Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Good to see that Roderick O'Gorman, the only local Councillor to support the current proposals fot the Greenway at the Deep Sinking, has topped the poll in Fingal with almost twice the quota. Pity the Greens didn't run a second candidate in some constituencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Hoping to cycle Dublin to Athlone in June, stay night or two and then back. As much as possible on canal path and the Mullingar Athlone route.

Can get on canal near Lucan/Leixlip.

So hopefully not too many diversions.

Best to use mountain bike or road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Road bike is fine, i have done that route a few times on a road bike, no issues at all.

Road bike is fine, i have done that route a few times on a road bike, no issues at all.

Nice one. Quest Wales next weekend, then I can start plotting route. Will be nice challenge to read through posts to know where to go.

Unless anyone has a gpx route they'd like to share.....

Nice one. Quest Wales next weekend, then I can start plotting route. Will be nice challenge to read through posts to know where to go.

Planning the same trip myself again soon enough. Usually hop on the canal in leixlip or maynooth, but this time round going to start in the city centre, i think i can go from the North Wall as far as Castleknock along the canal, someone correct me if i am wrong. hop on to the road to leixlip and canal/greenway all the way to Athlone.

Barring two small detours on the road after Kilcock and just before Furey's Pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Any particular reason for Athlone or it just seems like a reasonable distance and curious about the Greenways? I'm from Athlone but live in Dublin and planning the same in the next week or 2. Baby due in early July means I need to get these things done soon or lose my window for at least a few months!

My assumption right now (for a road bike) is that it's road to Maynooth, then Greenway to Kilcock, road to Moyvalley then Greenway all the way to Athlone. That's how I did it Athlone to Dublin last September anyway, can share Strava / gpx from that if you like.

edit: just saw loudy's post above., seems like there might be more off-road doable now!

Planning the same trip myself again soon enough. Usually hop on the canal in leixlip or maynooth, but this time round going to start in the city centre, i think i can go from the North Wall as far as Castleknock along the canal, someone correct me if i am wrong. hop on to the road to leixlip and canal/greenway all the way to Athlone.

Barring two small detours on the road after Kilcock and just before Furey's Pub

I ran between Ashtown and Leixlip a few weeks back, From Castleknock to Clonsilla was mud path, would be bit rough on road bike if wet. And same again beyond Clonsilla and heading towards Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

how well do you need to plan out the route? can you rely simply on signs or would you need the route pre planned on your phone or what not?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

silverharp wrote: »
    how well do you need to plan out the route? can you rely simply on signs or would you need the route pre planned on your phone or what not?

Main thing on the canals navigation wise is to check the signs at the bridges for the path changing side. Not sure about the Royal but the Grand does this a fair bit and the wrong side can be a dead end only found out after a few rough kms.

smacl wrote: »
    Main thing on the canals navigation wise is to check the signs at the bridges for the path changing side. Not sure about the Royal but the Grand does this a fair bit and the wrong side can be a dead end only found out after a few rough kms.

yeah thats what i want to avoid :D , if something is described as a path will it be always ok for road bikes? if there is a section you cant use either side will there be an obvious road near by , sign to get back to the canal after?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    yeah thats what i want to avoid :D , if something is described as a path will it be always ok for road bikes? if there is a section you cant use either side will there be an obvious road near by , sign to get back to the canal after?

depends on where you get on the Canal, last few years i have hopped on in maynooth. Last year i had to get off twice and on to the road, only short diversions.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1xycPUGag0xWu8IBNhUytaeQFzVTJthnW&ll=53.42240212502261%2C-6.814328499999988&z=13

if this link works it shows where i had to get on and off the canal

Quiet afternoon in the office....

So played around with mapmyrun.

Does this route look right?

Check out this map on MapMyRun: 123.51 km Dublin to Athlone
    Distance: 123.51 km
    https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2540293903

Includes the two detours Loudymacloud mentioned above.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Quiet afternoon in the office....

So played around with mapmyrun.

Does this route look right?

Check out this map on MapMyRun: 123.51 km Dublin to Athlone
    https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2540293903

Includes the two detours Loudymacloud mentioned above.

Route only visible to your friends, you might want to change it to public.

smacl wrote: »
    Route only visible to your friends, you might want to change it to public.

Think I've changed it to public

New Link:

Check out this map on MapMyRun: 123.51 km Lucan to Athlone
    https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2540347429

Think I've changed it to public

New Link:

Check out this map on MapMyRun: 123.51 km Lucan to Athlone
    https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2540347429

that's great, it will probably be a month or so before I can do it with holidays coming up but it looks like just the ticket.

Hoping to do it in August, planning on getting on the canal at Newcommon Bridge and staying on as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I'm hoping to cycle to Sligo and just want to double check here re the Mullingar to Longford section - that's a completed surface suitable for cycling isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭KevRossi

poochiem wrote: »
    I'm hoping to cycle to Sligo and just want to double check here re the Mullingar to Longford section - that's a completed surface suitable for cycling isn't it?

Yes it is.

