Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 a_shed

Thanks for that. And are they handy enough to take off/put on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah you need to be careful with the Marathon Plus, they're absolutely bomb proof but you still need to remove the chunks of glass/debris lodged in them from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

I haven't had them off often enough! From memory the might have been a little tough but not impossible.

Absolutely they never fail to impress with how much they absorb and what can be dug out of them while preventing a puncture!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Marathon Plus can be taken off a lot easier with 3 (or 4) tyre levers.

Kudos to the bike repair man I met near Essaouira in Morocco who pulled the tyre off and put it back on with his bare hands! He made an excellent cup of teas as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Edward Scissorhands but with tyre levers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thinking of heading out along the canal from Dublin, have never tried it but have heard a few times of this ominous sounding deep sinking!

Any up to date information on current state of canal? Is it passable or need to come off for this deep sinking section? I have 40mm knobbly tyres....

A few mentions of works taking place in kildare, is that underway?

Thanks very much.

Don't suppose anyone Dublin based would babe a link to a strava route I could download?

Deep sinking is doable but dangerous, no works in Kildare as someone dropped the ball and it has to be retendered. How far are you planning on going? Train to Maynooth and starting from there means you start on the finished Greenway or train to Longford and cycle back to Maynooth for the train to Dublin means you're less likely to be denied boarding with the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Be aware with the train to/from Longford that it takes 2 bikes max. Got caught out by that when myself and a small group of friends decided to try cycling one way. Should be okay with train from city to Maynooth as there are commuter trains and they'll take multiple bikes off peak.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Same here denied boarding to an empty train in one of the lockdowns to make it worst! The train had about 15 people on it but it was too dangerous to carry bikes, he wouldn't even allow them be dismantled and placed in the luggage racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Deep sinking is one of my favourite parts. Just take it handy. I've even done it on 25mm on a road bike before.

• Advertisement

There's a big deal made about following rules in Irish Rail, for safety reasons. Some people are just a bit sounder about it sometimes.

Thanks all.

How far am I going.... No idea! If I plan it properly /manage to find a window or time, maybe 6 hours or so, allowing for a few stops.. Not going at full tilt or anything, more of a relaxed pace. My normal outing would be enniskerry, Sallygap etc on the road bike and maybe 70 to 100km sort of thing, but have a gravel bike and feel need to justify purchase, so after a few excursions off road around enniskerry I'm thinking canal next...

Hadnt even considered the train so thanks for that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The royal canal website is very good for distances. The whole thing is a lovely spin, especially if the weather plays ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The wind can be annoying as in places it funnels along the canal so best to plan to have it at your back and use the train either to or from Mullingar or Longford to suit. You can book online in advance and book the bike slot.

It's a lovely spin but make sure you have a loud bell as the majority of walkers are too busy gossiping to notice anything 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

the deep sinking is my favourite part.

at this time of year there will be no issue.

bit knobbly with tree roots etc but just take it slow

hopefully the nimbys there will be overuled to allow the new northside greenway...soon.

Thanks again, very helpful info.

On the train, am I next to bike or do I have to leave it in some bike storage compartment etc unattended? I'll check out the train website, maybe info is there. Thanks again

Don't mind tree routes or bad surface, some photos online look like there are sections where it passed under bridges and looks like there's about a foot width of room to squeeze under or fall a good drop into the canal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

You’ll be grand with those tyres in the deep sinking. Just don’t fall in, it’s a bit of a drop!

Some of the trains to Longford are (or were anyway) commuter trains where there shouldn’t be any hassle with the bikes. It’s the intercities you need to be careful with. The Irish rail website’s journey planner will help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

When you do the online booking you can also book seat with a view of your bike. Reality is that the seat bookings are rubbish, they never put the name on the seat. You may get a seat beside the bike - usually happens, or there could be approx 105 randy students crowding out the carriage :)

So, bring a cable lock just in case and remove anything easily pocketed like lights.That said, I've never had a problem!

Also, make sure that the chain is on the biggest back ring to keep the derailleur above the rail that the wheel sits in on the rack.

Just an FYI Longford commuters only run during peak hours so station staff may deny boarding for them too, more likely at the busier Dublin stations but still a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

How many diesel generators are pumping water from rivers to keep the canal topped up??

You'd have a better idea than us I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭blackvalley

If you want to go for the real belt and braces approach then fit the Schwalbe marathon plus and stiick slime filled tubes inside . A bit pricy but practically bomb proof .

"Slime filled tubes inside". Can you explain this? I m about to go get the Marathon Plus as I'm planning on doing the Royal Canal ride to the Midlands in the coming weeks. I cant afford a puncture on the e bike in the middle of nowhere.

I am not sure how to add a link to a post but if you Google. “Slime filled bicycle inner tubes “ it should bring you to several relevant sites.

Basically they are inner tubes that contain a quantity of liquid sealer so in the event you getting a puncture a small amount of this liquid leaks out and seals the leak. A bit like blood forming a clot. In my experience this substance will stop all but the bigger leaks

The tubes are exactly the same as normal ones and you pump and maintain them in the normal way.

Another option is if you already had good inner tubes is to buy a can of this sealer, remove the valves, pour the sealer into the tubes, replace valves , pump up and off you go. It’s a bit more messy than simply replacing the tubes.

As I said originally the tubes are quite expensive but they give great peace of mind.

You will loose a small bit of tyre pressure if you get a puncture but can easily pump back up.

When pumping a tyre with slime inside be sure to have valve in the twelve o’clock position to prevent slime leaking back into the valve and pump.

You can get a liquid that fills tubeless tyres, that seals small punctures. I think people also put that in tubes.

I tried it back in the 90s and it was just a mess for me.

Cool. Never heard of it before. will check it out. Txs!

Btw I presume the best time to hop on these trains (to maximise space likelihood for the bike) out to say Enfield or Mulligar is .... mid week mid morning? I'm plotting the return leg from Mulingar back to Maynooth and then take the Maynooth train back into town. Will do the same for Skerries train soon...with Waterford also in my plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I never had any issues with punctures on Marathon Plus, I regular used a rocky gravel path for shortcuts. The only time I ever got a puncture was from a screw.

Advertisement