Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung galaxy A5 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

thomasj wrote: »
    Which network are you on & is your phone locked to a network?

I got it from Eir/meteor , but I heard before that some meteor phones are not locked.
    Lucky you, you can (after your upgrade) check by putting in a SIM card from a different network to see if your phone is locked or not. Three are 'still testing' the new software on their networked phones. Strange that the Russians, Germans, The Dutch & even the Americans can have it rolling out for over a month in the case of the Russians & the crowd in Ireland are still testingðŸ€

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Lucky you, you can (after your upgrade) check by putting in a SIM card from a different network to see if your phone is locked or not. Three are 'still testing' the new software on their networked phones. Strange that the Russians, Germans, The Dutch & even the Americans can have it rolling out for over a month in the case of the Russians & the crowd in Ireland are still testingðŸ€

Will do will get a 3 sim and try it out later. Thanks.

426893.png
    Thomas, which theme or setting are you using to give you the black background in your settings screen?
    The Nougat upgrade appeared on the Three network this morning. Seems to run a little smoother & freed up almost a GB of storage in the process.

Thomas, which theme or setting are you using to give you the black background in your settings screen? The Nougat upgrade appeared on the Three network this morning. Seems to run a little smoother & freed up almost a GB of storage in the process.

The theme is android_o_black.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Got the Nougat update this morning from Vodafone, has messed up my SD card ( won't format), seems to be common issue.

Anybody doing the update, advise online is decrypt or remove memory card before updating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Thinking of updating from my S5 which keeps freezing and is driving me mad. Was looking at the S7 but don't want to pay the extra €250 for it.

Would the A5 be better than the S5 or should I just stump up and pay for the S7?

Depends on what you want on your phone.

The A5 2017 is based on the galaxy S7 hardware and software wise only difference is it doesn't have the curved screen.

It was updated to nougat earlier today so fairly up to date .

The main attraction which made me go for the A5 was the battery. It uses a more power-efficent chip than the S5. Battery review from gsmarena, for the A5 highlighted that for the web browsing that the battery lasted over 14 hours whereas for the S7 it barely made 10. It also has quick charge.

It has an FM radio as well which the S7 doesn't have. This mightn't matter for you but for me it was a major factor.

It has 3gb of ram half of the S7 but for me I've never had any performance issues I'm happy.

So depends on what you need in your phone

One thing I would say as well the galaxy A5 2018 will be announced in January and it looks like it will have the infinity screen that the S8 has and will have a bigger battery as well so maybe hold out for that.

Depends on what you want on your phone.

The A5 2017 is based on the galaxy S7 hardware and software wise only difference is it doesn't have the curved screen.

It was updated to nougat earlier today so fairly up to date .

The main attraction which made me go for the A5 was the battery. It uses a more power-efficent chip than the S5. Battery review from gsmarena, for the A5 highlighted that for the web browsing that the battery lasted over 14 hours whereas for the S7 it barely made 10. It also has quick charge.

It has an FM radio as well which the S7 doesn't have. This mightn't matter for you but for me it was a major factor.

It has 3gb of ram half of the S7 but for me I've never had any performance issues I'm happy.

So depends on what you need in your phone

One thing I would say as well the galaxy A5 2018 will be announced in January and it looks like it will have the infinity screen that the S8 has and will have a bigger battery as well so maybe hold out for that.
    Comparison between the A5 2017 & 2018 phones.

This will be my next phone! Looks good

• Advertisement

This will be my next phone! Looks good
    All depends on how much they charge for it. The A5 is supposed to be a mid range model but with each upgrade it's edging closer & closer to it's high end siblings. With those specs it's gonna be difficult to keep it from edging too close to the more expensive devices leaving stuck in a place where no phone wants to be - too expensive for mid range - another few quid why not go for the S8?

All depends on how much they charge for it. The A5 is supposed to be a mid range model but with each upgrade it's edging closer & closer to it's high end siblings. With those specs it's gonna be difficult to keep it from edging too close to the more expensive devices leaving stuck in a place where no phone wants to be - too expensive for mid range - another few quid why not go for the S8?

We'll know in the next few weeks I'm sure but a few things that would make me pick it over the flagship would be the more efficient processor resulting in better battery and the FM radio. It does as much as what you can do on the S8 apart from the wireless charging and the notification light.

We'll know in the next few weeks I'm sure but a few things that would make me pick it over the flagship would be the more efficient processor resulting in better battery and the FM radio. It does as much as what you can do on the S8 apart from the wireless charging and the notification light.
    My wife's niece has the 2017 model & I turned my nose up to it cause I thought it would be too expensive, but the family got me one for my b'day & couldn't be happier. They said that if I want the A5 2018 I have to save up & get it myself 😠I've turned off notification sounds for almost everything but use vibration setting, works better than the light cause you can't see that if the phone is in the pocket. I then use 'do not disturb' so the phone doesn't wake me with the 'vibrating buzz' on the bedside locker overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭monster1

My a5 won't charge now. I plug it in. It overheats at the port, tried different cables, Car charger.
    What would cause this? No luck with Samsung at all

monster1 wrote: »
    My a5 won't charge now. I plug it in. It overheats at the port, tried different cables, Car charger.
    What would cause this? No luck with Samsung at all
    When you say it won't change, do you mean no charge whatsoever or it doesn't get to 100% Mine sometimes takes forever to get to 100% so when it gets to 94-96% & stops I go to device maintenance & kill everything running. After about 5 - 10 mins it gets to 100% Some sites suggest that charging to max all the time doesn't do the battery much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭monster1

When you say it won't change, do you mean no charge whatsoever or it doesn't get to 100% Mine sometimes takes forever to get to 100% so when it gets to 94-96% & stops I go to device maintenance & kill everything running. After about 5 - 10 mins it gets to 100% Some sites suggest that charging to max all the time doesn't do the battery much good.
    Will not charge at all now.
    The USB metal gets very hot too. Was getting random moisture in port warning. But it was dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Wondering whether to go for the next model in this line, the Galaxy A8 which is due this Spring, or the S7, I am not worthy of S8 or S9 as I tend to break and lose things :(

https://www.buzz.ie/amp/tech/samsung-announces-galaxy-a8-266221

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

mutley18 wrote: »
    Wondering whether to go for the next model in this line, the Galaxy A8 which is due this Spring, or the S7, I am not worthy of S8 or S9 as I tend to break and lose things :(

https://www.buzz.ie/amp/tech/samsung-announces-galaxy-a8-266221

For whats its worth I love the A5. I don't think the S range is worth the price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Would anyone recommend the A8.
      [*]

Advertisement