Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo wrote: »
    It's greenwashing. It's possible to create a path through the north bank and leave the majority of it intact (though it's also possible to create a path and raze half it to the ground, depending on your construction methods). Creating a path on the south bank will leave absolutely nothing there - if the 'ambulance must fit' criteria is used, there's no room for any trees or significant growth to be kept afaics.

Just saw this on twitter - mock-up of south bank boardwalk. Entire bank effectively sterilised.

E3M4MJMWQAEZCu_?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well, there is a debate to be had regarding should the bank you're cycling/walking on be the pretty one, or the bank opposite that you're looking at? Though the south bank could be rewilded if the path was moved to the north bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Back to cycling on the Royal Canal. I had the pleasure of cycling the Royal Canal Greenway from Maynooth (I understand this is the starting point for the Greenway) to Cloondara and back again on Saturday. 245km odd, epic bit of a spin, lots of sealed gravel as you all know by now, millions of gates to get through, and plenty of stops for food/water.

Did it on a road bike, 25mm tyres (4Seasons!!) with zero punctures or indeed mechanicals - just a very dusty bike at the end.

Would highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I cycled Lucan to Clonsilla the other week while dry. Road bike with 26c tyres at 100psi. From Lucan to Hansfield, one or two spots get a little bit narrow but could use the grass if needed. One or two dips on the surface and one or two exposed rocks here and there. It's a bumpy ride but doable for the short distance I'd be on it.

From Hansfield to Clonsilla is a different story. Going under the train track is supper narrow with a stone slab to get up so I would avoid at all costs and go around. There's still 2-3 paths but there's a ton of exposed rocks and some roots. This would be an issue in the wet and would be a concern for more fragile tyres/wheels.

I averaged 15kph. It would have been faster but I was taking it easy as it was my first time on the canal and I didn't want to fly along on a road bike. Also first time off road in a few years so a bit of confidence would speed it up.

If I was on a set of Marathon Plus I'd probably go this way on my commute, it would save a ton of time. Just not sure how it would go in the wet.

7suWxev.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I cycled Lucan to Clonsilla the other week while dry. Road bike with 26c tyres at 100psi. From Lucan to Hansfield, one or two spots get a little bit narrow but could use the grass if needed. One or two dips on the surface and one or two exposed rocks here and there. It's a bumpy ride but doable for the short distance I'd be on it.

From Hansfield to Clonsilla is a different story. Going under the train track is supper narrow with a stone slab to get up so I would avoid at all costs and go around. There's still 2-3 paths but there's a ton of exposed rocks and some roots. This would be an issue in the wet and would be a concern for more fragile tyres/wheels.

I averaged 15kph. It would have been faster but I was taking it easy as it was my first time on the canal and I didn't want to fly along on a road bike. Also first time off road in a few years so a bit of confidence would speed it up.

If I was on a set of Marathon Plus I'd probably go this way on my commute, it would save a ton of time. Just not sure how it would go in the wet.

7suWxev.jpg

That section is very bad in when it's been raining. Really wouldn't recommend it if there's been any prolonged rain.

Cycled from Clonsilla to Lucan yesterday. Ground very firm as shown in your pictures. Ideally would like to go further up to Leixlip/Maynooth but had the little one with us so kept to a shorter trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

When you say Lucan, where do you mean? Lucan is on the other side of the Liffey.

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    When you say Lucan, where do you mean? Lucan is on the other side of the Liffey.

R

Parts of Lucan are North of the Liffey. There's only one bridge near Lucan on the canal that I'm aware of which is beside Rokeby Park and Laraghcon, just north of Lucan village. If someone is heading from Lucan it's safe to say that's where they mean. Collins Bridge, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Parts of Lucan are North of the Liffey. There's only one bridge near Lucan on the canal that I'm aware of which is beside Rokeby Park and Laraghcon, just north of Lucan village. If someone is heading from Lucan it's safe to say that's where they mean. Collins Bridge, I believe.

Yes it's Collins bridge. If you come off at that point then you have a short cycle to St Catherine's Park (Lucan side) or slightly further into Lucan village.

Yes it's Collins bridge. If you come off at that point then you have a short cycle to St Catherine's Park (Lucan side) or slightly further into Lucan village.

I know the area well, I've been living here for 15 years :) I just didn't think with two people talking about Lucan to Clonsilla that the location of the bridge in question needed clarification!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

buffalo wrote: »

Great news! I wonder does this mean they’ll get it done over the winter? I like the route so I hope it’s not out of action too long.

I took the new gravel bike out from Spencer Dock to Maynooth and back tonight (minus the Deep Sinking, that’s for another day). I’ll miss the wildness of it when it’s all done, but it’ll be a great resource for families. Also cleaner!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

Breezer wrote: »

I took the new gravel bike out from Spencer Dock to Maynooth and back tonight (minus the Deep Sinking, that’s for another day). I’ll miss the wildness of it when it’s all done, but it’ll be a great resource for families. Also cleaner!

think you passed the wife, dog and myself btw Confey and Louisa bridge ..I noticed the nice looking bike as it passed...carbon frame & slighty flaired bars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

devonp wrote: »
    think you passed the wife, dog and myself btw Confey and Louisa bridge ..I noticed the nice looking bike as it passed...carbon frame & slighty flaired bars ?

