Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

The trams generally stick to one line not like buses. One tram off the road shouldn't effect things too much there should be adequate spares as trams are off all the time for repairs due accidents etc. obviously the damage to this one is worse.

The Luas issues go back way further than the bus connects changes last time I was at a concert in the 3 Arena there was a 20 minute wait for the next tram. I was quicker walking to O'Connell Street to catch my bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Economics101

Why did TFI not do a leaflet drop in the Rathfarnham, Ballyboden, Firhouse and other areas impacted by the recent changes? As a semi-regular bus user I had to delve into the TFI website for basic information. And by the way, am I alone in thinking that the TFI webside isvery inefficient for most common-or-garden bus users?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pakb1ue

I'm kinda disappointed the bus lane heading towards Terenure isn't longer. As there is one there at the moment but as it's not enforced everyone uses it and creates big delays if you are on the 14/15B/16.

Page 7/8 - https://templeoguerathfarnhamscheme.ie/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2023/04/03.-General-Arrangement.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

100 percent agree on the above re no bus lane inbound over the river dodder bridge. It only starts after the bridge. But already this is a terrible bus lane as cars use it to go straight to Terenure and the bus gets stuck. No enforcement either. This is always backed up every morning with cars. Yeah it is currently a big cycling hazard. This hazard will be removed because of the cycle tracks proposed. But the bus will have to sit in traffic with cars. Originally there was a proposal for bus lanes inbound and outbound over the bridge. This would have been a game changer and it's very unfortunate that they aren't pushing it under the ABP proposal. The bridge is 16.5 metres wide, so could fit two car lanes, two bus lanes and footpaths no problem.

It's the same up at the small section between Rathdown Park and Bushy Park Road. No bus lanes, all general traffic lanes that the bus has to sit in with cars. Basically no improvement for buses at all. This is the worst congested section inbound on the 15b absolutely, and yet no change under Busconnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Economics101

The section of road between Rathdown Park and Bushy Park Road has so much turning traffic that a Bus Lane would be virtually impossible. Unfortunately there will be pinch points where shared lanes are the only feasible solution

By the way, the lights at this Junction are pretty badly configured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I would imagine that the CPO costs would be astronomical there - sometimes you do have to compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

On the small stretch between Rathdown Park and Bushy Park Road, the current width of the roadway is 17.5 metres (one inbound car lane, one right turn lane, one outbound car lane, cycle lanes inbound and outbound as well as footpaths either side)

Ideally at this location they need one inbound bus lane, one inbound car lane, one right turn lane ont Bushy Park Road, one outbound car lane, one outbound bus lane and footpaths either side. The total width for this would be 19 metres. That's only an extra 1.5 metres that can be compulsory purchased from what are already very large front gardens on enter side of the road. Not impossible by any means. It's only an extra 1.5 metres. Obviously in an ideal world it would be great if gardens could also be compulsory purchased for cycle tracks, but that would add an extra 2.5-4 metres to any compulsory purchase. I think give the constraints at this location it's understandable that the didn't CPO for the cycle tracks. But I don't think that CPOing 1.5 metres extra for bus lanes would have been impossible. This would have made a huge difference to people who use the 16 and 15b. It's a missed opportunity. It really is an awfully congested section of road in the morning. Outbound it can also get very congested in the evening rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Used to get a Luas to town and then bus to Blanchardstown from the 3Arena after concerts. Now sit on a N4 all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Merricat

Just met a woman waiting for the S8 in Firhouse who wanted to know if it went to Dundrum. I was glad I had been reading this thread so I could advise her to get off at Sandyford and switch to the Luas. She actually thought she would have to wait for the 175 and thought it was still in operation.

There really has been absolutely no leafleting locally at all. Not very fair to local people who aren't online, especially older people, which make up a good proportion of the population in this area. I can't understand why the NTA took this approach, unless it was to avoid the kind of reactionary protests we're seeing in more middle class areas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Dublin Bus socials have gotten timplapses uploaded of their phase 5b routes, must say they're quite informative for getting an idea of them.

Route 74:

Route L25:

Route S2:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I learned the 74 nearly 3 months ago and only done an outbound journey yesterday as I'm marked in elsewhere... I used that video to help for the Crumlin part of it, dead handy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is the L25 route in the above video not a bit misleading?

Is it actually allowed to stop at Annaville Terrace, which is at the bottom end of Castlebyrne Park, when it's going to Dún Laoghaire?

I checked the TFI Live app & the TFI journey planner numerous times since it was launched two weeks ago.

No real time info is actually available for that stop at all.