If you want a quieter road than the N4, then take the canal to the end at Cloondara and this road to Carrick on Shannon. Same distance, just more relaxed and nice scenery. Jamestown is a great spot for a pint and something to eat.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Ballytoohey,+Termonbarry,+Co.+Roscommon/53.9236762,-8.0300518/Carrick-On-Shannon/@53.8518508,-8.0764131,11.17z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m10!1m1!1s0x485c2b829c11bf87:0xa00c7a997322520!2m2!1d-7.9206435!2d53.7422919!3m4!1m2!1d-7.9222401!2d53.8003986!3s0x485c2aed38b0e82d:0x700e2dae151c1987!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x485e85aa1e1709db:0x5c9d5bba717806d5!2m2!1d-8.0861878!2d53.9451156!3e1

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dermot65

Any idea when greenway section from Moyvalley to Kilcock will be completed, must be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Kilmore Bridge to Moyvalley Bridge (Fureys Public House) (Mar 2019): works are ongoing on the South bank side of the canal to create a surface suitable for cycling. This section of the Greenway is due to be completed in May/June 2019. The Royal Canal Way (Walking Route) on the North bank side is unaffected – for walking only."

Its due to be done. May/June probably means Early July in public service parlance.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Its due to be done. May/June probably means Early July in public service parlance.

I've messaged Waterways Ireland about this and the Cloncurry to Ferrans sections. Normally they are good at replying and I will spread the word here when I hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Cloncurry bridge has new signage, indicating Kilcock is 10km on the north side of the canal, however that side is not finished and comes to a halt about 2km further on. Very confusing to have the signpost up already. Luckily I was doing a bit of recon, before a later in the summer attempt at Longford to Dublin. I snuck onto the new section up to Fureys in Moyvalley. The new ramp is still fenced off, the top surface of gravel/grit is required on this section, but I imagine it's not far off completion. When these 2 sections are finished, it will make an already brilliant amenity even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If I started off at Cross Guns bridge and headed west along the canal path, how far would I get before the path goes to ****e/disappears/whatever? I've just moved into the area and looking for somewhere to cycle, I can't really manage long distances so even 10-15km out and same again back would be grand.

KevRossi wrote: »

Just how bad is it after Castleknock? Ive never been on that part of the canal, could I stay on the canal route, walk the roughest bits and back on the bike. Or just head onto the road for a bit.

Im planning on heading along the canal to Athlone in a few weeks. Hop on at Newcomen Bridge up to Castleknock, on to the road an maybe get back on at Keenan Bridge/Porterstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Just how bad is it after Castleknock? Ive never been on that part of the canal, could I stay on the canal route, walk the roughest bits and back on the bike. Or just head onto the road for a bit.

Im planning on heading along the canal to Athlone in a few weeks. Hop on at Newcomen Bridge up to Castleknock, on to the road an maybe get back on at Keenan Bridge/Porterstown.

After Castleknock it gets rough after 200m, The bad stretch is 1.75km so easy to push a bike along it. You can actually cycle most of the rough bit if it's dry. 2 biggest issues are mud and protruding roots. Should take less than 20 mins to walk/cycle it. Stunning piece of the canal so well worth the walk IMO.

After that it's a mix of grass, path and gravel to Maynooth. Might be some work on the route. I've done it a few times and it's easy done.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

KevRossi wrote: »
    After Castleknock it gets rough after 200m, The bad stretch is 1.75km so easy to push a bike along it. You can actually cycle most of the rough bit if it's dry. 2 biggest issues are mud and protruding roots. Should take less than 20 mins to walk/cycle it. Stunning piece of the canal so well worth the walk IMO.

After that it's a mix of grass, path and gravel to Maynooth. Might be some work on the route. I've done it a few times and it's easy done.

Agree. The Deep Sinking (c.2km) is well worth a look, but pretty difficult to ride. If you're on a road bike you're probably better off walking. After that it's a sometimes bumpy track to Maynooth, some paved path, some gravel path. Doable on most bikes in the dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Does anyone have a Strava route from the Liffey to Mullingar that takes into account the closed and not developed sections? I plan to do this at the start of August with a mate.

• Advertisement

I've messaged Waterways Ireland about this and the Cloncurry to Ferrans sections. Normally they are good at replying and I will spread the word here when I hear from them.

This is the latest update from Waterways Ireland:

"Ferns Lock to Cloncurry Bridge - works are ongoing on the North bank side of the canal to create a surface suitable for cycling. This section of the Greenway is due to be completed in July/August 2019. The Royal Canal Way (Walking Route) on the South bank side is unaffected - for walking only."

"Kilmore Bridge to Moyvalley Bridge – works are ongoing on the South bank side of the canal to create a surface suitable for cycling. This section of the Greenway is due to be completed in July/August 2019. The Royal Canal Way (Walking Route) on the North bank side is unaffected - for walking only."

"Scally's Bridge to Webbs Bridge - works are ongoing on the North bank side of the canal to create a surface suitable for cycling. This section of the Greenway is due to be completed in July/August 2019. The Royal Canal Way (Walking Route) on the North bank side is unaffected - for walking only."

In other words, everything has slipped another few months but it really only affects a few cyclists. The works at Moyvalley could easily have been finished months ago once the new ramp was installed. For those not familiar with Scally's Bridge, it is about a km east of Abbeyshrule and there is a quiet road alongside the south bank to Webbs Bridge in the town. Looks like the days will be a good bit shorter before Maynooth to the Shannon without detours is possible.

Advertisement