Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40k claim for a failed muscle-up

Options
  • 01-06-2017 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

A community gym in a neighbouring parish has just been hit with a 40k claim after some little sh1t broke his arm while trying to do a muscle up.

My village has a new gym connected to the football pitch and I'm just looking for advice on how to make it less likely some cnut will sue, I really don't care if they paralyse themselves as long as the gym doesn't have to pick up the tab.

Any time I have joined a gym or used on a PAYG basis I had had to sign a waiver stating that I accept all liability for any incident. My plan is to draw up one of these documents and make it mandatory to read and sign before a person is allowed to use the gym.

The gym has also changed the locks as people kept getting copies of the key cut.

In regards to the waiver what is the process in writing up one of these? Can most solicitors sort this?

I'm just worried that some little prickk will ruin the gym for the rest of the community. Would really appreciate any info/feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Surely you're training at your own risk unless you're under 1 to 1 supervision; madness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

I would imagine that the fault lies with the person who could have most easily avoided it.

For example if the gym-goer was using the equipment correctly and had checked and found no obvious flaw in the equipment, but it had been poorly made or constructed or set up, then the gym could arguably be at fault.

However, if the gym provided safe equipment and the user either did not execute the exercise correctly or executed a dangerous exercise, then they are at fault as they could have most easily avoided the accident.

Also, it's worth noting that just because someone lodges a claim, it does not follow that they will be successful. This could be a costly and folly venture for the person claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

His claim is that he wasn't shown how to execute the exercise, yano the bullsh1t exercise he saw on YouTube.

And his claim will be successful absolutely no doubt about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So it hasn't been awarded yet? I'd be fairly confident it won't be, unless the gym in question displayed negligence.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

JJayoo wrote: »
    His claim is that he wasn't shown how to execute the exercise, yano the bullsh1t exercise he saw on YouTube.

And his claim will be successful absolutely no doubt about it.

Under that logic you could have grounds if you're sore the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Unless the equipment/gym was negligent then his claim likely won't get far. Not being shown how to do something is not negligence (unless instructed to do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You'd be surprised what claims get through in gyms.

We had a women, who was an experienced gym user, load up a calf raise with **** loads of weight. Start doing reps and tore something her her ankle. I think tendon/avulsion fracture.
    Completely her fault right? Any gym goer would agree I imagine.
    Well her lawyer argued that because the tiny warning label (saying to get instruction, use suitable load, etc) was missing, the gym was liable.
    She was successful, $100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galwegian44

Don't be naive enough to think that the basis for a claim succeeding or not is dependent on who was at fault.

I've spent quite a bit of time arguing the pros/cons of Disclaimers/Waivers with independent Risk managers and Insurance Risk Managers and the general consensus is that you should use them to deter people from making nuisance claims because they don't understand the law. In fact, you cannot sign away your rights so if a gym is negligent in any way then a customer has a valid case regardless of what they signed. Don't go to a solicitor to get a waiver/disclaimer, have a look at what other gyms are using and create your own.

So, to determine negligence or responsibility is a grey area where the advantage in Ireland lies very favourably with the customer, that's why insurance premiums and insurance payouts are so high. Not only do you have to ensure all equipment is in order, staff are trained on all equipment etc but you have to make sure that you have enough supervision to stop even the most stupid customer from hurting themselves through ignorance of the equipment, weight load, technique etc.

Assume that you have full responsibility (not just a duty of care) for the well being of all customers, especially the ones who don't know what they are doing and then you will have some idea of what you must do to avoid or at least reduce insurance claims.

I suggest that you ring your insurance company/broker and discuss your options with them, they can be surprisingly helpful.

Good Luck.

It's crazy how naive some people seem to be about the law, Ireland has developed a compo -culture. Look at two recent cases that made the newspapers, a woman hit her leg against a table in a restaurant and another woman slipped on a chip, both won their cases, both had won previous compensation cases.

In a company that I used to work with in Galway a woman opened a fire emergency door causing the alarm to go off, this caused her distress and she won a claim against the company. I think they settled instead of going to court.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

He'll win. they all win.

• Advertisement

The main problem for our gym is that it is unstaffed, so just a gym at the football pitch that anyone can use, so little ****ts invite their even ****tier gimp friends for a messing session.

In regards to the wavier, would it be possible to just use one from another gym? So just take a copy and make copies?

The only positive about this gimp sueing the neighbouring gym is that it will allow for some tough rules to be enforced.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's crazy how naive some people seem to be about the law, Ireland has developed a compo -culture. Look at two recent cases that made the newspapers, a woman hit her leg against a table in a restaurant and another woman slipped on a chip, both won their cases, both had won previous compensation cases.

In a company that I used to work with in Galway a woman opened a fire emergency door causing the alarm to go off, this caused her distress and she won a claim against the company. I think they settled instead of going to court.

They both won because they proved negligence though. You're making it sound an awful lot simpler than it was.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

another woman slipped on a chip

If you leave food on the floor, and I slip on it and hurt myself, you can bet your ass I expect you to pay the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Zillah wrote: »
    If you leave food on the floor, and I slip on it and hurt myself, you can bet your ass I expect you to pay the bill.
    What if there is no bill?

Brian? wrote: »
    They both won because they proved negligence though. You're making it sound an awful lot simpler than it was.

Just out of curiosity how would you remedy the situation in which the woman hit her leg of the table? Remove all furniture? Maybe have a padded room ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The only way you ensure you don't get stung like this is to completely refresh the judiciary or move to a sane nation.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    What if there is no bill?