The two other bus stops at St Augustine's School & Benamore Road have real time info available for them without any issue.

There are 2 cancellations in place for the S8 to Dún Laoghaire tonight.

However there is only 1 cancellation recorded for the S8 in the opposite direction to Kingswood Avenue.

There is also 2 cancellations for the S4 from UCD and 1 cancellation when it's going to UCD as well.

It's not a marked stop for the L25, no. I spotted that myself 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BusGuy

I sent an email to BusConnects and the NTA about these pointless changes. Routes 61 and 17 were so handy to go to Nutgrove SC from Dundrum. Now they're gone. I swear if they remove the 44/B in phase 7/8 I'm sewing them, for making people's life uneasier, especially these older people that don't have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BusGuy

There is also the 61 route number at Dawson Street, but it has the new 44D on it. Could they remove it while they were doing the job? IDK if it is still up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sewing them what? A jumper?

You would have no basis to take any legal action and would need significant finances to even try.

Every route in the city will change as part of this.

The 44 and 44b will change but only with minor routing changes, and not until the very last phase.

The planned final network, frequencies and likely phasing is in the thread below:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058321409/busconnects-dublin-likely-phasing-of-new-routes

2 weeks after the timetable at my local stop was changed for the S6, I spotted today that it's been changed again to include the 181 (even though it's only 1/2 services a day)! It doesn't show the route diagram for it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

The S6 is using the same route as the 175 through Goatstown and experiencing the same congestion.

The DLRCC plan for the Goatstown junction will only make matters worse for buses with the introduction of cycle lanes and elimination of slip roads. I get the impression that the couincil is as oppposed to buses as it is to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The 161 and S6 go from Dundrum Luas Station to Nutgrove SC.

Although it is a reasonable walk from Dundrum Town Centre to those bus stops for less mobile people.

It has been said on here a few times but Dundrum Town Centre isnt as well connected by bus as it was, since the BusConnects changes.

I guess the positive is more people will make their way through the village to get to DTC and back and potentially spend money in the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Muller1991

Cant get my head around the route and what purpose it serves to be honest seems to head around the world, What where the loads like ? 3 bells all the way or just passengers using it as a 2-4 stop journey ?

Talking about the 74 BUS ROUTE

Post edited by Muller1991 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Is there anywhere to find out more information about the plans for new BusConnects routes? As in some kind of timeline of when new routes are expected to be built, or what order, or more detailed maps of the proposed changes? I feel like I had previously looked this up and found it but I can't find anything about it now, I only seem to be able to find releases about the routes that have already been built. I'm interested in the D spine routes and can't find anything specific about it at all, like how many years away it's still expected to be or what changes will be made to the roads it goes on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's a post on here somewhere that's a best guess, but the plans are all struggling to be met due to the recruitment issues. Zero point in putting up anything that isn't 100% nailed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Muller1991

As I already posted in this thread (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121378513#), the 74 is a community bus route, to provide connections between various communities that would otherwise not have a bus service.

It isn’t there to be used end to end, but rather it is providing a replacement for the western half of route 17 between Dolphin’s Barn and Rathfarnham, while also providing a bus service for Whitechurch Estate, linking to other bus routes and the LUAS.

As it happens the journey time from the city centre to Whitechurch isn’t that much longer than the 61 took but it does offer a faster option connecting with the LUAS going from Whitechurch to Dundrum.

It also provides a direct connection from the S8 route and Ballyboden areas to Dundrum, which was lost when the 175 was cancelled.

It also provides a connection between each of the four southern orbitals.

People need to look at the big picture map, and think of connections offered to see how routes like the 74 fit in.

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/big-picture-map-170920-oe-web.pdf

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Ah yes, the idea of the radial routes (like the 74) is that they take the less direct routes into town and link up those areas not served by the spines. One wouldn't be expected to take the 74 from Dundrum all the way into Town - that's what the 14, 44 or Luas are for.

So expect more journeys being made along sections of the 74 route, (i.e. Balinteer-Crumlin).

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halfpastneverr

There won't be many changes to the roads to improve the service. All the useful stuff that was initially mooted in busconnects has been watered down. It's basically just renumbering and tinkering with existing routes and using hybrid and electric buses that will sit in the same traffic as the old routes did. G1 replaced the 40, but now sits in additional bumper-to-bumper traffic in Clondalkin alongside Ballyfermot, Inchicore and Mount Brown like the 40 did. Whoever thought of sending so many buses up Woodford Hill & Monastery Road to the Red Cow Luas is a sadist. No bus priority at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have to say I disagree - access by bus to the Red Cow Luas was really poor before and needed improvement.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement