Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards UK and Ireland Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Finn Balor will fly the flag for Ireland in the semi finals. There's only one more spot up for grabs though, who will grab it? Let's find out...
    ---

Tyler Bate

Textbook

Fighting out of Dudley, England

df246cf3a7b1773d9ac2f7b1a9920af9.jpg

Vs

Nigel McGuinness

The Tower of London

Fighting out of London, England

Nigel_McGuinness.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Nothing against Nigel, he had a really good career with some fantastic matches and he was ROH Champion when it actually mattered but in no way is he one of the 4 best wrestlers to have come out of the UK & Ireland.

Tyler Bate on the other hand I feel is so insanely talented that he is going to be looked back in 30 yrs as all time great. The sky is the limit for him. He can do comedy better than anybody not named William Regal, he can do serious wrestling as witnessed vs Pete Dunne at Takeover and he is a brilliant tag team wrestler as you will have seen if you have seen any of his Moustache Mountain or British Strong Style work.

My vote goes to Tyler.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Happy Regal & Finn progressed but here as much as I like Tyler and see big things in the future for him comparing him now to McGuinness is a little unfair imo and it has to be Nigel. A shame so many (WWE only fans) never got to see him as anything but a commentator.

Maybe in a few years time i'll vote the other way.

Nigel can be the Dynamite replacement in my original (in my head) final 4 of Regal, Finn, Dunne (just felt he'd make it despite too just being at the start of his big things to come) & Dynamite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Gonna vote for Nigel. He was fantastic in ROH, and I even liked him well enough in TNA despite TNA's booking. It's a bit of a shame that he didn't wrestle in WWE, but these things happen.

Bate is good, but I don't think he's connected with me in the same way he has with other posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I have not seen enough from both guys, but I will go with Nigel since he was solid both in the ring and on the mic from his time in TNA.

• Advertisement

I think for me, and for now, Nigel shades it. When all is said and done, I think Tyler will surpass him but for now it's McGuinness that gets my vote. He's one double tough SOB.

We're down to our Final Four now as we look to seek out the PW Boards UK and Ireland Champion. We have a mix of past, present and future here and it's gonna be a close call no matter who goes all the way. First, we need to determine one of our finalists. First to four advances. Here we go.
    ---

Pete Dunne

The Brusierweight

Fighting out of Birmingham, England

wwe_uk_champion___pete_dunne_by_nolegsgaming-dbarcux.png

R1 Def Jordan Devlin IRE 3-0
    R2 Def British Bulldog ENG 3-1
    QF Def Jack Gallagher ENG 4-1

Vs

Finn Balor

The Demon

Fighting out of Bray, Co Wicklow, Ireland

rs-206491-002_Tokyo_07042015MM_00320-1372028211.jpg

R1 Def Mason Ryan WAL 3-0
    R2 Def Sheamus IRE 3-2
    QF Def Finlay NI 4-0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pete Dunne, as good as Balor is I just find him too bland and find it hard to get behind whatsoever but feel he'll win because of the Irish connection. With Dunne there's a connection there right away and he's the type of guy you love to hate.

I agree. Balor is grand and marketable and that but I think the whole demon thing is just smoke and mirrors. He doesn't change his ring style or moveset when he 'morphs' into it. What is it like? Normal Finn is grand but nothing amazing from a character standpoint. Dunne, on the other hand, is about the best heel I've seen probably ever. His face is so punchable that he punches it himself in his own taunt. Love love love him and he gets my vote.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Finn Balor for me one of the best in the business at the moment, has the ability to work 2 very different styles of characters and he's improving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'll go with Finn, mainly to keep it interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm choosing Dunne. His face is just so smackable. A perfect heel, and he's awesome in ring.

Nothing against Finn.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll even it up here with Balor. To say he's bland is a bit unfair given the WWE seen fit to have him a) go over Roman Reigns (the guy widely proclaimed as the next big attraction) on one of his first nights to be called up to the main roster, and then win the Universal Title in his first title match on PPV. That he got injured is unfortunate but they obviously see something in him.

That's not even mentioning what Lee said earlier with his invention of the Bullet Club in NJPW.

Balor is now. Dunne may be the future but certainly for now, Balor deserves to make the final.

