Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair seating policy changes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Blut2 wrote:
    I actually had to change the German to something nonsensical but that gave a clear meaning to English speakers. "Ich spreche kein Englisch" doesn't sound clearly negative enough to shut down a conversation, apparently. People think you're saying you speak only a little English.

How about if you are going to acknowledge them, just say F**k OFF. Universally understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Blut2 wrote: »
    I usually go with a curt "nien sprechen sie Englisch" nicely.

Which translates as "no, do you (formal) speak English?" Saying that to a German speaker would be funny!

If you're going to pretend to speak another language, try get the words right, or you may have a funny situation where the person you said it to speaks the language! Lots of people do French Spanish and German in the LC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Just use something nearer to home, the pigeon Irish you learned in school. Sure nobody on FR would understand a word. Something like "póg mo thóin" would do the job:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

Not refunding someone who was asked to move after paying for reserved seating is a pure scumbag move even Ryanair should be embarrassed about.

I would go to small claims just to make a point. I wouldn't let them away with that.

The "friendlier airline" ****e they embarked on a year or so ago has been well and truly dumped at this stage and they are outdoing themselves once again. It's almost like they go out of their way to be the most **** airline to fly with.

Regarding the seating policy, they 100% definetly and deliberately seat people apart even when it makes more sense to sit them together. The "random" seat allocation is not random. It is heavily weighted toward middle seats also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

techdiver wrote: »
    Not refunding someone who was asked to move after paying for reserved seating is a pure scumbag move even Ryanair should be embarrassed about.

I would go to small claims just to make a point. I wouldn't let them away with that.

The "friendlier airline" ****e they embarked on a year or so ago has been well and truly dumped at this stage and they are outdoing themselves once again. It's almost like they go out of their way to be the most **** airline to fly with.

Regarding the seating policy, they 100% definetly and deliberately seat people apart even when it makes more sense to sit them together. The "random" seat allocation is not random. It is heavily weighted toward middle seats also.

I think it's fair enough to charge for allocated seating and/or take pot luck if you chose not to pay.

Where they are getting it all wrong is then trying to bump folk who have paid in favour of those who have haven't.

The cabin crew should just ask folk to take their seats according to their boarding passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

I think it's fair enough to charge for allocated seating and/or take pot luck if you chose not to pay.

Where they are getting it all wrong is then trying to bump folk who have paid in favour of those who have haven't.

The cabin crew should just ask folk to take their seats according to their boarding passes.

I actually agree, but at least be truthful about the "algorithm". I also think it's slightly sharp practice to deliberately seat members of the same party away from each other in order to extort* money from them.

* Hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Which translates as "no, do you (formal) speak English?" Saying that to a German speaker would be funny!

If you're going to pretend to speak another language, try get the words right, or you may have a funny situation where the person you said it to speaks the language! Lots of people do French Spanish and German in the LC!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104395294&postcount=330

I discussed that 4 posts above you... Perhaps English isn't your first language?

My experience with the more exotic languages is people don't understand what you mean. Whereas saying the above in either French or German most people will understand enough to leave you alone, but not be confident enough to attempt to continue the conversation. And a flat '**** off' as another poster suggested would be tad too aggressive and confrontational altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Blut2 wrote: »

I discussed that 4 posts above you... Perhaps English isn't your first language?

tad too aggressive and confrontational altogether!

The irony!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,176 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This isnt the languages section, or the former Thunderdome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

People shouldn't have to put up with this, if someone has paid for a seat they shouldn't be put in a situation where they have to then fight for it. Flying can be stressful enough without having to feel pressurised into giving up the seat you've paid for or potentially becoming embroiled in an argument with somebody who's trying to intimidate you out of the seat you've paid for because they chose not to?i don't care if Ryanair charge people who want to pay to choose their seat but any fallout from this should be Ryanair's to deal with, they should have a total ban on people changing seats once onboard, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭plodder

I find Hungarian the language of choice in this situation...
    Or pull out a book that looks like a dictionary/phrasebook and say in broken English:

"My hovercraft .... is full of eels !"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Interesting to see how many people are railing against being asked to move after buying a seat.

