Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Forensic tyre examination

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

iguot wrote: »
    Would a 14 year old tyre, never used, sitting in the boot be ok?

The rubber could have perished, but plenty of people have the same spare sitting for longer. So best to treat it like a space saver, don't go over 80 and get it replaced ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Nope
    Del2005 wrote: »
    The rubber could have perished, but plenty of people have the same spare sitting for longer. So best to treat it like a space saver, don't go over 80 and get it replaced ASAP.

+1

Although, I wouldn't bother replacing it, as long as it'll only be used as a spare until you get a replacement the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Would you jump out of a plane with a parachute that had been sitting in the boot for 14 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would you jump out of a plane with a parachute that had been sitting in the boot for 14 years ?

Some people would because it paschhht de NCT on a 'pass advisory' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Throw it away.
    The thread should be a warning not to risk sticking questionable tyres on your car.
    Sincere condolences to the poster and his wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Second hand tyres a year and a half ago and you think maybe the supplier is at fault ??

Your wife could have been kerbing the tyre every day since and weakened it.

It could have been regularly driven soft

The most likely cause of any accident is human error.

I'd love to see stats but it must be minuscule % of accidents that are caused by vehicle defects.

_Brian wrote: »
    Second hand tyres a year and a half ago and you think maybe the supplier is at fault ??

Your wife could have been kerbing the tyre every day since and weakened it.

It could have been regularly driven soft

The most likely cause of any accident is human error.

I'd love to see stats but it must be minuscule % of accidents that are caused by vehicle defects.

According to the rsa, between 2008 and 2012 111 people died and 30 were seriously injured were vehicle defects were a contributing factor.
    Between 2008 and 2012 71 deaths were linked to defective tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

bear1 wrote: »
    According to the rsa, between 2008 and 2012 111 people died and 30 were seriously injured were vehicle defects were a contributing factor.
    Between 2008 and 2012 71 deaths were linked to defective tyres.

But accidents.
    The % of accidents caused by defective tyres compared to human error must be tiny.

_Brian wrote: »
    But accidents.
    The % of accidents caused by defective tyres compared to human error must be tiny.

Taking those stats from the rsa would say the percentage isnt that small.
    71 deaths caused by the tyres is a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Hence why I have to bit my tongue in here when I see numpty's posting about "sure a tyre is a tyre". Spreading dangerous misinformation about a potential lethal shortcut.

Why bite your tongue? I think you should give anyone posting rubbish like that the kind of response they deserve, and absolutely flay them. Anyone taking that approach is just an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully they manage to only wrap themselves around a pole and not involve anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

To fire on to just get the car home or to a tyre shop..... (Driving sensibly!) I'd have no issue using it for a few miles.

Advertisement