Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭KevRossi

LennoxR wrote: »
    The Irish Times had this report from a couple of cyclists last September.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland/cycling-the-royal-canal-from-dublin-to-the-shannon-1.4016252

I've found, as I've said on this thread before, that while Dublin to Maynooth is a fun and quite challenging in places, ride on my gravel bike, there's no way I could do most of it on my road bike. After Maynooth appears to be much better now though.

After Maynooth is perfect, decent width, with a new topping.

I've cycled the whole of the canal a few times, once in the 90's and several times since 2013. Beggars belief that the missing bits are the sections that would be the most frequently used in the most densely populated section of the canal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2020/01/29/the-next-stage-of-the-royal-canal-cycleway-is-due-to-open-in-may-says-council-official

Next stage due to open in May.

They're going for a 1 way in, 1 way out approach, which isn't great for permeability. Hopefully it's well policed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Amirani wrote: »
    They're going for a 1 way in, 1 way out approach.

Surely two ways in and two ways out, unless it's going to be one-way?🙂

A bit of a shame alright that DCC capitulated to local pressure and agreed to close off planned access/egress points at Ferrymans Crossing and Oriel Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Amirani wrote: »
    https://www.dublininquirer.com/2020/01/29/the-next-stage-of-the-royal-canal-cycleway-is-due-to-open-in-may-says-council-official

Next stage due to open in May.

They're going for a 1 way in, 1 way out approach, which isn't great for permeability. Hopefully it's well policed.

I take it that the bridge comes down on the Seville Place side of the canal. ASB is rampant down there. I'd nearly advocate for a deliberate turn off into the estate, at Oriel Street, to undermine any threat further along the canal embankment. Cyclists will be target practice along that stretch IMO.

edit; on second thoughts, maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

Anyone know what's going on between Ashtown and Boombridge on the railway side? Alot of tree felling and heavy machinery in place the past 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

raheny red wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going on between Ashtown and Boombridge on the railway side? Alot of tree felling and heavy machinery in place the past 2 weeks.

New train station, pelletstown

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can I be a lazy sod and just ask where I should get a train to to do a 100km cycle back to Dublin? How about a 50km aswell in case I have a colleague with me who doesn't cycle as much?

Is it okay to take off on our mountain bikes now or should we wait a few months for the work to catch up a bit? As in are there any currently impassible bits?

And finally any Strava route for it or just a Google maps link?

Thargor wrote: »
    Can I be a lazy sod and just ask where I should get a train to to do a 100km cycle back to Dublin? How about a 50km aswell in case I have a colleague with me who doesn't cycle as much?

Is it okay to take off on our mountain bikes now or should we wait a few months for the work to catch up a bit? As in are there any currently impassible bits?

And finally any Strava route for it or just a Google maps link?

I'd suggest a train to Mullingar, it's 85 Km to Dublin, or 60Km to Maynooth for the train if you get tired. If you continue then there's another 6 stations on the way to Dublin from Maynooth, You've also the option of a less frequent train from Enfield or Kilcock.

Plenty of pubs en route for food, coffee or a pint. Shops in Longwood (small diversion), Enfield, Kilcock...

You don't really need a Strava as it's very well signposted.

Distances are here: http://royalcanal.ie/royal-canal-greenway/distance-table/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Head west from Dublin. The only 'impassable' bit is the Deep Sinking and you can easily bypass that on road. When I was out that way last month there were some works going on near Leixlip Confey. Just a 1/2km bit of road before rejoining.

Heading west, you have railway stations at Maynooth, Kilcock, Enfield, Mullingar, Edgeworthstown, Longford. Enfield is >50km, Mullingar <100km, Longford ~170km.

Head off now. Not a bother...

Train to Edgeworthstown and cycle back to Maynooth with a tail wind before getting the train back to Dublin. Perfect conditions all the way and no need to take to the roads. Or Mullingar to Maynooth if you want a shorter spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Train to Edgeworthstown and cycle back to Maynooth with a tail wind before getting the train back to Dublin. Perfect conditions all the way and no need to take to the roads. Or Mullingar to Maynooth if you want a shorter spin.

The nearest point of the Royal Canal to Edgeworthstown is Abbeyshrule (about 20km on quieter roads).
    Probably better getting the train further to Longford and the canal is very close to the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Does anyone know if the section of greenway between the Dublin Docklands station to the North Strand Road is back under construction or when is it due to be opened?

VonLuck wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the section of greenway between the Dublin Docklands station to the North Strand Road is back under construction or when is it due to be opened?

