Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung galaxy A5 2017

Options
  • 28-05-2017 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey just wondering could anybody give their thoughts on this phone? Are the cameras any good? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

L360 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering could anybody give their thoughts on this phone? Are the cameras any good? Thanks!
    Got this as a present last week. Very impressed with it given the price of the phone. A lot of sites give the camera a poor review due to lack of image stabilization, but I don't have any problems with that. Attached some photos (hope it works!).

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kifi

Got this as a present last week. Very impressed with it given the price of the phone. A lot of sites give the camera a poor review due to lack of image stabilization, but I don't have any problems with that. Attached some photos (hope it works!).

His good is the video recording?

kifi wrote: »
    His good is the video recording?
    As good as any other phone I've had before. I really can't fault the A5 (2017) given the price. My daughter has the S7, at times she can't even get 4G where we live. I can get a pretty solid 4G+ signal with my A5. Maybe a camera with somewhat higher resolution like the 21 megapixel camera my previous Sony Xperia had. All said tho' a great phone & at a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

I got one of these over the weekend.

I'm still getting used to being back to a Samsung phone after so long away but great phones all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

My other half is looking at this phone. Is there much of a difference between this and the 2016 model as she was gonna go with older model as fifty euro cheaper.

mjp wrote:
    My other half is looking at this phone. Is there much of a difference between this and the 2016 model as she was gonna go with older model as fifty euro cheaper.

More ram, slightly bigger battery, more faster updated processor and is water and dust proof

Amazing phone!

What I love most about it:
    Battery life
    Quick charge
    FM radio and record
    Storage and micro sd
    Water and dust resistance

I got nougat update this morning but I'm not going to install it yet though as I'm happy with the phone as of now and want to hear the thoughts of other people who installed it before I do it

thomasj wrote: »
    I got nougat update this morning but I'm not going to install it yet though as I'm happy with the phone as of now and want to hear the thoughts of other people who installed it before I do it
    Which network are you with? I'm on 3 mobile, no Nougat from them yet although a new baseband/build version was pushed thru' for my phone last week. About 30mb in size, not android N tho'.

• Advertisement

Which network are you with? I'm on 3 mobile, no Nougat from them yet although a new baseband/build version was pushed thru' for my phone last week. About 30mb in size, not android N tho'.

I'm on the meteor network but I get the feeling it might be an unlocked phone.

It wasnt even nougat it was another small update.

It wasnt even nougat it was another small update.
    The 2017 A series phones just passed some WiFi certification test which apparently needs doing to ensure the devices are compatible with any roll out of a new software update being made available. The chatter online is that usually the software rollout begins within a couple of weeks after passing the test.

The 2017 A series phones just passed some WiFi certification test which apparently needs doing to ensure the devices are compatible with any roll out of a new software update being made available. The chatter online is that usually the software rollout begins within a couple of weeks after passing the test.

That's great news we should have it soon! Not that I'm complaining it's a great phone as it is!

That's great news we should have it soon! Not that I'm complaining it's a great phone as it is!
    For sure. I've been working with a hand me down HTC ONE for years now. Thought I would never get a 'reasonably priced' quality phone for years then the A5 2017 came onstream. Super phone, with almost all the bells & whistles most people would want. I've heard some moan about the earbuds quality, but if you go to audio settings & sound quality and effects & adapt sound - the audio is as good as anything I've had on any previous phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think that Samsung's mid range phones are desperately overpriced. They may be perfectly good phones but there is nothing special about them and I'm sure HTC, LG, and others have models that are much better value than the A5.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think that Samsung's mid range phones are desperately overpriced. They may be perfectly good phones but there is nothing special about them and I'm sure HTC, LG, and others have models that are much better value than the A5.
    Granted - but as phones go you do get a lot of bang for your buck with that A5 2017. As with everything 'you pays the our money & takes your choice'. All phones be it high end, mid range or bargain basement have their own shortcomings. But here were discussing the A5 which considering what I paid for it gives me a high end experience with mid range price. Now I see online that depending where you go the A5 can be sourced for under €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Granted - but as phones go you do get a lot of bang for your buck with that A5 2017. As with everything 'you pays the our money & takes your choice'. All phones be it high end, mid range or bargain basement have their own shortcomings. But here were discussing the A5 which considering what I paid for it gives me a high end experience with mid range price. Now I see online that depending where you go the A5 can be sourced for under €300.

Do you have a link to a sub €300 A5? There is a plethora of used ones on eBay at below €300 but I couldn't find any new from reputable suppliers.

Do you have a link to a sub €300 A5? There is a plethora of used ones on eBay at below €300 but I couldn't find any new from reputable suppliers.
    While the sub €300 is a great price for the phone, it's a few weeks ago now but as far as I can recall it was from a French telecoms company. Though while checking re Android Nougat upgrade news for the phone the price seems to be dropping worldwide. Maybe that's because the A5 2018 has been seen on bench tests with new hardware giving it 6GB of RAM & probably due for launch early next year. No price indicated so far for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

There's loads on Adverts from Re-sellers

http://www.adverts.ie/samsung/samsung-galaxy-a5-2017-brand-new/13658520

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

AllForIt wrote: »

I was considering buying an A5, but will probably get a nokia 6 for about €230 soon.

That being said, the Nokia snapdragon processor probably isn't as powerful as the Samsung, so it's cheaper for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Camera probably isn't as good. Might be not much in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

My attraction to the A5 Galaxy is its IP68 waterproofing. I have had an old waterproof S5 for almost 4 years, the longest I ever owned one phone.

I'm no expert, but I reckon it is often moisture that buggers phones, whether that is a damp pocket on a rainy day, or vapour. Just my first ever waterproof phone is also the first phone I had that lasted more than its contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Anyone have issues with their charging port? Mine doesn't stay in place anymore, any movement and it pops out.. Never had that issue with micro usb

Just saw on a US site A5 2017 on sale for $330 (approx €277). They're a company called B&M.

Downloading the nougat update now! Will be interesting to see the changes!

Downloading the nougat update now! Will be interesting to see the changes!
    Which network are you on & is your phone locked to a network?

Which network are you on & is your phone locked to a network?

I got it from Eir/meteor , but I heard before that some meteor phones are not locked.

• Advertisement

426893.png

Advertisement