I wonder if this initiative will prove to be counter-productive in that people who previously would have bought seats now won't bother because of the likelihood that they might be asked to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Apologies for resurrecting this after a couple of months, but thought this might interest some.

I'm about to take my 6th Ryanair flight in the last 3 weeks, and each time have waited until a few hours before the flight to check in, and have got a window or aisle for every flight. However today, I checked in about 3 hours before departure and have been given a middle seat, only it's the middle seat of the exit row so I'm perfectly happy with that!

All the flights I've been on have been jammers, and while there's a bit of swapping going on, nothing that has delayed any flight yet. I haven't been on any bucket and spade routes though that are full of families so maybe that's a different story altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I've checked in for three ryanair flights very recently. 2 middle seats, one aisle. It appears to be luck of the draw. Just as well I don't mind sitting in middle seats too much. If there is a strategy which doesn't involve paying money to avoid a middle seat then I haven't found it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

737max wrote: »
    I've checked in for three ryanair flights very recently. 2 middle seats, one aisle. It appears to be luck of the draw. Just as well I don't mind sitting in middle seats too much. If there is a strategy which doesn't involve paying money to avoid a middle seat then I haven't found it yet.

Very early before the check-in closes, check the seating plan. Look for free seats, pick one that's suitable - and just sit down there. If someone else shows with the seat there, play dump and get to your seat.

Sure, it does not give guarantee... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

737max wrote: »

I took quite a few Ryanair flights before the current crisis and I found the later I checked in the more likely I was to get a window or aisle seat.
    I'm using Aer Lingus a lot now and the same theory applies.

It's worth leaving it as late as possible because they have to give you a seat anyway even if it's only premium seats left, and if you do end up with a middle seat you're no worse off anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

grogi wrote: »
    If someone else shows with the seat there, play dump and get to your seat.
    I'm afraid to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm afraid to ask.

Stupid auto-correction. Wanted to write Gump. Forrest Gump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

grogi wrote: »
    Stupid auto-correction. Wanted to write Gump. Forrest Gump.

Yeah, I was a bit concerned about your original bit of advice alright! :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

First flights with Ryanair for some while, over to the UK and back for a few days, the flight over on Saturday was standing room only, due to the Leinster Exeter match on Sunday, but coming back this evening, it was very clear that Ryanair have very specifically changed their seat allocation algorithm, and they can deny it as much as they like, 2 passengers on one booking, one of them ended up with 6B, the other with 22B, but what made it clear they've deliberately changed it is that both 6A and 22A were unoccupied. So, all the excuses about seats not being available are blown out of the water, this change was a simple and petty change made with one intention, to gouge people for more money. Their call of course, but so petty and mean, and in some cases, all it's doing is delaying flights as people try to change their allocated seat at the boarding stage.

In some cases, it imposes an additional cost on people who have to sit together as a result of things like eyesight or mobility problems, where a second person provided support to someone with problems, it used to be the case that booking together, the system put you together most of the time, now, if 2 people need to be together to ensure that there are no problems, they are penalised as they have to pay a surcharge to ensure that there won't be issues on the flight.

Just means that in some cases, Ryanair's price is now not as attractive as it used to be, and may even be higher than a competitor, which could well mean that they are losing out on customer choice. Oh dear, what a shame.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 68,176 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If travelling in a group you need to price the cheapest prebooked seats in to your price comparison - the FR flights I took due to no reasonable alternatives had seats for €2 per seat per leg which isn't a huge amount - but if comparing seats on a tight budget, and considering that seats are often much dearer than €2, it could tilt the balance to a competitor.

For that flight, the price difference initially FR vs LH looked quite large but when you added in the food and drink that was bought on the FR flight, the bag that was paid for and the seating LH was all of twenty quid dearer per pax which I would always consider worth it for pax experience. FR won on timing, which is rare.