Was looking at it yesterday and they are back working on it. A lot of props still under the concrete ramp but the guard railings seem to be fitted. The section at towpath level looks good with some landscaping under way. I didn't get to look at it from the Sheriff Street end. There could be another couple of months of work left to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just thought I'd add a little note here. After two years of campaigning by some dedicated locals and with the aid of a very helpful Councillor, Meath County Council took charge of the muddy track from the village of Longwood to the canal at Ribbontail Footbridge (between Fureys bar and Longwood Dock).
    They completely resurfaced the path and opened it as a right of way the week before the lock down. It couldn't have come at a better time. Virtually every man woman and child in the village has been using it constantly since then and the positive vibe it has brought has completely overridden the anxiety and negativity of being stuck at home for the last few weeks.
    To top it off, I'm back at work now in Hansfield so I could cycle most of the way to work without using the main road although 40km home along the canal into a headwind might be a reality check.

That's the path that ends out here, is it? Good news anyway. Would actually encourage me to stop off in Longwood on a canal spin.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4428319,-6.933329,3a,75y,340.48h,96.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sE2okXDcPQ29iqC2ZmrPvAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

KevRossi wrote: »
    That's the path that ends out here, is it? Good news anyway. Would actually encourage me to stop off in Longwood on a canal spin.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4428319,-6.933329,3a,75y,340.48h,96.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sE2okXDcPQ29iqC2ZmrPvAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yes, that's the spot. Pristine tar up to the village now. Important info for anyone visiting Longwood - the scones in Gala are nicer than the ones in Spar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Does anyone know if you can switch off the royal canal and onto the Mullingar-Athlone greenway and if its all doable on the roadbike?
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_bicycle&route=53.3789%2C-6.5902%3B53.4231%2C-7.9427#map=11/53.4222/-7.2750&layers=C

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

mad turnip wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can switch off the royal canal and onto the Mullingar-Athlone greenway and if its all doable on the roadbike?
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_bicycle&route=53.3789%2C-6.5902%3B53.4231%2C-7.9427#map=11/53.4222/-7.2750&layers=C[/quote

You sure can, signs all along the canal in Mullingar to link you to the Athlone Greenway. And all doable on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_bicycle&route=53.3789%2C-6.5902%3B53.4231%2C-7.9427#map=11/53.4222/-7.2750&layers=C

You sure can, signs all along the canal in Mullingar to link you to the Athlone Greenway. And all doable on a road bike.

Yep, the one thing I'd say is that unless you're stopping in Mullingar I think you're better off staying on the canal and loop around north of the town. Other than having to cross the road at Austin Friars Street / Dublin rd, there's no need to leave the greenway at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Yep, the one thing I'd say is that unless you're stopping in Mullingar I think you're better off staying on the canal and loop around north of the town. Other than having to cross the road at Austin Friars Street / Dublin rd, there's no need to leave the greenway at all.

Agreed, should have mentioned that in my previous post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Thanks lads, OSM doesn't seem to easily allow waypoints, just end to end. Will have to get it done soon so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Thanks lads, OSM doesn't seem to easily allow waypoints, just end to end. Will have to get it done soon so!

I use plotaroute.com, have done so for several version of routes around there even! Allows plenty of waypoints and can download to Garmin for directions if needed...though shouldn't be needed for this route!

All of the Royal Canal from Maynooth westwards and all of the Mullingar-Athlone greenway is either tarred, or crushed and compacted limestone, perfect for a road bike.

You can jump from the Royal Canal to the Athlone greeway at a number of points, the last one being Ballinea Bridge, they run parallel to each other for a few Km.

This is Ballinea Bridge.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5077735,-7.4166093,320m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was checking out a couple of spots along the canal and I just noticed that there's Google Street View, from a barge!

Am I the only not to have noticed that before?

Hurrache wrote: »
    I was checking out a couple of spots along the canal and I just noticed that there's Google Street View, from a barge!

Just noticed it there today myself. I know the Shannon is largely done already, nice to see the Royal done too.

Always fascinating when they go under a bridge and you get to see the stonework, though the camera shuts off on some of the newer ones as it's on the dredging barge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Hurrache wrote: »

Ha ha! Snap! I just discovered that about 2 nights ago and spent much longer than I should have using it to check out the surfacing on the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

KevRossi wrote: »
    Always fascinating when they go under a bridge and you get to see the stonework, though the camera shuts off on some of the newer ones as it's on the dredging barge.

Yeah, I got switched and directed along the road that goes over some of the bridges.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Ha ha! Snap! I just discovered that about 2 nights ago and spent much longer than I should have using it to check out the surfacing on the greenway.

That's exactly what I was doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

The Grand Canal is done too, as well as the Barrow Line (although they have it labelled as the River Barrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

The section between the R149 and the Royal Canal Amentity Group was closed off today, any idea what's going on?

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

RunDMC wrote: »
    The section between the R149 and the Royal Canal Amentity Group was closed off today, any idea what's going on?

R

It's been closed off for months, part of the bank collapsed I believe. edit: going on seven months...

https://twitter.com/royalgreenway/status/1200453046834257921

Advertisement