Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH PREVIEW & THREAD: B&I Lions vs NZ Provincial Baa-Baas

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Buer wrote: »
    Well that's annoying. But a replacement second row on the field for 19 minutes does not make it an amateur side.

Regardless, it shouldn't distract from the performance or result. I have money on the NZ SR sides to all beat their handicaps and I haven't changed that opinion at all.

I'm probably more confident if anything.

It's going to be a long month for the Lions.

What are the handicaps for the SR sides? How many are favourites to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Lions were favourites to win all of them. Handicaps ranged from 4 for the Hurricanes to 15 for the Highlanders. Blues were 13 for Wednesday.

They've all come in a bit since then aside from the Hurricanes. Blues are 7 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

What are the handicaps for the SR sides? How many are favourites to win?

I'm going off paddy power for these. None are favourite to win, but the crusaders are close at a 3 point handicap. Blues are at 7, highlanders 10 and chiefs at 5.

Before yesterday's game blues had a 9 point handicap, interestingly enough none of the other handicaps have seemed to have changed though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eoin247 wrote: »
    I'm going off paddy power for these. None are favourite to win, but the crusaders are close at a 3 point handicap. Blues are at 7, highlanders 10 and chiefs at 5.

Before yesterday's game blues had a 9 point handicap, interestingly enough none of the other handicaps have seemed to have changed though.

They've all changed by 3 points apart from the Hurricanes game which I think changed by 2.
    From last week anyway

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hurricanes will not have their ABs I'm assuming? Even with half their team I'd expect them to win pulling up. Crusaders should win by 15+. Chiefs, with a full complement of players would be strong favourites for me. Blues and Highlanders are the only possible Lions wins but they'll need to put their first team out (basically England and whoever to plug the gaps) to do it and it wouldn't be pretty rugby.

I'm not sure why the NZ fans are even excited about this tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Hurricanes will not have their ABs I'm assuming? Even with half their team I'd expect them to win pulling up. Crusaders should win by 15+. Chiefs, with a full complement of players would be strong favourites for me. Blues and Highlanders are the only possible Lions wins but they'll need to put their first team out (basically England and whoever to plug the gaps) to do it and it wouldn't be pretty rugby.

Novelty value...and we are desperate for some decent opposition...

It's currently Ireland on a good day...England at Twickenham...maybe Aussie and SA away when NZ plays poorly...

NZ Super Rugby sides are something like 25 and 0 against Aussie Super Rugby sides this season for example.

I think people are reading too much into this first Lions result - they will definitely get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

They will definitely get better. But so will the quality of the opposition. Can they improve enough is the only real question right now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

crusaders wont win 15+ i dont think..
    that game will be a real arm wrestle and it will be a one score game. The lions will have most of their first team out for than one and the saders will be full strength hopefully. i can see them dividing up about 55 points between them. Forwards well matched here.

highlanders game is hard to call... they have the back line talent to absolutely rip the lions apart, but i think the lions have the set piece advantage and will do damage there. The game falls at a good time for the highlanders in that dont have a game for a full 4 weeks... however.. take the test players out and we're weakened. Hammington and Banks at half back will be fine.. probably be thompson and bucky in the centre with Li and paddy osbourne on the wing with Faddes at 15. Not too shabby but all depends on lions selection here.

The blues on wednesday might just feel the full back lash of the lions poor start. The blues have a team of excellent individuals but too often defending (often as much physiological as it is physical) is optional with them. You dont know what youre going to get with the blues, but guys like rene ranger, piers francis, the ioanes, tu'ungafasi, luatua etc will all be chomping at the bit to get one over on the lions. With their ABs playing the blues could cause an upset here.

Hurricanes, even shorn of their ABs, will still be too strong for the lions second string. They can swap jordie barrett with NMS depending on who gets the call up. Hanson might release TJ to play this one hopefully. Aso and Laumape have been irresistable this season... will have cory jane and probably ben lam out side them.

the chiefs could be in for a tough game. all depends on who from their squad is called up... cruden, retallick, cane, ALB, TKB all probably gone. Hopefully they will still have DMK. I think Ngatai is back and is a player i like a lot. Last game before the first test and the lions should be humming at this stage. 4 or 5 players will possibly be vying for a test place so should be at 100%. this will be a cracker of a game i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

sydthebeat wrote: »
    crusaders wont win 15+ i dont think..
    that game will be a real arm wrestle and it will be a one score game.

highlanders game is hard to call... they have the back line talent to absolutely rip the lions apart, but i think the lions have the set piece advantage and will do damage there.

The blues on wednesday might just feel the full back lash of the lions poor start.

Hurricanes, even shorn of their ABs, will still be too strong for the lions second string. They can swap jordie barrett with NMS depending on who gets the call up. Hanson might release TJ to play this one hopefully. Aso and Laumape have been irresistable this season... will have cory jane and probably ben lam out side them.

the chiefs could be in for a tough game.

I think that the only teams here that will have trouble is the Chiefs. Only because of proximity with the 1st test. And there's the Blues.

But the others should get through because of a few reasons;
    Superior skill Thats a gimme.
    speed of execution The time taken to react, adapt and recognise what's happening in front of themselves, Defence patterns, the pace at which they hustle in defence is inspiring to watch. My team, the Highlanders could almost play and win a game with only 30% possession!?! I mean, who in their right minds does that!?
    the pace of the game The rugby game as a whole in NZ seems to have a heart rate cruise speed of full tit which turns everything into attack at a moments notice. The play for the man beside you right up till the last whistle is blown I assume would have the Lions sounding like an asthma attack recital.
    and the same AB game/business model/style played by ALL franchises.
    This is the key and foundation to NZ success. Each franchise has the same AB road map, apply that to their own regional stamp and we get the spectacle each week of the NZ teams performing better than the others.

On paper and maybe any other country, this is the best Lions team to date.
    But in 10 days, going on our only reference, the Lions are going to need close to a full strength side each night, providing they play to win.

What the Lions biggest concern then would be player management.
    And my favourite, the size of the fight in the man, how much heart they have.
    Go out there and die for the jersey Lions, not just win but lay it on the line for the Red jersey, all night, every night.

Advertisement