Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony XZ Premium

Options
2»

Comments

I bought this yesterday on anytime upgrade with Vodafone i upgraded from the Z5,this phone is a beast really great camera and screen haven't had to much time to play around with it yet but its going to be the top smartphone of 2017!

Even if it's not even the top phone currently available, it's still good to see a decent offering from Sony. I wish LG and Moto had more of a presence here as well, so it doesn't always come down to mainly Apple and Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-xperia-xz-premium-review

Not the greatest review for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. I'm inclined to agree after s tumultuous time with the Z3 over the last 18 months and Sony send the phones to some scobes in Dublin who shout down the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wow Sony need to fix their naming schema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

It's for sale on the meteor website payg for 700 euro, pretty good value when you see it's 50 euro more than that on amazon.de and other sites

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I haven't put a case on a phone in years but i feel im going to need one for this,any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I upgrade from Sony Xperia XZ5 to the Sony Premium XZ. A couple of things i have noticed. The SMS with WhatsApp and Default SMS not showing the message(s) count when you receive a new message. The other annoyance is the vibration is very low and you can't increase the timing on it. Is there an App someone can recommend to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

The Xperia Z5 Premium was the first phone to feature a 4K (2160 x 3840 pixel resolution) display. However, despite the headline-grabbing spec, the 4K part of the phone could only be used with Sony’s media apps. The rest of the phone, including home screen and settings are all rendered in 1080p Full HD. The same also applies to the XZ Premium, although at least 4K video is supported through Amazon Video and YouTube.

However, what if you would like to take advantage of that 4K screen across all areas of your phone? Well a solution has existed for a long time, that involves the “adb shell” command to change the resolution and display density (DPI). Doing this means that you can run your phone natively in 4K resolution, however this does not come without perils.

While uses report that navigating around the home screen is noticeably sharper, some apps may have compatibility issues (particularly with text appearing smaller). A common complaint is that enabling native 4K will constantly crash the Phone Dialler app, although you can get around this with a third party app. There may also be some slight performance issues, however if you’re worried about battery life taking a bit hit, most people suggest that there isn’t a large impact.

YouTube user Damir Franc recently posted a simple tutorial on how to change the Xperia XZ Premium resolution, which you can check out below. You can also check out the source links below for extra information.
    https://youtu.be/UHtS5AgzWC0

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Klopp wrote: »
    I upgrade from Sony Xperia XZ5 to the Sony Premium XZ. A couple of things i have noticed. The SMS with WhatsApp and Default SMS not showing the message(s) count when you receive a new message. The other annoyance is the vibration is very low and you can't increase the timing on it. Is there an App someone can recommend to use?

I upgraded to the Sony Premium but the USB connection is different to that on the XZ5, can anyone tell what the Premium usb is called? I want to pick up a charger for the car and work laptop, and one i had for XZ5 doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Usb Type C.

Look up Aukey quick charge 3.0 on amazon for chargers.

Klopp wrote: »
    I upgraded to the Sony Premium but the USB connection is different to that on the XZ5, can anyone tell what the Premium usb is called? I want to pick up a charger for the car and work laptop, and one i had for XZ5 doesn't work.

It's USB-C.

You could also buy a couple of adaptors

USB C Adapter, Anker [2 in 1 Pack] USB C (male) to Micro USB Adapter (female), Converts USB Type C input to Micro USB, Uses 56K Resistor, Works with Samsung S8, MacBook, Nintendo Switch, ChromeBook Pixel, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nokia N1, OnePlus 2 and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AHKYIRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_js8BzbD1CS235

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Have this and love it. But the WiFi is trash. The signal drops every 30 seconds. Shocking. It's a widespread problem, there's a thread on the Sony website about it but absolutely no solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭1874

DareGod wrote: »
    Have this and love it. But the WiFi is trash. The signal drops every 30 seconds. Shocking. It's a widespread problem, there's a thread on the Sony website about it but absolutely no solution.

Jesus, I was almost convinced, I was thinking Id go for the XV rather than the premium as even that is a big increase in size over my current iphone 5s. tbh originally I was looking to see where I could find a Sony Z5 new and noticed in this thread that the XV is waterproof/dustproof as I thought those were features that were dropped with the Z5 and M5, both of which are not available in the usual stores, I was thinking of buying an unlocked phone on amazon but the new prices are so high that it seems better to roll it into a bill I think than fork out for that or even one of the secondhand options, plus the RAM is higher on the newer phones.
    Ive had sony phones in the past and only gave mine up when I was given the iphone, I hated it at first and while I got used to it, there are still features I dont like about it or that dont seem to exist at all compared to my android sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Lads anyone has an opinion for XZ1?

It will be included in the next firmware update for the XZ1

• Advertisement

Sony Mobile has confirmed that the option will also arrive on the Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact in a new firmware update at the end of November 2017. The Xperia XZs is also due the update at some point, most likely when the Android Oreo update hits.

I got the XZ1 Compact and its a great phone, never liked big handsets it definately worth the upgrade over the Z5 Compact I had.

Update hasnt been pushed out to any Irish Operators yet

Its only out on four variants at the moment.
    It should be rolled out over the next week for the Irish Operators i would guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I have it available to me now. Mine is a sim free dual SIM xz premium. It's 1290 MB will download it when I get home to the WiFi.

Advertisement