To me this is the final because whomever advances here should win the whole tournament. I will start with Dunne. In 18 or so months I have been watching him I legitimately believe he has transformed from a standout performer in Britwres to one of the absolute best in the world right now. He just gets IT and he has IT. He can emote more with a single scowl than anybody I have ever seen. He is an underrated promo guy. On any given day he can grapple with Zack Sabre Jr, he can fly with Mark Andrews, he can brawl with Jimmy Havoc. There is nothing he cant do. He is a superstar. I have no doubt he is going to main event many WrestleManias. He can be a bada$$ face who wont back down from anybody or he can be an absolute d!ckhead heel.

Finn Balor will never get the respect from some people that he deserves. He is the reason there is a Bullet Club. He is an Irishman that took a huge risk and went to Japan and became so beloved that they no longer considered him a gajin, he was one of them. He dominated the NJPW Jr division and was so popular that they moved him to heavyweight and more than likely would have made him IWGP Champion (AJ Styles got what would have been Finns title run). And then he took another huge risk and left his second home to join the WWE system where he not only excelled but became the face of NXT. And again was held in such high regard that he was made the first ever Universal Champion in his PPV debut at a Summerslam. He is quietly charismatic and some people seem to mistake his quietness for blandness. He doesnt need to scream or shout, he has that superstar aura. And when he does turn heel eventually and harnesses some of his NJ Real Rock n Rolla character I think some people are going to be very quick to revise their opinions of him.

All this being said my vote is for Pete. Watching him in the last 18 months has legit been one of the best things in wrestling for me. All hail the Bruiserweight

Wow, what a write up from our very own Lee JM, take a bow. The Bruiserweight Pete Dunne goes full steam ahead into the final. Which grizzled veteran is he going to meet there though?
    ---

William Regal

The Real Man's Man

Fighting out of Blackpool, England

williamregal.jpg

Rd 1 Def Will Ospreay ENG 3-0
    Rd 2 Def Marty Scurll ENG 3-0
    QF Def Neville ENG 4-2

Vs

Nigel McGuinness

The Tower of London

Fighting out of London, England

Nigel_McGuinness.jpg

Rd1 Def Mark Haskins ENG 3-0
    Rd2 Def Jimmy Havoc ENG 3-0
    QF Def Tyler Bate ENG 4-1

I'm choosing Regal.

TBH, I'm surprised both guys have made it this far (though I've voted for both along the way).

Choosing Regal for reasons I've already mentioned. I love looking back on the time he schooled Goldberg. He's a legit bad ass, and can do it all. Great as a heel, great comedy segments.

Thanks Omack.

Im voting for Regal myself. I explained last time out why I think Nigel shouldn't have even got this far so no need to go into it again. Regal is such a strange guy when you breakdown all of his traits. He is a great pure wrestler but he wouldn't be the best pure wrestler to ever come out of the UK. He is a great comedy wrestler but again not the best ever to come from the UK and has even admitted that he nicked alot of his schtick from older wrestlers. He is a tough hard as nails bastard but not the toughest to ever come from the UK. But what he was was the first to put all of that together in one package. He was the first to do it in a major US promotion. He is probably the greatest WCW TV champion ever. He has been in many great tag teams with a variety of partners. The one knock on him is that he torpedoed the biggest push of his life when he got a wellness policy suspension during his amazing Raw GM run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Regal, can't say it any better than Lee. Great write up on Dunne/Balor too Lee, agreed with every word even though I landed the other way in the end.

Even though I'm a Mc Guinness mark, I have to give the nod to Regal here. His range, longevity and legitimacy are unrivalled not only in the UK, but possibly the world. He can do silly comedy as he did with Tajiri and Cryme Tyme, he can brawl like a docker like he did with WCW Finlay and boy oh boy can he do out and out scary like he did as GM... SHUT IT BLOODY DOWN!!!!

Regal for the final.

I was guessing it'd be Regal vs Finn. I think It's still a bit too early for Dunne even though I think he's great and has so much potential but who could defeat him in the final Regal or Nigel?

Easier answer is big Willy. Nigel is great and he is going to do really well on coms in the WWE too imo but Regal has done it all. From his days brawling with Finlay in WCW to NXT GM / scout. Comes across like such a likeable gentleman too

• Advertisement

It's a dream final, an absolute dream final. It's honestly a match I could see happening at Summerslam if WWE would allow it to. We're gonna let this run its course until we've a clear winner. Get your votes in folks and let's crown the PW Boards United Kingdom and Ireland Champion.

---

Pete Dunne

The Brusierweight

Fighting out of Birmingham, England

wwe_uk_champion___pete_dunne_by_nolegsgaming-dbarcux.png

R1 Def Jordan Devlin IRE 3-0
    R2 Def British Bulldog ENG 3-1
    QF Def Jack Gallagher ENG 4-1
    SF Def Finn Balor IRE 4-3

VS

William Regal

The Real Man's Man

Fighting out of Blackpool, England

williamregal.jpg

Rd 1 Def Will Ospreay ENG 3-0
    Rd 2 Def Marty Scurll ENG 3-0
    QF Def Neville ENG 4-2
    SF Def Nigel McGuinness ENG 4-0

DA8w1tQXsAENCnz.jpg

thanks for the pm

Only with Neville were there votes against Regal but I think that will change here. Dunne is someone who I could imagine some actually calling the Next William Regal even though if were honest he is a whole different animal and has already impressed so much even at his young age that he is rightfully in the discussion as a possible winner. Regal however gets my vote because it is all well and good to look like your going to be huge but i'd imagine any up and coming wrestler from Britain would be more than happy if their career reaches what Regal has achieved and i'd actually include Dunne in there.

He could be a massive star (already is) but Regal is a deserved winner here for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Still in a bit of shock over Finn losing to be honest. Going for Regal here as well. Dunne certainly seems to have the potential to be a mega-star (Lee put it better than I ever could) but at the moment that is all it is - potential. Regal has been round the block for years with a stellar career behind him, and now he puts his wrestling mind to great use in helping to shape the future at NXT.

Dunne COULD be the next big star. COULD. Right now, it's William Regal who deserves to win this bout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Dunne has looked great anytime I see him and has the potential to be huge. But Regal has been around the block and had a superb career, and it's his influence in development that has opened the door for the likes of Dunne who one day will win a competition like this.

So I'm voting Regal.

I'm going with Pete Dunne. I'm genuinely excited to tune into his matches on TV and on PPV. I make it my business to see him when he wrestles on live shows in Ireland. Regal, while great, never had that effect on me. He was never the one I craved to see when he was active. I think the rose coloured glasses are on when it comes to Regal somewhat tbh.

Regal never won the big one, nor was he ever really in contention for it. Dunne WILL be word champion.

Brusierweight gets my vote.

Pete Dunne for me. I've stuck by him throughout.

Although Regal is absolutely smashing in the ring, I feel Dunne is already a better heel. Sure, we haven't seen the comedy stuff from him, but this is not always necessary from a performer.

Dunne is next level in ring, and his facials alone tell a whole story. Going to be huge in the very near future, especially if he's performing the way he did against Tyler Bate at Takeover.

So yes, Pete Dunne for me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Regal just about takes it for me based on the length of his career. I'd say, given another 5 years (if even that) Dunne could have my vote, but I just can't go against William here.

I remember seeing him wrestle in Dublin back in 2012 (I think) against McGillicutty, and he started getting cheered. He then went over to get a mic and ask had he finally gotten so old that he was getting cheered in Ireland, which is the sort of thing that sticks out in my mind, that level of awareness. Saw Dunne wrestle Will Ospreay too, and sadly the main thing that stood out in that match was I was sitting behind some gob****e who wouldn't shut up hurling abuse at Ospreay for about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Regal for me, voted for Dunne throughout the tournament and he's probably the only guy today who'll I go out of my way to watch his matches, interviews or even just to watch his reactions to things that happen cause he's that good. When I first watched him at the UK tournament and he attacked his oppenant as they were on stage I thought he reminded me of another William Regal in that he'll do anything to win and what a match it would be if both guys to scrap it out.

While I feel the Bruiserweight will out do Regals in ring achievements I feel that Regals longevity, willingness to adapt different styles throughout his career and his behind the scenes work which has brought the likes of Dunne, Bates and others who may not have gotten this opportunity if it wasn't for Regal and others gets him my vote. Ask me again in five years and Dunne gets my vote hands down but Regal was my pick from day one to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Regal for me at the minute but I think Dunne is going to be a megastar in wwe in the next few years and will be one of the top heels in the business if he's not already.

Regal at the minute with his longevity just shades it but I kind of see regal like the emperor in star wars and pete being Vader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

As someone alluded to earlier, id go out of my way to see Dunne, really love his style. Regals 08 push was when I enjoyed him the most , but right now its Dunne!

Advertisement