First flights with Ryanair for some while, over to the UK and back for a few days, the flight over on Saturday was standing room only, due to the Leinster Exeter match on Sunday, but coming back this evening, it was very clear that Ryanair have very specifically changed their seat allocation algorithm, and they can deny it as much as they like, 2 passengers on one booking, one of them ended up with 6B, the other with 22B, but what made it clear they've deliberately changed it is that both 6A and 22A were unoccupied. So, all the excuses about seats not being available are blown out of the water, this change was a simple and petty change made with one intention, to gouge people for more money. Their call of course, but so petty and mean, and in some cases, all it's doing is delaying flights as people try to change their allocated seat at the boarding stage.

In some cases, it imposes an additional cost on people who have to sit together as a result of things like eyesight or mobility problems, where a second person provided support to someone with problems, it used to be the case that booking together, the system put you together most of the time, now, if 2 people need to be together to ensure that there are no problems, they are penalised as they have to pay a surcharge to ensure that there won't be issues on the flight.

Just means that in some cases, Ryanair's price is now not as attractive as it used to be, and may even be higher than a competitor, which could well mean that they are losing out on customer choice. Oh dear, what a shame.

By contrast, I flew with a friend to Lanzarote recently with Aer Lingus and we took our chances and checked in at the desk in Shannon. I asked if we could be seated together in the front of the aircraft and we were duly accommodated with seats 2E and 2F.

Likewise, on our return flight we requested seats at the front, together and we got row 7, together, no questions asked. Nice to see that some good old-fashioned friendly customer service stil survives in this day & age.

I would happily pay extra for the pleasure of flying with Aer Lingus. There's still a bit of goodwill towards the paying customer. Ryanair can keep their passenger-gouging practises as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Comhra wrote: »
    I would happily pay extra for the pleasure of flying with Aer Lingus. .

But you do not want to pay the 2 Euro extra to pick a seat with Ryanair when booking?

bigar wrote: »
    But you do not want to pay the 2 Euro extra to pick a seat with Ryanair when booking?

I didn't book with Ryanair and I usually don't mind where I sit, but asking at check-in costs nothing and if I can't get a specific seat, it's no big deal one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

bigar wrote:

Not every seat is 2 euro. Depending on number of seats already booked you could end up paying a tenner at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Me and the OH flew to Frankfurt Hahn from Kerry recently.

it was €5 to book a seat together each leg the flights cost us €39.96 return for both of us

So add the additional €20 to sit together it would have been over the cost

When we checked in going over Herself got row 6 middle seat on the right of the plane looking up from the back and I got 22 aisle again on the right hand side of the plane.

On the way back we got the same rows but in reverse i was up front and she was down the back and the plane was nowhere full a woman was travelling alone in my row got the middle seat, the window wasnt occupied so she moved to it

Of course they are trying to squeeze the few more sheckles out of you

If I paid for reserved seating and they asked me to move they'd be told to FRO

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

bigar wrote: »

If there was a cost involved in providing the service, then I'd be prepared to consider it. When it is a simple pure gouge to provide a "service" that almost every other carrier (as far as I know) provides without charge, then I am going to be hostile to such gouging, and look at alternative suppliers for the same route.

The €2 option is not that common, as mentioned in another post, the cost of booking specific seats can be considerably more.

Another aggravation is that I can check in up to 60 days ahead, but again, only by being gouged for extras, if I want to keep the costs down, I can only check in 4 days ahead, so that means for a longer trip either finding a printer to print boarding passes, or being very sure that the smartphone is going to work at the airport, which in some cases is not guaranteed, and may cost depending on the airport.

Yet another petty issue that makes for additional stress that's not needed, given the massive rip off of airport check in. Free WiFi at some airports comes with a lot of strings, and restrictions, so the only safe way to use a smartphone for the boarding pass is to download the boarding pass before arriving at the airport, to be completely sure that it's there and available, to avoid the sort of hassles that can happen if the Free WiFi works for 2 hours, depending on the airport, that could mean that when you get to the gate to board, the pass can't be accessed as the time has expired. Not exactly friendly.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Another aggravation is that I can check in up to 60 days ahead, but again, only by being gouged for extras,

This is at least a step up from Aer Lingus - who only allow online check-in the day before if you haven’t paid for a seat.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement