Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair seating policy changes

Options
  • 06-06-2017 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Being discussed here http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/06/06/ask-a-broadsheet-reader-151/

A petty and annoying change for many passengers, irrelevant to many others

Basically, if you don't pay for a specific seat then expect to not be seated with others on your booking, regardless of the seats already assigned on the plane. FR being unnecessarily assholish in my opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭trellheim

Sounds like someone in ancillary revenue cooked up another wheeze , in fairness they are open about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

I don't really see the issue here. If you want to guarantee sitting together, you have the option to book two seats beside each other.

If you chose not to do this, you can hardly complain about ending up not sitting beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Happend to me 3 weeks ago we did the free check in and they put us in 2 aisle seats one in front of the other. Happened to lots of people on the plane and there was a lot of seat swapping going on due to it and made boarding much slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

I can see them rolling this back once they figure out they lose more money by people being less inclined to spend €6 on a 330ml can of Heineken when they are sitting next to a stranger rather than their mates, not to mention the slower boarding as someone else has already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Seems to be that when using the random allocation they will allocate all of the middle seats first then aisle - thus trying to encourage people to pay to chose a seat (but also helping even-out weight distribution). On a recent trip I was watching the seats as they filled up over time and left it until the morning of the flight to check in. By that time there wasn't even two seats together that were available to select. Ended up being allocated two window seats in rows 30 & 32. Flight was around 95% full.

• Advertisement

This would then indicate selecting a later checkin to avoid a middle seat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I love flying Ryanair, I know what it is, It's gets me there on time, and leaves me with spending money.

However, this new policy and the taking baggage at the gate drives me cuckoo. Why, because it's not effective. It slows down my journey, it makes people angry thus raised voices which interferes with my experience. A mother was try to hold up the plane recently till moved whole family moved together. Families should be assigned seating free. Groups older than 18 should pay.

I get it, it's budget but these policies in my opinion are not economically sound.

Charge people for wheel suitcases of all sizes Cabin size charge €10 return and upwards then as normal for bigger bags, take them at the bag drop.

Only back-packs on the plane.

people who take big bags on the plane drive me cuckoo !

There is no guarantee anywhere on Ryanairs site that seats will be adjacent - now I agree and I hate the fact they moved to assigned reservation, just to get some cash out of it ,

BUT you can pay to solve the problem .... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

trellheim wrote: »
    BUT you can pay to solve the problem .... ?

not necessarily, on my last flight there was someone else sitting in my seat - an older couple decided they can sit wherever they want.. given their age, I didn't want to cause any fuss and moved promptly to a seat where the gentleman was originally supposed to be seated. There were some 2 other incidents on the same flight with one side of the argument being - I'm entitled to sit with my mate - and the other one being - but I paid for that seat!

I agree that this is nonsense and is slowing things down a lot, I don't expect this to last

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭plodder

Apparently, they've had a policy for a while that you must pay for assigned seating when traveling with children (not sure the age cut-off). So, this is the logical extension of that. Basically break up adult groups unless they pay to sit together. This was discussed here before and I was going to post a comment along the lines of - next thing they'll be charging for ... xx! .. except I wouldn't want to be giving them any ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

AzcuzCoz wrote: »
    I think this is to be somewhat expected. RYR are a low-frills carrier, and therefore implement low-frills policies. I have always expected that they'll be charging €1 to use the toilets next!

Never heard that before ..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,017 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There are three of us flying in the morning. Two booked together, I booked separately.

The other two checked in today, got seats together free gratis and for nothing. They hadn't heard of this new "policy" so didn't pull any tricks (if you even can pull any tricks)

I just checked in about an hour ago and got a window seat (yay!)

So it's not across the board it would seem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Its very easy to jump on the bandwagon with a story about Ryanair and shout "scam" But there are a limited number of seats on the plane (189 in fact) So just like going to the cinema on opening night of a big film, if a large portion of the other passengers pre-select seats then you will be left with little or no choice on where you get to seat yourself.
    If the flight is full you will not be guaranteed getting a seat beside your mate. We are now in the busy summer travel period. (I dont think FR really have much of a low season with their very focused fleet/load/fare mgmt system in place) And obviously single travellers will select windows and aisles first so middle seats are left. So if their are 10-15 empty seats on a flight I bet they will be middle or aisle seats. (couples like to take the window and middle!)

I got sent some images today of a range of recent FR booked loads. I cant tell you who sent them or what day they were from but have a look at the number to the very right of the image. It shows the total number of booked on each sector, all I see are numbers over 160, with >189 showing quite often.
    (Meaning that yes, Ryanair overbook their aircraft)

A couple more images to prove that Ryanair overbook their flights:

Jaysus that Liverpool flight in the first one must have been the Calcutta express... 200.... where did they stuff em lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

trellheim wrote: »
    Jaysus that Liverpool flight in the first one must have been the Calcutta express... 200.... where did they stuff em lol

Was looking at that too and Manchester and then Glasgow I thought FR didn't oversell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Notice how they've only overbooked UK flights, those flights with quite a few a day to the destinations, if the full load turns up then just bump them to next flight. Clever

• Registered Users Posts: 29,017 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There are three of us flying in the morning. Two booked together, I booked separately.

The other two checked in today, got seats together free gratis and for nothing. They hadn't heard of this new "policy" so didn't pull any tricks (if you even can pull any tricks)

I just checked in about an hour ago and got a window seat (yay!)

So it's not across the board it would seem.

I was misled - they're not seated together after all!!

As you were.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

martinsvi wrote: »
    not necessarily, on my last flight there was someone else sitting in my seat - an older couple decided they can sit wherever they want.. given their age, I didn't want to cause any fuss and moved promptly to a seat where the gentleman was originally supposed to be seated. There were some 2 other incidents on the same flight with one side of the argument being - I'm entitled to sit with my mate - and the other one being - but I paid for that seat!

I agree that this is nonsense and is slowing things down a lot, I don't expect this to last

Why given their age?
    They wouldn't be left standing! They had assigned seats, just like everyone else on the plane. I would have no hesitation in insisting on sitting in my assigned seat. Otherwise what's the point of assigned seating? It just slows everything up for everyone else with all the swapping and rearranging otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

cee_jay wrote: »
    Why given their age?
    They wouldn't be left standing! They had assigned seats, just like everyone else on the plane. I would have no hesitation in insisting on sitting in my assigned seat. Otherwise what's the point of assigned seating? It just slows everything up for everyone else with all the swapping and rearranging otherwise.

Completely agree. If I pay for a seat then I expect to be sitting in it!! Would have no hesitation asking the flight staff to move the person.

• Advertisement

Why given their age?
    frag420 wrote: »
    Completely agree. If I pay for a seat then I expect to be sitting in it!! Would have no hesitation asking the flight staff to move the person.
    Martinsvi was being polite to an elderly couple who HAD aasigned seats that were not beside each other. He didnt ask the flight staff to move the person, as he was on his own he just took the seat that the elderly gent had been assigned so they could sit together. Arguing the point would have slowed the process up.

Its these little acts of kindness that help us as a society to get along, rather than this ever growing "this is my right" mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Tenger wrote: »
    Martinsvi was being polite to an elderly couple who HAD aasigned seats that were not beside each other. He didnt ask the flight staff to move the person, as he was on his own he just took the seat that the elderly gent had been assigned so they could sit together. Arguing the point would have slowed the process up.

Its these little acts of kindness that help us as a society to get along, rather than this ever growing "this is my right" mentality.

Its these ideas that because someone is old that we should bend over backwards for them and accommodate their every whim!?
    I am no anti old person person but if they have the knowledge and know how to book a flight then they should know how to reserve two seats beside one another!! Its these little acts of cop on that help planes board faster and people get to their destination on time!

I reserve a specific seat and purchase priority boarding so that I can guarantee that I can have my bag above my seat and I can get of the plane quickly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

The couple had "this is my right" mentality.
    If I have paid for my seats, why should I suffer a loss because someone else has a "this is my right" mentality?
    As frag pointed out, sitting in your assigned seat makes the boarding process faster and more efficient. You have the opportunity to pay for a seat if you do not get seats assigned together.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

jjbrien wrote: »
    Happend to me 3 weeks ago we did the free check in and they put us in 2 aisle seats one in front of the other. Happened to lots of people on the plane and there was a lot of seat swapping going on due to it and made boarding much slower.

Was on a flight yesterday with the exact same thing...out of the 10 people sitting in two rows, 8 were couples who were sat in front of each other. Lots of seat swapping throughout the plane and it did slow things down

Why given their age?

if you have elderly parents you would notice that as the time goes by, getting them through the airport gets harder and harder as the time goes by. Suddenly things they were never afraid before suddenly causes them fear, simple tasks become difficult. Even getting in and out of a seat is not exactly an easy task. This couple was just like that, it looked like they found much needed comfort in each others company and I had absolutely no issue with letting them having it. All I did was checked their boarding passes to make sure that the seat I'm taking is indeed the gents seat and at least 3 people walked away from the situation perfectly happy. Not all fights are worth fighting

(Meaning that yes, Ryanair overbook their aircraft)

are you sure it's overbooking and not people traveling with infants?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

if you have elderly parents you would notice that as the time goes by, getting them through the airport gets harder and harder as the time goes by. Suddenly things they were never afraid before suddenly causes them fear, simple tasks become difficult. Even getting in and out of a seat is not exactly an easy task. This couple was just like that, it looked like they found much needed comfort in each others company and I had absolutely no issue with letting them having it. All I did was checked their boarding passes to make sure that the seat I'm taking is indeed the gents seat and at least 3 people walked away from the situation perfectly happy. Not all fights are worth fighting

Good on you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

are you sure it's overbooking and not people traveling with infants?

Infants aren't included in the book load as they don't occupy seats

billie1b wrote: »
    Infants aren't included in the book load as they don't occupy seats

I'm just trying to understand what I'm looking at. Display says - "Sold" but it doesn't specify whether those are seats or what. Infants still require a fee for carriage. They do go on loading manifest, so do they nappy bag allowance, if I'm not mistaking, it's 11 kilos (6+5) in total per infant.

Also just in April Ryanair spokesperson, in the wake of United issues, claimed that Ryanair don't overbook. Having been on dozens of packed Ryanair flights, I've never seen anyone being denied boarding. So putting my ones and twos together, I just want to make sure that whatever claim Tenger is making, he can stand by it if the Ryanair lawyer brigade shows up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

@Tenger, you'd want to warn who ever sent those images, assuming they are company confidential, that you can fairly handily work out who they are based on the EXIF data contained in them e.g. Phone, location, time. Wouldn't take much investigator work.

Advertisement