself on the Mercy of the Courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I suppose that's a logical conclusion. I just found it odd that he knocked without initially having any one registered at the premises and expected me to give him my name. Then returned in full knowledge of my name a few weeks later. Anyway I'm just going to get the license and throw myself on the Mercy of the Courts.

If the old licence is still in date, it can be amended to cover your new address.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Hi all, rather than starting a new thread I thought i'd ask here...

In a nutshell, I recently moved into a shared apartment, where one of the tenants bought his own TV and keeps it in the living room. The tenant is moving next week, taking the TV with him and then there will be no TV on the premises.

Now, an inspector called to the door of the apartment one day and caught me unawares, asked me about an old tenant who had moved out before my time, said their licence had expired, and was there a licence for a TV on the premises - I answered honestly "I don't know if there is a licence, it's not my TV, and that other person doesn't live here any more." - as I genuinely didn't know if current housemate had a TV licence, and the other person was long gone. The inspector then asked who they were speaking to, I gave my name, and they went on their way.

Now, I've received a few letters in my name threatening a court summons unless I buy a licence. Since the other housemate is leaving with their TV, there will then be no TV then and it's not mine, do I have any recourse here or am I stuck? I can't see clear advice on this. Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Hi all, rather than starting a new thread I thought i'd ask here...

In a nutshell, I recently moved into a shared apartment, where one of the tenants bought his own TV and keeps it in the living room. The tenant is moving next week, taking the TV with him and then there will be no TV on the premises.

Now, an inspector called to the door of the apartment one day and caught me unawares, asked me about an old tenant who had moved out before my time, said their licence had expired, and was there a licence for a TV on the premises - I answered honestly "I don't know if there is a licence, it's not my TV, and that other person doesn't live here any more." - as I genuinely didn't know if current housemate had a TV licence, and the other person was long gone. The inspector then asked who they were speaking to, I gave my name, and they went on their way.

Now, I've received a few letters in my name threatening a court summons unless I buy a licence. Since the other housemate is leaving with their TV, there will then be no TV then and it's not mine, do I have any recourse here or am I stuck? I can't see clear advice on this. Thanks in advance :)

You don't have a tv so you don't need a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Email them and tell them what you have said here and see what they say... explain expressly that you don't have a tv and that there is no need for you to have a tv licence and that the person who has a thing has moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

(latest) Op - if I understand correctly, if the tenancy agreement/lease is in your name, and there is a TV on the premises, the TV licence is your responsibility .

Advertisement