Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ losing international rugby but keeping soccer.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Who dropped 6 Nations rugby as "protected"?

There has been no change in the status of Six Nations rugby. It is protected but only insofar as a qualifying broadcaster may broadcast highlights. There is no live coverage protection. The relevant legislation is the Broadcasting (Major Events Television Coverage) Act 1999 (Designation of Major Events) Order 2003 (SI 99 of 2003).

Last year Denis Naughton announced he intended to add the ladies Gaelic football and camogie finals to the list but it appears he never did so. The consultation process also consulted on whether the Six Nations should be protected for live coverage but the Minister decided not to do so. Nonetheless this constituted a decision not to change the status, not a downgrade. In any event it appears the 2003 Order remains in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭More Music

jeffk wrote: »
    As far as I know clubs dont get paid for matches, i was told Dundalk got paid nothing for the match last week.

Lose lose lose, match on TV, gates down, neutrals wont go, then people watch it, oh 3-0,wouldn't go and see that rubbish.

That's hardly RTE's fault.

The FAI should take a long hard look at themselves.

The GAA fundarise massivley at local level and Croke Park HQ are well able to do big money deals. And of of course secure plenty of tax payers money also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You need to know that RTE are only permitted 6 minutes an hour advertising whereas TV3 can have 12minutes.

This gives tv3 a big advantage as rte must justify licence fee expenditure if costs are expected to be in excess of the commercial revenue of the programme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Who dropped 6 Nations rugby as "protected"?

More that Denis Naughton I gather didnt add it.

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/adrumm/six-nations-removed-irish-governments-list-free-air-sporting-events/

It remains only as deferred in Ireland, but the protection ultimately comes from what the BBC and ITV do in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Put it onto a digital HD digital platform that almost everyone has, shined it up and sell it as a product, you can almost be guaranteed you’ll see it on Sky.

Graph-1.jpg

A paywall is where everyone can see it ?

Shined it up ? What ?

HD ? RTE is HD.

The viewing figures on Sky are attrocious. A 90% decline.
    IF people don’t want to watch it on Sky (mainly because sure didn’t we use to get it with an aerial) go the local GAA hall, have two or three pints and watch the match. The hall will make SOME money off the pints and/or food. Then you don’t have to pay for sky for the month.

People want to watch the games. Having to bring your kids to a pub to see it is not an answer. Casual viewers are part of the all inclusive history of the national sport. That is against the ethos of the GAA.
    Myth, you just reinforced the old GAA myths

I suggest you read up on what you are commenting on Jeff. You sound like you are reading from a Sky propaganda handbook.

There very much is something to see here.

http://www.historyhub.ie/sports-rights-commercialization-revisited-sky-and-the-gaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

As a casual GAA fan I was disappointed that they put some of their games behind a paywall whilst not paying any of that money to the players who actually produce the 'product'. Basically, it's just bad form.

Also, the statement in the OP about soccer being prioritised over rugby is not really true if you look at how RTE treat soccer. They have the odd League of Ireland game on every 2 or 3 weeks, I would say less than 20 in a whole season. They show the Irish national team by default, they don't have the friendlies, and they have the Champions League by default as well, up to this point in time anyway. A bit like how they have the rights to broadcast the EuroVision Song Contest by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I personally believe that RTE is one of those state organisations that could and probably should be privatised. More and more are going to mobile devices to watch television and even if they made it so they couldn't charge more than tv license fee it would make sense. I think its riddiculous having to pay for a tv license when RTE show ads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I personally believe that RTE is one of those state organisations that could and probably should be privatised. More and more are going to mobile devices to watch television and even if they made it so they couldn't charge more than tv license fee it would make sense. I think its riddiculous having to pay for a tv license when RTE show ads anyway.

The population of the Republic isn't big enough for RTÉ to function on the licence fee alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTÉ is far from being the only broadcaster that has ads and revenue from licence/taxation.

Advertisement