If there are literally no consequences for me other than an instant of embarrassment, then there is still an argument to be made for punishing the establishment for being negligent - it could easily have been a fragile old lady slipping rather than a young man.

But more likely in these cases people have injuries that cause them pain and incapacity that interferes with their ability to work and enjoy their lives. Should they have to miss out on living 6 or 12 months of their lives properly without being compensated by the negligent party? That deserves compensation, regardless of any actual doctor's bill.

It was actually one chip.

And this case made the papers due to the ridiculousness of it, it actually made a lot of press overseas due to how stupid it was.

It was actually one chip.

So? It was enough to make her slip. One chip left in a place where people should be able to walk safely is one chip too many - clean it up.
    And this case made the papers due to the ridiculousness of it, it actually made a lot of press overseas due to how stupid it was.

Am I supposed to put more faith in tabloid rabble rousing than the judgement of a court?

Just out of curiosity how would you remedy the situation in which the woman hit her leg of the table? Remove all furniture? Maybe have a padded room ?

The point argued was that she was directed to sit at a particular seat by a staff member. The chair had been placed in such a position that the leg was an obstruction. Therefore the argument was made successfully that the hotel was negligent in directing her to sit in somewhere that there was an obstruction that caused her injury. Had she not been directed to sit there and chose the seat herself then it would be reasonable that she should check underneath before sitting down. (thats a loose explanation of it as I read it at the time...it may not be totally correct, but my point is that she was able to prove someone else was negligent).

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    You'd be surprised what claims get through in gyms.

I am! Regularly surprised...but there are so many variables. From my own experience many of those ridiculous claims get through because the entity has not done enough to defend itself....our courts require you to prove that you took 'reasonable' steps....many entities do this but they have no evidence to back it up and then they lose.

The high cost of litigation is also a massive factor....very often insurance companies will settle out of court for a few grand rather than go through the process (it's purely a numbers game). This leads many people (including bad journalists) to the impression that the person 'won' their case whereas it is often just the least costly option.

So? It was enough to make her slip. One chip left in a place where people should be able to walk safely is one chip too many - clean it up.
    What if the person who dropped the chip had only just past. The cleaners are unable to instantly clean up all food when it hits the floor.

If they fail to clean up when in the area, that's negligence. But in a food court of that size, with that many people, chips will fall all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What if the person who dropped the chip had only just past. The cleaners are unable to instantly clean up all food when it hits the floor.

If they fail to clean up when in the area, that's negligence. But in a food court of that size, with that many people, chips will fall all the time.

This is the same principle as injuries on paths etc. If the correct authority has been made aware of an issue that may cause an injury but have done nothing to remedy it, then they will be found liable, otherwise, probably not.

For more on this, read Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.

That's why you see those cleaning schedule things on the back of toilet doors etc. One way to greatly reduce your chances of being deemed negligent is to show that you have a system in place to limit the risk. There have been many cases where the judge has ruled that the company has a reasonable and proportional system in place and was not reasonably expected to be able to clean up all spills immediately. Perhaps in this case they weren't able to show that.

Do you think there is a single restaurant in the country that hasn't had food on the floor at one stage or another? How can a restaurant possibly ensure that no customer at no.time will knock food onto the floor " where people should be able to walk safely" ?

Because that is the standard that you seem to be looking for.

The law and logic do not correlate when it comes to compensation. Another example that I know of personally is off a person climbing across a fence into my neighbours field to " relieve himself". He climbed the fence and cut his.leg on the barb wire, didn't need stitches but brought a claim because he hurt himself on the man's property, the neighbours solicitor told him to settle.out of court because it could end up very expensive. End result guy gets paid, both solicitors get paid, neighbour gets fooled.

Anyhow this thread has gone off the rails

Best bet is to engage a solicitor.

You could try and draw up something but you'd still need to get a solicitor to review.

Shouldn't be that expensive.

This is the same principle as injuries on paths etc. If the correct authority has been made aware of an issue that may cause an injury but have done nothing to remedy it, then they will be found liable, otherwise, probably not.

For more on this, read Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.
    If somebody told them and they did nothing that's a different story.

That's not what I described however.
    I'm saying that if somebody dropped the chip, and seconds later a person skips on it. How are the cleaners negligent?
    I seen no mention of how long the chip was there. Or it being brought to their attention.
    Yet, this women was awarded €40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

JJayoo wrote:
    In regards to the waiver what is the process in writing up one of these? Can most solicitors sort this?

A waiver won't stand up in the court. Roll rinks always have "skating at the your own risk" yet they are sued all the time.

There has to be negligence for a successful claim. There's no guarantee that this 40k claim will win

If somebody told them and they did nothing that's a different story.

That's not what I described however.
    I'm saying that if somebody dropped the chip, and seconds later a person skips on it. How are the cleaners negligent?
    I seen no mention of how long the chip was there. Or it being brought to their attention.
    Yet, this women was awarded €40k.

If something arose and they weren't told, then they couldn't be expected to know of it being there. In the same sense that the restaurant couldn't do anything about a chip being on the floor if they didn't know about it.

In both cases, neither are negligent because they couldn't reasonably be expected to know about the issue.

That's why what I said wasn't dissimilar.

• Advertisement

Best bet is to engage a solicitor.

You could try and draw up something but you'd still need to get a solicitor to review.

Shouldn't be that expensive.
    Waivers are fairly useless for gyms.
    They cover sports like rugby, MMA, boxing, where there's an expectation of being injured. But if somebody gets hurt in the gym, the waiver is out the window.
    See the calf raise example above. Signed waiver, familiar with equipment, personally to blame. Gets 100k from insurance claim.

Advertisement