That’d be the one! Hope I was considerate, I tried to be, while simultaneously enjoying lashing the bike around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A reminder that the consultation period on Fingal's plans for the Royal Canal Greenway ends next Wednesday. Seems like the residents of the housing estates near the Deep Sinking have been very active in opposing any route along the northern bank despite the severe restrictions of any southern option. Please take a few minutes to support the current plans at
    https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/royal-canal-urban-greenway

link fixed - mb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

A reminder that the consultation period on Fingal's plans for the Royal Canal Greenway ends next Wednesday. Seems like the residents of the housing estates near the Deep Sinking have been very active in opposing any route along the northern bank despite the severe restrictions of any southern option. Please take a few minutes to support the current plans at
    https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consult...urban-greenway

That link seems to be broken

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was out in my folks house earlier. while i was there the chairperson of the resident's association called round with a petition (my mum signed it, just for a quiet life); when the woman heard i was in the house, she was all gung ho for me to sign it too. for a quiet life for my mum, i politely declined. in a 'it's OK, i know my stance so i'm not signing' way.

she came out with some guff that if the greenway was on the 'wrong' side it'd create danger in that people might attempt to swim across from it to the towpath on the other side.

anyway, submission made. are they moderated before they go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

anyway, submission made. are they moderated before they go live?

Thanks for fixing the link mb.

Not sure if they are moderated or not but my submission from last night hasn't appeared yet. From reading the submissions that are there, the residents associations in the area certainly seem to be busy stirring up opposition. Some of the grounds for objecting to the northern route are highly imaginative but the one you quote has to take the biscuit.

I have messaged Cycling Ireland in the hope that they might lend their support but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe some of the local cycling clubs (Blanch Wheelers?) might make positive submissions if they haven't already done so.

i read one submission that it'd make the cul de sacs dangerous for kids, learning to cycle, etc., which was interesting as i made the point that the cul de sacs are not safe for kids learning to cycle at the moment and the greenway may be a safer place for them to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

First meal OUT since last August: Nanny Quinns in Thomastown, at Lough 18 (the lowest of the seven loughs east of Mullingar).
    The pizza was 100%, the draught G was just as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Cycled Kilcock to Mary Lynch and back. Plenty of cyclists out, all abilities and all types of bikes. Probably the busiest I’ve experienced the canal, but great to see so many enjoying a great amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cycled Longford to Maynooth on Saturday, great amenity to have

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

link fixed - mb

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Duplotastic

mloc123 wrote: »
    Cycled Longford to Maynooth on Saturday, great amenity to have

We did Maynooth to Moyvalley and back with the kids and it was absolutely fab. Chip van in Moyvalley was a life saver as we thought Fureys pub would be open for food. My mistake!!

Could you tell me, is the surface as good as that the rest of the way to Longford? We're planning to do it in stages.

link fixed - mb

Another bump - this closes at midnight tomorrow, so a little over 24 hours to get a submission in to support it.

If we end up with a southern bank route, it'll be forever before it's built.

i note they redact identifying info on the submissions, but i've seen at least one where a resident mentions their actual address in the body of their submission, which is not redacted.

i alluded to it in a post about ten posts ago, but when the delwood resident's association committee member asked me to sign the petition against the north bank option, it was with an explicit 'it doesn't matter if you're not from the area' comment.
    i guess that's OK if they're not submitting the petition as being specifically from the local residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

We did Maynooth to Moyvalley and back with the kids and it was absolutely fab. Chip van in Moyvalley was a life saver as we thought Fureys pub would be open for food. My mistake!!

Could you tell me, is the surface as good as that the rest of the way to Longford? We're planning to do it in stages.

Yes, surface is the same all the way to Cloondara/Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

KevRossi wrote: »
    Yes, surface is the same all the way to Cloondara/Longford.

Yup, a mix of crushed sand or tarmac all the way It is actually a nice mix between the two, to add some variety :)

Edit: food options from Mullingar to Longford are not great, best we found was a shop in Ballynacargy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

mloc123 wrote: »

Edit: food options from Mullingar to Longford are not great, best we found was a shop in Ballynacargy.

There's a pub in Abbeyshrule, but I don't know if they're open. Pubs in Killashee and Cloondara as well.

Ballymahon is 5 mins from Ballybrannigan harbour and Keenagh is even nearer to the canal. So not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Duplotastic

KevRossi wrote: »
    There's a pub in Abbeyshrule, but I don't know if they're open. Pubs in Killashee and Cloondara as well.

Ballymahon is 5 mins from Ballybrannigan harbour and Keenagh is even nearer to the canal. So not too bad.

Fantastic info there. Thanks a million. Always easiest to motivate the troops when there's the promise of good grub along the way :)

Advertisement